Memphis Grizzlies

sleepy

The Grizz lost tonight to Miami. Not unexpected with Shaq and crew.

Anyone here go to the game? It's going to take me awhile to get knowledgeable about the new Grizz, with all the trades and new players, particularly since I follow from afar.

Just went to one game in the Pyramid, and that was a couple years ago, but I've only missed one game at the Target Center in Minneapolis against the T-Wolves.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the Orlando Game last week. I had a good time. MUCH different atmosphere than what I expected. I was very pleased. Beale now has an even better vibe to it with the Grizzlies there. I am still torn about the Pyramid though.

I've only gone to one pre-season game so far. For some reason, I seem to be the only person that LOVED going to games in the Pyramid. Don't get me wrong, the Forum is nice, but the Pyramid was one of my favorite places to visit. I never experienced the leg discomfort that so many people always used to fuss about and I'm six feet tall.

I am with you on that. I've been to the Pyramid and liked it. The Forum has much nicer finished look to it but that is something that a good remodelling will give you too. While I like the Forum I think it was very silly to build it when the Pyramid could have been spruced up and been just fine. If the Grizzlies really wanted to be in Memphis then they could have dealt with the Pyramid as-is or with some upgrades. Professional sports teams are sometimes just to diva-esque with their demands and as you saw with Memphis getting the Grizz... they'll go to bed with any city that builds them a new facility (same for the Oilers/Titans) Just my opinion though.

I really liked the Pyramid too, and really enjoyed the game a watched there a couple of years ago. The new arena is great and will do great things for the city and the area over by Beale, but had the Pyramid not been built on the wrong side of the interstate exchange I think it would have had a much better effect on downtown and in its ability to be attractive to the citizens of town. I think folks like the ability to eat and drink immediately after or before events without have to drive to or from a venue. Thats going to be a big plus for the FedEx Forum IMO.

Absolutely I agree with you. The atmosphere on Beale has just been totally changed - really cool and very busy on game/event nights. The Pyramid should have attracted more development than it did, but then again that area has just picked up a lot of new projects. The trolley does run near the pyramid on Main I know so as soon as Main Street develops itself a little more maybe we'll see a couple of different entertainment districts emerge. I really would like for the pyramid to somehow coexist with the forum.

The main reason that the Pyramid did not get referbished was that due to being a Pyramid there was not place to add in high priced boxes. As far as development around the Pyramid, the city made mistakes and people were looking for big bonanzas. When they moved to Fed-Ex, the city was smarter with zoning. It also already had a big start and the area was an addition. I haven't ever been in the Fed-Ex, but I know that my mother doesn't like it as much. In the Pyramid, she had her Handicap Parking outside and see came in at floor level and only had to go up a handfull of low rising steps to get to her seats. Now she says that she is up higher and it is much more difficult for her to manage. She is thinking about not renewing.

The main reason that the Pyramid did not get referbished was that due to being a Pyramid there was not place to add in high priced boxes. As far as development around the Pyramid, the city made mistakes and people were looking for big bonanzas. When they moved to Fed-Ex, the city was smarter with zoning. It also already had a big start and the area was an addition. I haven't ever been in the Fed-Ex, but I know that my mother doesn't like it as much. In the Pyramid, she had her Handicap Parking outside and see came in at floor level and only had to go up a handfull of low rising steps to get to her seats. Now she says that she is up higher and it is much more difficult for her to manage. She is thinking about not renewing.

The reason she sits up higher is because of how the building is made. Street level is actually the third tier because the building is partially underground.

I am with you on that. I've been to the Pyramid and liked it. The Forum has much nicer finished look to it but that is something that a good remodelling will give you too. While I like the Forum I think it was very silly to build it when the Pyramid could have been spruced up and been just fine. If the Grizzlies really wanted to be in Memphis then they could have dealt with the Pyramid as-is or with some upgrades. Professional sports teams are sometimes just to diva-esque with their demands and as you saw with Memphis getting the Grizz... they'll go to bed with any city that builds them a new facility (same for the Oilers/Titans) Just my opinion though.

