NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Crescent NoDa apartments today. Has anyone heard about retail tenants for that location?

DSCN1306.JPG

No, but I heard an announcement for Phase 2 is "coming soon." Are some of those retail spaces 2 floors?

Edited by Guest

Just looks like extremely high ceilings for the retail but maybe with a loft. Perfect for a grocery store which NoDa is lacking. 

https://www.crescentcommunities.com/businesses/multifamily/crescent-noda

Too small of spaces for grocery. Phase two is slated to have a contiguous retail space of 14-15k, perfect size for a standard Trader Joe's or a small scale Aldi (don't knock it, they've gotten good somehow)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I'm absolutely astounded by the fact that its possible not a single of the new TOD projects will be completed by the opening of the BLE. Crescent Noda Station will be the closest. Mercury and Yards at NoDa are already open, but they've been open for a pretty long while. Parkwood Station and the Wood Partners Project just now started construction, and we are still waiting on RAM, Faison, Alexan, Miller Valentine, Noda Lofts, Gateway NoDa and more.

Notice me not mentioning Eller Capital. I think that fella died. 

Just now, UrbanGossip said:

Being an outlier is risky I guess?  I wonder what the vacancy rates are for Mercury and Yards?  If they aren't above 90% occupied these others may have cooled their jets to wait on the BLE to be operating.

the things is... they've cooled their jets so much that the ones that have broken ground will open 1-2 years AFTER the opening of the BLE. 

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I'm absolutely astounded by the fact that its possible not a single of the new TOD projects will be completed by the opening of the BLE. Crescent Noda Station will be the closest. Mercury and Yards at NoDa are already open, but they've been open for a pretty long while. Parkwood Station and the Wood Partners Project just now started construction, and we are still waiting on RAM, Faison, Alexan, Miller Valentine, Noda Lofts, Gateway NoDa and more.

Haven't heard anything about the 2nd Phase of Johnson Mills yet either, which would be about as close to the station as Crescent.

2 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I'm starting to wonder how many of these developments will end up not happening at all...

The attrition rate of SouthEnd buildings, built as initially designed, after the initial light rail opening was probably around 80%. I'd say 95% of them were built in some form eventually (or are being built). The "LoSo" buildings were probably closer to 60% built out as designed. Though we are seeing those lots fill in with development now, with only things close to scaleybark being slower to develop, so I'd say 85% have been built out in some way. (though I'm still pissed that SouthHaus became a Pet Hospital, and Silos was downscaled by 50%)

I'd think there will be similar build out in Noda and Optimist Park, but probably reversed. I think NoDa developments will be 90% built to design, with Eller Capital being the project that doesn't get built. I think Optmist Park will be closer to 75%, I personally don't think RAM will get built, and the rezoned land will get bought by another developer and built in a few years.

With all that said, Optimist Park is a blank slate, and I expect it to look like the area between South Blvd, South Tryon, Bland and Park Ave within the next 8-10 years.

Edited by Guest

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've been wondering about that myself.  Its not like there isn't a similar industrial/occasionally blighted neighborhood revitalization aspect everyone should already have familiarity with from the South End experiment, but on top of this, the line connects UC and already has quirky NoDa which South End did not, to bolster the economics.

Are they perhaps waiting to see if something more can be sustained here than the planned stick on concrete model?  Maybe that is naively optimistic but one can hope.

The one difference between SouthEnd and this extension of the light rail line to NoDa and beyond is that you had an established high end neighborhood Dilworth that was already expanding southward so it was easy to line up apartment complexes along the rail line just a few blocks from the neighborhood. That being said I think you will see these 2 apartments go up and from there other developers will be watching. It is a whole new area for apartments as NoDa only recently had some open in the last couple of years. I think in 5 years no one of will hardly recognize North Davidson and N Brevard as it will be a huge construction zone with some completed new apartments. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think in 5 years no one of will hardly recognize North Davidson and N Brevard as it will be a huge construction zone with some completed new apartments. 

