NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Why would anywhere other than MAYBE uptown do that? Nothing would ever sell or rent out with out parking garages.

You have a better pulse of the market that I do but I'll disagree anyway. I genuinely think that one bedrooms in Southend would easily  rent without parking. The key would be to make it clear that you get a $300 (ish) discount per month thanks to giving up parking and for the market to offer more efficiently priced options -- so a tenant who rented without parking would have the option of paying to park off site (or not having a car at all).  A $300 per month discount (which would be completely doable if the developer can skip building any structured parking) would also pay for lots of lyft and longer term rentals. 

I think the real roadblock to getting this done would be financing a parkingless project.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

When reading the article, it states Flywheel Group President Tony Kuhn quoted the following.... 

“It is one of the only places in the entire region that has transit and greenway connection side by side,” We hope to attract businesses that want to locate in a more sustainable-type development, one that prioritizes interaction and relationships to the community, to nature and to other people within the community. And de-prioritizes the automobile.”

We'll have to wait and see if this vision comes to fruition.

2 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

6 small retail spots fronting 36th St... very nice.

Soooo will that small street on the right curve around and connect to The Yards' street stub?

actually looks like they won't so much front 36, but they will have a sunken presence. The grading is really tough there.

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Enjoying my morning walk through the neighborhood and the same question always tickles my brain:

What were the differences in market forces circa 2007 that got these beatiful, small, contextual mixed-use buildings built? They are a far cry from the Novel and Mercury NoDas of our time.

20171129_080845.jpg

20171129_080909.jpg

20171129_080927.jpg

20171129_091626.png

20171129_081040.jpg

Nothing really to do with Market Forces. Has more to do with the available amount of land. These are built on small parcels in what was more of an untested market. Because of BLE theres now a belief that this will become a ROBUST market and people are developing the big parcels available now. 

^^I disagree that the FatCity Building is contextual or properly scaled.  To be contextual, it really should have made more of an attempt to look like a 2-3 story building.  To be properly scaled, it should have made an attempt to scale back at the 5 story mark....  

North Davidson is WAY too small a street for 6 stories.

6 minutes ago, archiham04 said:

^^I disagree that the FatCity Building is contextual or properly scaled.  To be contextual, it really should have made more of an attempt to look like a 2-3 story building.  To be properly scaled, it should have made an attempt to scale back at the 5 story mark....  

North Davidson is WAY too small a street for 6 stories.

Truth, and it destroyed a beautiful two story building to boot. But it STILL is more contextual than Novel or Mercury (as conscientious a job as they did), so I've been  appreciating it all the more because of that.

Took me 10 years to feel that way, but here we are.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Truth, and it destroyed a beautiful two story building to boot. But it STILL is more contextual than Novel or Mercury (as conscientious a job as they did), so I've been  appreciating it all the more because of that.

Took me 10 years to feel that way, but here we are.

Novel is built nearly a block off the street in order for them to put a contextual building with 6 spaces for retail tenants on 36th Street. I'll follow up and try to get renderings again.

27 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Novel is built nearly a block off the street in order for them to put a contextual building with 6 spaces for retail tenants on 36th Street. I'll follow up and try to get renderings again.

I did balk at typing Novel, as well, since we still don't have a perfect idea of that 36th St piece. And it's a large awkward lot to boot.

Edited by SgtCampsalot

4 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I did balk at typing Novel, as well, since we still don't have a perfect idea of that 36th St piece. And it's a large awkward lot to boot.

I think theres plenty to complain about with all these projects, but I think you guys will forget about it when N. Davidson between Parkwood and Matheson Bridge become a literal canyon on midrises in 5 years.  I also think North Davidson between 13th and Parkwood will struggle to stay single family homes. There will be bigger things to beotch about int the future. 

was kind of curious what was flippers/investors in that residential area, vs. long time residents. So I made a diagram. Figured I should share with someone LOL.image.thumb.png.7e20320f0004d234aeec9860cfe51a3d.png

Edited by Guest

Sooooo, I heard something interesting...

A co-worker went to a neighborhood meeting tonight at the Evening Muse. There he was told a few things about the half block across the street. 

1) Moo and Brew backed out. He was told the building that they were to occupy on the corner is to be torn down in 2ish years.  But not just that building...

2) So is Smelly Cat. I have not been on gis to confirm but he was told it's all owned by the same person and will be developed at the same time. Replacing both of those will be...

3) Condos/apartments/I don't know because my coworker doesn't know the difference between them. Wasn't specified if it would be grounded with retail.