Well, the Pyramid was built during a time when arenas were going through a transition. You're going to see the same problem with similarly-built arenas, such as the Orena (Orlando), and even Arco. I think St. Louis's Kiel (now Savvis) Center was built around the same time, and showed the newer arrangement (primarily the more-numerous suites). The Pyramid was inadequate in the number of suites, restaurants, etc. In order for it to be renovated up to standard, it would've cost almost as much as much as a new arena. It wasn't built to be easily upgraded, therefore, renovations would've involved significant structural issues.

My Pyramid memories are great. When it's packed, it get's f'in LOUD, and I don't think it gets enough appreciation for that.

Well, here's to hoping that the new use for such a land-mark building is world-class, and multi-dimensional (i.e. combining cultural, entertainment, and retail).

The reason she sits up higher is because of how the building is made. Street level is actually the third tier because the building is partially underground.

What's interesting/sad, is how big the Pyramid really is from actual ground level (parking lots). From Front, it doesn't look as big, because so much of it was built on the lower bluff.

And what they did that was smart with the FEF was to prevent the land-squatting that crippled the north Main area, and turned it into a disgusting ocean of parking lots around the already-existing ocean around the Pyramid.

Let's hear it for the Grizz tonight--112-92 over the Mavs in Dallas, breaking the Mavs' 7 game home winning streak. Gasol with 36 pts., 15 rbs, and 5 assists. He's really stepped up to earn his $50 million. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

The Grizzlies are now #2 in the West and still aren't getting the respect they deserve. They are beating respectable teams by double digits and it all seems to go under the radar. Why are the Grizzlies constantly treated like a B list team when they are clearly one of the premiere teams in the NBA?!

The Grizzlies are now #2 in the West and still aren't getting the respect they deserve. They are beating respectable teams by double digits and it all seems to go under the radar. Why are the Grizzlies constantly treated like a B list team when they are clearly one of the premiere teams in the NBA?!

No flashy attention-grabbing star. Well, that just means we'll just have to win the title. That'll grab some attention.

I think the fact that its Memphis is one reason, people tend to not take southern cities too seriously outside Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. for some reason when it comes to fielding teams. Its like Memphis "has" to have a B team simply because its Memphis. Thats just kind of the perception I get.

Like Clobber says if they go far in the playoffs and/or were to win a title then they would get better attention and respect...but I still think there would be alot of folks and pundits who would chalk it up to an fluke the first time.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, consistently staying 3rd or 4th best team in the West is very imnpressive. I think more and more people are beginning to notice that and notice that the league's best scoring defense resides in Memphis.

Side question(s): Have the Grizzlies caught on much in the rest of Tennessee?

If not, any thoughts on why? Hoping for Nashville to get one, dislike/non-support of Memphis in general, stronger presence of another regional team (Charlotte, Atlanta), or just not big on the NBA or some other reason?

Well, consistently staying 3rd or 4th best team in the West is very imnpressive. I think more and more people are beginning to notice that and notice that the league's best scoring defense resides in Memphis.

Side question(s): Have the Grizzlies caught on much in the rest of Tennessee?

If not, any thoughts on why? Hoping for Nashville to get one, dislike/non-support of Memphis in general, stronger presence of another regional team (Charlotte, Atlanta), or just not big on the NBA or some other reason?

The games are broadcast on radio here, but otherwise there is not a lot of press or discussion on talk shows. Right now hockey is doing well and is somewhat popular, but the 800 pound gorilla in sports are the Titans. Although the Preds appear to be legitimate Stanley Cup contenders, draft talk and Pac-Man talk still dominates the discussion.

But there is no resentment. Most people I kow were glad to see Memphis go major league. I think Nashville would prefer a ML Baseball franchise to the NBA anyway.

The favorite NBA team may still be the Bulls as a couple of Vandy players played with them. I don't think the Hawks get much interest.

Nashville's spectator sports interests, imho, are ranked;

1-5. Titans

6. Nascar

7. College Football (mostly UT, some Vandy, TSU, a lot of transplants supporting their old schools; Ohio State, Michigan, etc.)

