Memphis Grizzlies

sleepy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think AZP has the space to expand so we would have to have a new stadium to support MLB. I think I read somewhere that Memphis should be considered for a team. It said that behind New York and DC, Memphis would be the best spot to put a team. This was before the Nationals but I hope Memphis doesn't get a team until the newness of Autozone park wears down. Its a great enviorment and I would hate to see the Redbird fans leave and go to the new MLB stadium.

Can the Memphis market support 2 pro sports? I would rather wait till the grizz are selling out most games, and redbirds continue to draw well at the same time for a while.

I think it would be a long, long time before a small market like Memphis would ever get a MLB team. The league would have to get some handle on salary and revenue-sharing.

Even Minneapolis--pop. 3 million--is considered a small market, barely able to turn a profit.

I don't think AZP has the space to expand so we would have to have a new stadium to support MLB. I think I read somewhere that Memphis should be considered for a team. It said that behind New York and DC, Memphis would be the best spot to put a team. This was before the Nationals but I hope Memphis doesn't get a team until the newness of Autozone park wears down. Its a great enviorment and I would hate to see the Redbird fans leave and go to the new MLB stadium.

Can the Memphis market support 2 pro sports? I would rather wait till the grizz are selling out most games, and redbirds continue to draw well at the same time for a while.

Yeah I read that same article, or you might have read me saying that somewhere. I read once that a few years ago that Memphis ranked behind New York (a 3rd team) and DC in its diserability and ability to locate a MLB team. I think Memphis's high ranking was due to the lack of regional pro-teams, the city's huge regional draw, distance from any other MLB teams, and large local fan-base for the sport.

NBA in Nashville just isn't popular. I think many Nashvillians view the NBA as a buncha spoiled, wild, kids from the hood who now have millions.

I wonder how they rationalize a distinction between the NBA and the other three leagues, two of which have residence in Nashville? Aside from the lack of guaranteed contracts in the NFL, which, in all honesty, hasn't diminished the attitude of entitlement in the NFL. Really, there are just as many spoiled "kids from the hood" in the NFL as there are in the NBA. Maybe it's an issue of the NFL has better handlers for the image of the league than the NBA, but the reality is there isn't much difference, aside from the guaranteed contracts. And, in many ways, that can make for even more contentious players with the attitude of entitlement to high-dollar contracts.

Perhaps this question would be better asked in the Arkansas forum, but I'll ask here anyway. When the Grizzlies first moved to Memphis I remember them really trying to appeal to thie whole region, including Arkansas. I live in the west part of the state so I never felt much of the influence over here. But I was curious if they still try to bring in people from across the region and do many people from outside the Memphis area go to games or keep up a lot with the Grizzlies?

Perhaps this question would be better asked in the Arkansas forum, but I'll ask here anyway. When the Grizzlies first moved to Memphis I remember them really trying to appeal to thie whole region, including Arkansas. I live in the west part of the state so I never felt much of the influence over here. But I was curious if they still try to bring in people from across the region and do many people from outside the Memphis area go to games or keep up a lot with the Grizzlies?

They've made some effort, but not as much as I'm sure many would like. They had a preseason game in Little Rock this year, I think. Hopefully that will be an annual thing. Isn't Little Rock also an NBDL site? Could be wrong on that.

I think the push into the state will be gradual, so I doubt NW Arkansas will feel it for a while. Hope I'm wrong though.

I know West Tennessee outside of Memphis supports the team fairly well and it gets media play in the Jackson and smaller media markets, i would assume the same to hold true for Northern Mississippi and NEARK. As far as Little Rock not as sure, Memphis's reach in Arkansas I don't think tends to go much further than Jonesboro/EARK, however in MS it goes all the way to Jackson, where you can buy the Commercial Appeal off the street downtown.

Parts of the Purchase Region of KY also is in the pull of Memphis, and I'm sure some folks go to games from there, but its local media markets (Paducah, Mayfield, Murray, etc) do not cover it there much at all, as UK, Murray State University, and Southern Illinois University college ball dominates their media.

• 1 month later...

