NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

If I were to guess I think the full-sized NoDa grocery will be built at either Asian Corners or a redevelopment of the Giant Penny / Pet Dairy site. Shannon Park and Shamrock are well on their way to fullblown gentrification. 

Really!? Thats crazy, I'll have to drive around next time I'm in town. Does that mean I can now go to Lang Van and not worry about my car getting broken into?

Edited by Guest

Fairly ridiculous statement. I hardly ever lock my car anywhere I go and have not had any issue. I eat at Lang Van plenty. 

Havent even been to Lang Van in 8 years, as I haven't lived in the city since 2008, it was pretty sketcherrific back then. Loved the food though.

Not to mention I live in a neighborhood in Brooklyn with a lower rate of property crime than this area, but have had my car, before I got rid of it, broken into twice. 

Edited by Guest

Not sure I follow? It's just the under current of subtle racism on this board is a little hard to stomach at times.

There is no racism. No one here is racist. It is what it is. Why should we pretend Freedom Drive is just as safe as Fairview? 

• Like 1

Not sure I follow? It's just the under current of subtle racism on this board is a little hard to stomach at times.

I would never leave my car unlocked at the airport. So am I racist too? Just because someone won't leave their doors unlocked, doesn't mean they're racist. I don't even know how that's even implied. Then again, this isn't the first time you've accused someone of being racist for no apparent reason. 

I've got a friend looking at townhomes in and around NoDa.  Anyone in the know have an idea why are the ones in Renaissance so cheap?  I'm seeing listings for like, $150k for 2 bed/2 bath.  Is that common or is something up with Renaissance?  I just presumed that the townhomes in NoDa would cost more.

I've got a friend looking at townhomes in and around NoDa.  Anyone in the know have an idea why are the ones in Renaissance so cheap?  I'm seeing listings for like, $150k for 2 bed/2 bath.  Is that common or is something up with Renaissance?  I just presumed that the townhomes in NoDa would cost more.

They aren't the best quality and they aren't the most updated, generally. 

I think much of Renaissance is more like apartments that are sold as condos, and as such has a pretty high renter-occupied rate. I'm across the tracks in Steel Gardens, and the typical impression is that Renaissance is a little bit more "wild and crazy," college style. 

• Like 1

All of the above.  A lot of investor owned condos.  I have a friend that owns a couple.  She describes it as a large phrat/sorority house.  Water intrusion issues persist even this long after construction.  Parking is also a major problem.  She said that when she lived there is she got home later than 5:00 she was likely parking back in the neighborhood.

• Like 1

I'm looking at the plans for the Noda Station Crescent development. It can be accessed at Noda(.org) easily.

So, let's see what we have here...

- Ground floor retail with parking in the rear, good.

- Street trees, awesome.

- A parking deck with 200+ spaces... oh come-on!

Its right next to the station, right next to it. Its smack dab in the middle of TOD zoning but it looks like a 1:1 parking space per unit ratio. The parking deck might be hidden but that thing probably costs a huge chunk for construction costs.

My other concern is the developer was able to develop an entire city block. Noda's center contains a variety of small shops with different owners and each looks unique and that is it's strength.

I'm looking at the plans for the Noda Station Crescent development. It can be accessed at Noda(.org) easily.

- Street trees, awesome.

Its right next to the station, right next to it. Its smack dab in the middle of TOD zoning but it looks like a 1:1 parking space per unit ratio. The parking deck might be hidden but that thing probably costs a huge chunk for construction costs.

My other concern is the developer was able to develop an entire city block. Noda's center contains a variety of small shops with different owners and each looks unique and that is it's strength.

So it'll be more than 450 spaces if I remember correctly, and will accommodate parking for a 15k grocery store (targeting trader joes) and a possible boutique hotel above it. You need to be able to target people outside the neighborhood. This isn't downtown, the parking thing matters a little more out here, despite the train.

Noda is like an island cut off from the mainland, except for two connections. Connectivity to the outside world is tough, and accessing a lot of the normal everyday services requires automobile travel.

Edited by Guest

- Street trees, awesome.

NoDa has a population of about 3000 residents.  Even with the rail access that will help bring a couple additional shoppers daily, you'd be signing a death certificate for any grocery store if it didn't offer parking.

Admittedly, I meant more for the residential parking rather than the parking behind the front shop (which isn't that bad). My issue is with the residential parking ratio which assumes every resident will need a car. So, it's now guaranteed that 400 cars will be added to local traffic. What spaces that remain empty will be a drain on the local economy.

This project will definitely help the neighborhood but it will add a-lot to local traffic and I'm worried about the trend of buying up multiple tracts of land. It gives developers an uncomfortable amount of control of space in one area.