And 5 years ago N Brevard was just a way for trucks to get to the intermodal yard.  Amazing driving down it daily these past few years

• Like 1

Flywheel LLC just closed on 15 acres along the light rail line along Philemon Ave across the tracks from 36th St station and the property goes from Craighead to almost 36th St. They spent close to $6 million. Dirt should be moving within 12 months the article states. 

Subscriber only article here

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/05/04/why-this-charlotte-developer-just-snapped-up-more.html

Article in the Business Journal from back in 2015 on this project

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/07/mixed-use-project-planned-for-nodas-greenway.html

Sounds like this project will get going soon since they made such a big land investment. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Flywheel LLC just closed on 15 acres along the light rail line along Philemon Ave across the tracks from 36th St station and the property goes from Craighead to almost 36th St. They spent close to $6 million. Dirt should be moving within 12 months the article states. 

Subscriber only article here

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/05/04/why-this-charlotte-developer-just-snapped-up-more.html

Article in the Business Journal from back in 2015 on this project

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2015/07/mixed-use-project-planned-for-nodas-greenway.html

Sounds like this project will get going soon since they made such a big land investment. 

Clay Grubb > Tony Kuhn > Daniel Levine 

He's somewhere in the middle... 

I wouldn't hold your breath. Hope Tony proves me wrong, but as I understand he was a contributing factor in the Second Crescent Noda deal falling through. 25 acre urban village on craighead would have been truly groundbreaking, but it fell through in part because of him. 

The biggest thing holding back the N. Tryon corridor, is that spillover from NoDa is impossible because the land on the other side of the tracks. 

1 hour ago, kermit said:

^ I was also under the impression there were some significant remediation issues with that parcel? 

You are correct, there are significant remediation issues, yet, its, as we speak, being developed into a apartment complex with backloaded surface parking and lower density than what Crescent had planned. So the remediation must not have been so bad that it'd effect ones bottom line. 

Edited by Guest

7 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

You are correct, there are significant remediation issues, yet, its, as we speak, being developed into a apartment complex with backloaded surface parking and lower density than what Crescent had planned. So the remediation must not have been so bad that it'd effect ones bottom line. 

So this will be the Junction 1511 of NoDa? I thought Yards already filled that role.

So this will be the Junction 1511 of NoDa? I thought Yards already filled that role.

More like fountains at new bern of noda

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To add to my not so kind words, hes got great vision, and pie in the sky dreams. If I had some money, I'd probably be just like him. Hope he proves me wrong. 

Gonna Add some more speculation to the Urban Planet Boards. 

The architect of record for Crescent NoDa Annex, which is going through Presubmit, is the same architect that did this building in DC. I'd love to see the same in NoDa a neighborhood sorely missing a concept like this.

5.-Union-Market.jpg

Edited by Guest

On 5/11/2017 at 11:26 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Is that a converted warehouse?

yes.

So, confession guys. NoDa has always seemed a touch sketchy to me at night. Then again I will have lived away from Charlotte for 9 years this coming June. This weekend on my unexpected trip to Charlotte, I walked around NoDa and it was actually bustling with people, and very vibrant, I was so impressed. The neighborhood is such a gem, and I don't think that the light rail is going to ruin it. I think NoDa is one of the most special neighborhoods in the SouthEast, and the home/landowners in the area are so lucky to be part of its resurgence. 

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

So, confession guys. NoDa has always seemed a touch sketchy to me at night. Then again I will have lived away from Charlotte for 9 years this coming June. This weekend on my unexpected trip to Charlotte, I walked around NoDa and it was actually bustling with people, and very vibrant, I was so impressed. The neighborhood is such a gem, and I don't think that the light rail is going to ruin it. I think NoDa is one of the most special neighborhoods in the SouthEast, and the home/landowners in the area are so lucky to be part of its resurgence. 

I couldn't agree more.

• Like 1

NoDa and Elizabeth, to me, are the two best true communities in the city.  In terms of an actual sense of place and community involvement.  I'm jealous of everyone that lives in both.  

The Elizabeth 8k is probably the best example of that community feel.  You'd swear you were in a small town, not the heart of a metro of 2.5m.

• Like 2