4) The parking lot owner of Davidson street Public house wants to put in a more permanent farmers market type something. Similar to the one at Smelly Cat on Saturday. Apparently people there weren't to happy with the possible loss of those parking spaces, said it would burden the neighborhood.  

So what are your thoughts? Did anybody else go to the meeting? Does anybody know how true these are? 

20171205_225959.thumb.png.e7a7ae3e5646d097e5e680fd8c93003e.png

Disclaimer: I didn't go to the meeting so the details could be off or wrong. This is just what my co-worker repeated to me.  

Edited by 11 HouseBZ

Sooooo, I heard something interesting...

A co-worker went to a neighborhood meeting tonight at the Evening Muse. There he was told a few things about the half block across the street. 

1) Moo and Brew backed out. He was told the building that they were to occupy on the corner is to be torn down in 2ish years.  But not just that building...

2) So is Smelly Cat. I have not been on gis to confirm but he was told it's all owned by the same person and will be developed at the same time. Replacing both of those will be...

3) Condos/apartments/I don't know because my coworker doesn't know the difference between them. Wasn't specified if it would be grounded with retail.

4) The parking lot owner of Davidson street Public house wants to put in a more permanent farmers market type something. Similar to the one at Smelly Cat on Saturday. Apparently people there weren't to happy with the possible loss of those parking spaces, said it would burden the neighborhood.  

So what are your thoughts? Did anybody else go to the meeting? Does anybody know how true these are? 

20171205_225959.thumb.png.e7a7ae3e5646d097e5e680fd8c93003e.png&key=de4cc16edf9ef204e5c4b6a38b6f67a4c4e6acd44dc4073e479249285241a2e7

Disclaimer: I didn't go to the meeting so the details could be off or wrong. This is just what my co-worker repeated to me.  

Smelly cat has been saying they’ll sell to developers for years. Still don’t understand how the average non UP layman doesn’t understand the difference between condos and apartments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have no doubt this corner will be sold in the next few years.  The owner is a longtime landlord in Charlotte and at one time in 2007 owner atleast 750houses/commercial property.  He sold 300+ Homes to a hedgefund a few years ago for 16mil+ about. Can’t remember exactly. Google tom Moore and you’ll see the article.  They sell anything when somebody gives them a number they like.  THey aren’t attached To anything. He’s involved in a few other projects are ours town we all know about.   A total real estate junkie

5 hours ago, Higgs Boson said:

Can't blame them.  But still really sucks.

Hate losing Smelly Cat + that building.   In the very least, the retail / street presence of new building better be awesome, that's a pretty key location.

Company Store is staying right?

Talked to Company store this morning. They are planning on staying, don't know anything about what is going on around them. Sounds like 2.1 acres along Yadkin, 36th and NoDa is owned by a singular entity. That could be quite an assemblage for Noda. 

Edited by Guest

Yeah, CharlotteFive had an article about it last year.

It is one of the biggest bummers of all. However, it would truly be exponentially worse if the Company Store or Davidson St Public House buildings went away; they have far more nuanced street presence and pocket-level character than the big house. Although it's tragic that last year Smelly Cat has just finished making the best interior and exterior improvements to their seating/patio area that I could have imagined.

The Co. Store bldg is owned by Paul and Ruth Sires (one of the original artist couples who made "North Charlotte" a gallery destination). I'm glad they're sticking to their guns. I foeget and can't get onto Polaris GIS to see the Public House lot owner.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2

Not sure if this is North NoDa or SugDa but at Sugar Creek station Flywheel plans a town center.  From a subscriber only article of the Business Journal

""But Kuhn is also planning another project just north of the Greenway District that could come to fruition a little earlier — a dense, mixed-use town center with primarily retail and office space off the Lynx Blue Line Sugar Creek Station at 530 and 600 E. Sugar Creek Road.   

The first part of the town center project, ongoing now, will convert a 45,000-square-foot existing warehouse at 600 E. Sugar Creek Road, once home to Source Recycling, into new uses. Kuhn said art galleries, music venues, breweries and co-working operations are the types of users envisioned for that space, called the Station House.

At least one tenant will be finalized in the coming weeks, though Kuhn declined to give specifics. He indicated about 10,000 to 15,000 square feet of that building is already accounted for. Tenants will begin operating at the Station House, at the corner of Sugar Creek Road and Raleigh Street, by the spring, Kuhn said.""

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/12/06/developer-details-plans-for-new-town-center-near.html

• Like 1