NBA in Nashville just isn't popular. I think many Nashvillians view the NBA as a buncha spoiled, wild, kids from the hood who now have millions. Football, NCAA, NASCAR and now the NHL do dominate the Nashville sports scene. Also the grizzlies haven't marketed in Nashville. Since Little Rock is closer and more of a basketball following, the grizz have focused their marketing attentions towards there. Now Little Rock has the Grizzlies farm team, an occasional pre season game, and I think an express bus and with discounts at hotels for Little Rock residents. Nashville's FSN rarely played Grizzlies games and the TV only spoke of the grizz during the playoffs.

Is there really much of a difference between NASCAR and the NBA? When it comes to attitudes of the participants, the criticism of the NBA can just as easily be attributed to NASCAR. There are as many demonstrations of thuggish behavior, poor sportsmanship, self-centered attitudes in NASCAR as there are in the NBA. When I think of a sport where players punch each other, get into fisticuffs and brawls, cop attitudes with each other, often act self-righteously, I put NASCAR and its characters right up there with the NBA. I don't think NASCAR is any place to look down on the NBA, with the discipline problems and poor sportsmanship many of their stars demonstrate.

• 2 months later...

Grizzlies play the Mavs on Sunday. I think they stand a good chance since the Mavs looked worn down last night against the Clips. Lets hope their burn out continues into the playoffs. Whats up with grizzlies attendance? I've barely been able to follow the Grizz this season since I'm in hockey country and the only basketball team that has any following up here are the Pistons. They seem to be doing well but Memphis aren't filling the stands. Is a grizzlies game that goes until 10:30 too late on a school night for families to leave the suburbs and come downtown for a grizz game or are tickets truly too expensive?

Game news

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/stories...tml?jst=b_ln_hl

It's sad that we got the best seeding this year that we have ever had in the playoffs (5 or 4 depending on how you look at it), and we still have to play one of the top 2 teams in the Western Conference. But our strong play heading into the playoffs should translate to a couple of wins at least. If we can take a game or two in Dallas, then we should be able to win the series with our solid home record.

Grizzlies play the Mavs on Sunday. I think they stand a good chance since the Mavs looked worn down last night against the Clips. Lets hope their burn out continues into the playoffs. Whats up with grizzlies attendance? I've barely been able to follow the Grizz this season since I'm in hockey country and the only basketball team that has any following up here are the Pistons. They seem to be doing well but Memphis aren't filling the stands. Is a grizzlies game that goes until 10:30 too late on a school night for families to leave the suburbs and come downtown for a grizz game or are tickets truly too expensive?

Game news

I think the success of the Tigers drained a lot of people's basketball interest for the Grizzlies. I also think there was just the letdown that comes from a 2nd season in a new facility. I've also read that the Grizzlies marketing is terrible. They also lost JWill and Stromile who had a lot of fans.

The last two years ended as real duds--they fizzled their way into the playoffs and then lost 4 straight. The team has never won a playoff game.

I expect the playoffs to do well in attendance and that the Grizz will win at least two games which will help next year's attendance. If they would actually win the series, ticket sales would skyrocket.

Game news

Personally, I don't think attendance is bad. This year's average is about 15,000 or 16,000. For an arena that seats 18,000, thats 83%-88% of the seats being filled every night. The only complaint I think the Grizzlies have is that there are less sellouts this year than last year and I think that may have something to do with the Tigers' success. Also keep in mind that Memphis is the smallest market in the country to have any professional sports franchise. They can easily get more fans into the stands with a little more advertising because IMO the price of tickets is reasonable. You can still buy $5 tickets in the upper bowl and considering there isn't a bad view in the Forum, thats a great deal (cheapest in the NBA also).

Personally, I don't think attendance is bad. This year's average is about 15,000 or 16,000. For an arena that seats 18,000, thats 83%-88% of the seats being filled every night. The only complaint I think the Grizzlies have is that there are less sellouts this year than last year and I think that may have something to do with the Tigers' success. Also keep in mind that Memphis is the smallest market in the country to have any professional sports franchise. They can easily get more fans into the stands with a little more advertising because IMO the price of tickets is reasonable. You can still buy $5 tickets in the upper bowl and considering there isn't a bad view in the Forum, thats a great deal (cheapest in the NBA also).