8. Predators Hockey

9. College basketball (Vandy, UT, Kentucky, MTSU, OVC, Belmont/Lipscomb)

10. Major league baseball (Braves dominate)

11. Golf

12. NBA

Obviously high school sports are well supported as they are in any city and receive a large amount of press, but I wasn't sure if or where it would fit into the above list.

Would continued success this year and a possible run in the playoffs spur greater interest in Middle TN for the Grizzlies?

I know it took Memphis a couple of years to become interested in the Titans (mainly because, let's face it, we got screwed on that--and then they had the nerve to play in Memphis while the stadium was built) because there was some serious resentment. But most have gotten over that, and there are many avid fans here now.

As for the Predators, they're aren't many fans here--hockey is one of those sports that, in the South, really has to be close to home to get in to for most Southerners anyways (Although I have been a big Blues fan for several years but the strike last year killed my NHL fervor for now). But maybe success in the playoffs will result in a Predators fan base starting here in Memphis.

Any other thoughts on Grizzlies' fan presence in Tennessee outside of the Memphis area?

Would continued success this year and a possible run in the playoffs spur greater interest in Middle TN for the Grizzlies?

I know it took Memphis a couple of years to become interested in the Titans (mainly because, let's face it, we got screwed on that--and then they had the nerve to play in Memphis while the stadium was built) because there was some serious resentment. But most have gotten over that, and there are many avid fans here now.

As for the Predators, they're aren't many fans here--hockey is one of those sports that, in the South, really has to be close to home to get in to for most Southerners anyways (Although I have been a big Blues fan for several years but the strike last year killed my NHL fervor for now). But maybe success in the playoffs will result in a Predators fan base starting here in Memphis.

Any other thoughts on Grizzlies' fan presence in Tennessee outside of the Memphis area?

If the Grizzlies made a run in the playoffs and knocked off, say San Antonio or the Lakers, it would definately create a buzz here. I believe people here would jump on the bandwagon a root for them. All that assuming the Preds aren't making a simliar run in the NHL.

We would all like to see the state of Tennessee hold three of the four major league championship trophies some day.

NBA in Nashville just isn't popular. I think many Nashvillians view the NBA as a buncha spoiled, wild, kids from the hood who now have millions. Football, NCAA, NASCAR and now the NHL do dominate the Nashville sports scene. Also the grizzlies haven't marketed in Nashville. Since Little Rock is closer and more of a basketball following, the grizz have focused their marketing attentions towards there. Now Little Rock has the Grizzlies farm team, an occasional pre season game, and I think an express bus and with discounts at hotels for Little Rock residents. Nashville's FSN rarely played Grizzlies games and the TV only spoke of the grizz during the playoffs.

Before the NHL lockout, there was talk of a Grizz-Pred trade. The grizz play a preseason game in Nashville and the Preds play a game in Memphis. IMO that wouldve been an uneven trade since hockey is way, way less popular in Memphis than the basketball is in Nashville. For example, many Memphis high schools share one hockey team because out of the 30+ high schools in the city can't get 8 players needed. The Memphis City Schools team (Metrostars) even consist of a few schools in the county. I'm not really a fan of hockey but know a few people who are in Memphis. I don't know how the Riverkings are doing but I doubt its a packed house.

How did the NHL become popular in Nashville? They hosted the NHL draft a few years back. When I first found out Nashville had an NHL team I was like "Woah, theres an NHL team in Nashville? Why?" When I lived in Wilson County, people there also weren't sure how Nashville had a hockey team. Somehow it just seems to work.

I think it was one of those, "if you built it, they will come" sort of things. Nashville had the size for an NHL market, had a fair share of Northern displacees, and were excited about professional sports already with their football. So it caught on, but probably really didn't take off until this year, when, thanks to the freshly implemented salary cap, they actually got a shot at being a premier team.

Did anyone catch the article in the Commercial Appeal last weekend talking about sports in Memphis and how Memphis dominates the basketball/baseball scene while Nashville has the hockey/football scene? I think it'd be pretty awesome to have (one day) Memphis with NBA AND MLB teams while Nashville has the NFL and NHL teams...

Archived