NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

Nice to see the same blue being used for familiarity's sake, even with an updated and vastly improved design (not that I minded the old sunburst).

I don't know if this guy is local, but in general I love seeing how our street art has started stepping up and diversifying lately. I hope it can spread out a little though, and not be so confined to the NoDa and PM areas. 

• Like 1

>>>Basically the existing RR track crossing North Davidson St above 36th St will be removed and realigned this is from last nights city council agenda. (Link below)

Aberdeen, Carolina, and Western Railway (ACWR) Track Realignment Funding Action: Adopt a resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a Municipal Agreement with the North Carolina Department of Transportation in an amount not to exceed $300,000 for preparation of an environmental document for the ACWR Track Realignment Staff Resource(s): Danny Pleasant, Transportation Timothy Gibbs, Transportation Explanation

§ Funding for the environmental document will be provided from the City’s Northeast Corridor Infrastructure (NECI) Program that is part of the FY 2014 Community Investment Plan.

§ The track realignment project (also known as the North Yard Lead Realignment) was first identified in the Charlotte Railroad Improvement and Safety Program (CRISP) in 2010. CRISP identified a variety of rail projects on intercity rail corridors citywide.

§ The realignment of the ACWR tracks was included in the Blue Line Extension Transit Station Area Plan adopted by City Council in 2013

. § This project will allow the development of compatible land uses and transportation infrastructure to accommodate pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicular traffic in the area.

§ A 2015 study completed by the City identified the realignment of the ACWR tracks east of the Sugar Creek Blue Line Extension light rail station that would best fit into the future area development plan.

§ The project will: - Improve railroad operations north of the Norfolk Southern (NS) Yard near the current Amtrak Station on N. Tryon St.; - Simplify rail yard switching operations; and - Eliminate a number of unsafe neighborhood at-grade rail-street crossings.

§ NCDOT Rail Division staff will oversee the preparation of the environmental document in conjunction with the City. § Environmental documentation is needed before the ACWR track realignment project can become eligible for State or Federal funding.

>>>>>Map of the realignment of the railroad track is on page 114 of this 197 page document City Council Meeting agenda. 

http://charlottenc.gov/CityClerk/Agendas/June 26, 2017.pdf   

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

Is the new alignment going to be grade-separated at North Davidson?

On another note, I would love to see the ACWR used as a rail corridor for East Charlotte. It's run by a short line and very infrequently used. 

I don't believe they are considering any grade separation for the new tracks, the speed and frequency of the ACWR do not suggest that there is much need for that.

contradicting the above, I do agree that the ACWR could make a very interesting passenger corridor,. In terms of ownership, corridor condition and land use the ACWR looks a lot like the Music City Star in Nashville. However,  commuter rail there would really be very ahead of growth (but that gives it an opportunity to shape land use). In addition, the 24 corridor is one of the least congested in town and the road has recently been fourlaned out to Albemarle. 

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, kermit said:

I don't believe they are considering any grade separation for the new tracks, the speed and frequency of the ACWR do not suggest that there is much need for that.

contradicting the above, I do agree that the ACWR could make a very interesting passenger corridor,. In terms of ownership, corridor condition and land use the ACWR looks a lot like the Music City Star in Nashville. However,  commuter rail there would really be very ahead of growth (but that gives it an opportunity to shape land use). In addition, the 24 corridor is one of the least congested in town and the road has recently been fourlaned out to Albemarle. 

Crescent Noda Station seems to have its plans finalized. 

1 Retail building 23k sq feet, 6 retail units. I was really hoping for a small scale supermarket here. I'm kind of disappointed. but hey, a 23k addition to "downtown NoDa" I'm not unhappy.

Edited by Guest

19 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Crescent Noda Station seems to have its plans finalized. 

1 Retail building 23k sq feet, 6 retail units. I was really hoping for a small scale supermarket here. I'm kind of disappointed. but hey, a 23k addition to "downtown NoDa" I'm not unhappy.

Oof.  Area really needs a grocery store of some kind.

Anyone know what is going in behind Free Range (more apartments?) and photo of Crescent NoDa and renovated retail building on N Davidson by Renaissance. It is hard to keep me up with everything going on all over town. 

DSCN3027.JPG

DSCN3028.JPG

DSCN3029.JPG

DSCN3031.JPG

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

Anyone know what is going in behind Free Range (more apartments?) and photo of Crescent NoDa and renovated retail building on N Davidson by Renaissance. It is hard to keep me up with everything going on all over town. 
DSCN3027.thumb.JPG.eb469204d27919475048e857398e15b8.JPG
DSCN3028.thumb.JPG.4d02a56e14fd26ee799064d61bda4ae6.JPG
DSCN3029.thumb.JPG.4abc104fc01f81f4616a4ac9a5b9b0c3.JPG
DSCN3031.thumb.JPG.9fa4a986a0497c3caef2de938b180969.JPG

Ram realty apartments 250 units

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/27/2017 at 6:58 PM, KJHburg said:

>>>Basically the existing RR track crossing North Davidson St above 36th St will be removed and realigned this is from last nights city council agenda. (Link below)

Aberdeen, Carolina, and Western Railway (ACWR) Track Realignment Funding Action: Adopt a resolution authorizing the City Manager to execute a Municipal Agreement with the North Carolina Department of Transportation in an amount not to exceed $300,000 for preparation of an environmental document for the ACWR Track Realignment Staff Resource(s): Danny Pleasant, Transportation Timothy Gibbs, Transportation Explanation

§ Funding for the environmental document will be provided from the City’s Northeast Corridor Infrastructure (NECI) Program that is part of the FY 2014 Community Investment Plan.

§ The track realignment project (also known as the North Yard Lead Realignment) was first identified in the Charlotte Railroad Improvement and Safety Program (CRISP) in 2010. CRISP identified a variety of rail projects on intercity rail corridors citywide.

§ The realignment of the ACWR tracks was included in the Blue Line Extension Transit Station Area Plan adopted by City Council in 2013

. § This project will allow the development of compatible land uses and transportation infrastructure to accommodate pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicular traffic in the area.

§ A 2015 study completed by the City identified the realignment of the ACWR tracks east of the Sugar Creek Blue Line Extension light rail station that would best fit into the future area development plan.

§ The project will: - Improve railroad operations north of the Norfolk Southern (NS) Yard near the current Amtrak Station on N. Tryon St.; - Simplify rail yard switching operations; and - Eliminate a number of unsafe neighborhood at-grade rail-street crossings.

§ NCDOT Rail Division staff will oversee the preparation of the environmental document in conjunction with the City. § Environmental documentation is needed before the ACWR track realignment project can become eligible for State or Federal funding.

>>>>>Map of the realignment of the railroad track is on page 114 of this 197 page document City Council Meeting agenda. 

http://charlottenc.gov/CityClerk/Agendas/June 26, 2017.pdf   

What is the timing on this?

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

sounds like it is a few years off as they first have to do  the environmental study but it also looks like the funding is in place. 

Curious to see how the new portion will look through the warehouses on N Davidson when there is finally starting to be some development by Anderson/Craighead. 

Would be interesting to have a trail on that ROW.  I walk back there a lot, the tracks are in sorry shape.