NoDa (N Davidson St Arts District) Projects

uptownliving

I think maybe CLT704 was trying to make the point that people should just ride the public transport there instead of needing so much parking space, but unfortunately that is wishful thinking in America people are too attached to their cars... It would be great to not have to waste so much land to store things that we spend so much money on but only use 5% or less of the time we own them. 

• Like 2

Until the city is fully connected (North, South, East, and West) by light-rail/streetcar the need for parking seems inevitable to me.  Bus commuting isn't usually very direct from point to point (or enjoyable for that matter), and only a very small percentage of the population currently lives within easy access of the light-rail.  I know if I am going to NODA (or to catch the light rail in general)  it makes the most sense for me to drive there (based on the best use of my time and money).  That won't change until the city has a fully connected rail network.  Developers are considering current need as opposed to potential need in 20 to 30 years.  Just my 2 cents though... I know it might not be a popular opinion on UP.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Until the city is fully connected (North, South, East, and West) by light-rail/streetcar the need for parking seems inevitable to me.  Bus commuting isn't usually very direct from point to point (or enjoyable for that matter), and only a very small percentage of the population currently lives within easy access of the light-rail.  I know if I am going to NODA (or to catch the light rail in general)  it makes the most sense for me to drive there (based on the best use of my time and money).  That won't change until the city has a fully connected rail network.  Developers are considering current need as opposed to potential need in 20 to 30 years.  Just my 2 cents though... I know it might not be a popular opinion on UP.

I do agree, just hate it has to be that way. NoDa has a huge parking problem as it is so hopefully the light rail will help alleviate that. Since I moved from NoDa into uptown I have rarely gone back because parking is inconvenient. I will probably go more often when the light rail opens. 

Maybe one day we will have enough public transport that some of these stand alone parking decks can be converted to something more useful. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JSquare said:

I do agree, just hate it has to be that way. NoDa has a huge parking problem as it is so hopefully the light rail will help alleviate that. Since I moved from NoDa into uptown I have rarely gone back because parking is inconvenient. I will probably go more often when the light rail opens. 

Maybe one day we will have enough public transport that some of these stand alone parking decks can be converted to something more useful. 

I also agree w the need for sporadic parking lots in certain areas. But having lived in the North Charlotte area for some time I've never understood the common refrain of parking shortage issue. I always find a spot if I'm willing to walk a few blocks. Am I being an urban snob that is detached from the layman's reality?

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 4

^I don't think it is being an urban snob so much as being familiar with the area. Better signage would help the suburban/rural folks who only come into the city a dozen times a year or so be more comfortable. I've heard this parking complaint (and the "it's too dangerous" complaint) everywhere I have lived. It also helps to not drive a Land Rover or Escalade. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I also agree w the need for sporadic parking lots in certain areas. But having lived in the North Charlotte area for some time I've never understood the common refrain of parking shortage issue. I always find a spot if I'm willing to walk a few blocks. Am I being an urban snob that is detached from the layman's reality?

I agree, I have no problem parking in NoDa. 90%of the time I park on Yadkin between 33rd and 34th and walk two blocks to wherever I want to go (or 37th if I want to go to Salud). This is a far shorter walk than I make everyday in Uptown and far less frustrating than parking around Montford. 

FWIW, parking in NoDa reminds me of parking in Portland... you’re never going to park in front of the place you want to go. Just go a few blocks into the residential and walk, no problem.

That said, the moment the BLE opens I’m not driving up there again unless I’m already in the car when I decide to go. 

Edited by JoshuaDrown
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, JoshuaDrown said:

I agree, I have no problem parking in NoDa. 90%of the time I park on Yadkin between 33rd and 34th and walk two blocks to wherever I want to go (or 37th if I want to go to Salud). This is a far shorter walk than I make everyday in Uptown and far less frustrating than parking around Montford. 

FWIW, parking in NoDa reminds me of parking in Portland... you’re never going to park in front of the place you want to go. Just go a few blocks into the residential and walk, no problem.

That said, the moment the BLE opens I’m not driving up there again unless I’m already in the car when I decide to go. 

+1 to all of the above. 

17 hours ago, elrodvt said:

^I don't think it is being an urban snob so much as being familiar with the area. Better signage would help the suburban/rural folks who only come into the city a dozen times a year or so be more comfortable. I've heard this parking complaint (and the "it's too dangerous" complaint) everywhere I have lived. It also helps to not drive a Land Rover or Escalade. 

1 hour ago, JoshuaDrown said:

49 minutes ago, kermit said:

+1 to all of the above. 

So a few months ago I was pulling out of a street spot directly in front of Crepe Cellar, and as I pulled into the street, there was one lone Range Rover sitting at the stop sign in front of me who had just let out a lady who herself went into Crepe Cellar.

I (and the ~12 people accumulating behind me) sat there for over a minute, sometimes politely tapping our horns, as this gentleman sat there with his right-turn signal on, not moving at all. He was just sitting there doing nothing.

Upon rounding the second minute of this wait, I tapped my horn a second time. This man then stormed out of his car in a heated fit, flung his arms at the empty spot I just left, and screamed at the top of his lungs, "I'm trying to f----ing park in that spot! GO AROUND, G----MNIT!!!" And then got back back in his car, slamming the door.

So... this guy... wanted me, and every car behind me, to pass his car, which is sitting at an intersection, and drive our cars AGAINST traffic (which had not stopped flowing, mind you) because he wanted a street spot directly in front of the restaurant he and his wife were going to.

And he wanted the spot so badly he screamed at me.
His wife was probably mortified, but she was also probably used to it.

Enough people were sitting behind us that they kept honking and he eventually peeled away at a dangerous speed.

So yeah, some people need to chill.

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 3

Just saw this on NextDoor. 

Hopefully this upcoming parking study will help things in NoDa...

NoDa On-street Parking Enforcement - Pilot Program Underway

The Charlotte Department of Transportation (CDOT) has begun a two-part pilot project intended to improve traffic and pedestrian safety for NoDa residents, businesses and visitors. During the month of January Park It! will increasing awareness, education and enforcement of on-street parking regulations in the area bounded by North Davidson, North Alexander, North Brevard and 36th streets. Illegally parked vehicles including those who impair sight distances, impede turns, block fire hydrants or driveways or prevent emergency vehicle and school bus access may receive warning citations. Full enforcement will occur for two-weeks beginning February 1st. Additionally, existing on-street parking will be converted to LOADING ZONES ONLY in the 3200 block of North Davidson Street for two-weeks beginning February 1st. Surveys will be distributed and data will be reviewed following the trial period to determine the impact on community safety. For more information visit http://charlottenc.gov/Transportation/Pages/default.aspx or contact Allison Naftel at [email protected] or 704-336-3922.

63d32a80757d869d072a779128d96c43.jpg.max548.jpg
  • Like 2

Eh, more the the uber drop offs right in front of the fire house. Especially the ones that say "just a sec, I need to pick up somebody real quick" as 7 is leaving the house for an emergency. The concrete pad out front has become the unofficial drop off point for ride sharing.  This would move drop offs to the new loading zones. The biggest part of this is the education on parking for 36th, Yadkin, Alexander, etc, specifically parking near intersections, fire hydrants, home owner's driveways.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 11:11 AM, SgtCampsalot said:

Man... a functioning modern city needs as much street parking as possible! And I'm saying this as one of those aggressive bicycle advocates.

Also, if there's one street that is safe to bike on with traffic, it's N Davidson St between the YMCA and 36th St.

I don't think that is true for an artery road 2 miles outside of center city, particularly when the issues you described above are commonplace.

38 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Yes,  that is that is what I was saying.  I don't think on-street parking is necessary for functioning there if it backs up traffic.  On-street parking on the adjacent streets is desirable.

On street parking is what makes that street so safe in the first place. It needs on street parking all the way from uptown to sugar creek. Notice how it's more dangerpus outside of noda's CBD?

• Like 4