I think the title for smallest market for a team is Green Bay. Since I have to follow the Grizzlies from afar (Grizz barely get any talk on ESPN) I see alot of empty seats. And when the grizz do get on national TV, the crowd just isn't rowdy enough. Memphians being quiet isn't the Memphis I remember :unsure:

How did the NHL become popular in Nashville? They hosted the NHL draft a few years back. When I first found out Nashville had an NHL team I was like "Woah, theres an NHL team in Nashville? Why?" When I lived in Wilson County, people there also weren't sure how Nashville had a hockey team. Somehow it just seems to work.

Here is the story from someone who would know. Me, LOL!!

Back in 94-95, the NHL had promised to move the New Jersey Devils out of Jersey to Nashville. That deal fell through after the Devils won the Cup. They, the city of Nashville, had already approved the arena so now the city was left hanging. The NHL then said that they would place an expansion team in the city to occupy the new arena. *GO BACK A FEW YEARS NOW* While excavation for the Amsouth Tower was taking place back in the 80's they found the full skeleton of a Sabertooth Tiger. That later becacme the reason for the name of the hockey team, The Nashville Predators, and the meaning behind their logo. Jersey remains where they have always been and now Nashville has their team as promised. Cool story, eh?

I think the title for smallest market for a team is Green Bay. Since I have to follow the Grizzlies from afar (Grizz barely get any talk on ESPN) I see alot of empty seats. And when the grizz do get on national TV, the crowd just isn't rowdy enough. Memphians being quiet isn't the Memphis I remember :unsure:

Yeah, even UM fans have complained about the lack of noise in the Forum this year even though their attendance was top 10 NCAA.

I've never been inside, but it must be so fancy it's like someone's living room that people feel they have to act nice. Maybe that's it. As far as all the doo-dads and amenities, it's supposed to be the top college arena in the country and one of the top NBA's.

I went to some Tigers games in the old Mid South Coliseum, and that was electric--standing the whole time. That only seated 11,000 and was sold out in season tix for years. There's that old story when Memphis played Louisville, there were timeouts because switchblades were being thrown on the floor. :w00t:

At Freedom Hall, didn't Denny Crum go after a Memphis player with a chair? :angry:

The good old days. I miss the old Metro Conference.

The Pyramid was pretty wild too at times.

Back in 94-95, the NHL had promised to move the New Jersey Devils out of Jersey to Nashville. That deal fell through after the Devils won the Cup. They, the city of Nashville, had already approved the arena so now the city was left hanging. The NHL then said that they would place an expansion team in the city to occupy the new arena. *GO BACK A FEW YEARS NOW* While excavation for the Amsouth Tower was taking place back in the 80's they found the full skeleton of a Sabertooth Tiger. That later becacme the reason for the name of the hockey team, The Nashville Predators, and the meaning behind their logo. Jersey remains where they have always been and now Nashville has their team as promised. Cool story, eh?

Yeah I heard about the saber tooth tiger. Intresting. But why did NJ want to move their NHL team to Nashville? I would think that a place up north or a huge city would have more support. Is there a history of hockey in Nashville I don't know about or were there just a gigantic number of NE transplants back then?

Yeah, even UM fans have complained about the lack of noise in the Forum this year even though their attendance was top 10 NCAA.

I've never been inside, but it must be so fancy it's like someone's living room that people feel they have to act nice. Maybe that's it. As far as all the doo-dads and amenities, it's supposed to be the top college arena in the country and one of the top NBA's.

I went to some Tigers games in the old Mid South Coliseum, and that was electric--standing the whole time. That only seated 11,000 and was sold out in season tix for years. There's that old story when Memphis played Louisville, there were timeouts because switchblades were being thrown on the floor. :w00t:

At Freedom Hall, didn't Denny Crum go after a Memphis player with a chair? :angry:

The good old days. I miss the old Metro Conference.

The Pyramid was pretty wild too at times.

Haha maybe the Fedexforum 's security is too tight. Someone throws a switch blade on the FF's floor attendance may drop like the Mall of Memphis. I think the acoustics of FF maybe to blame for the lack of noise but why not bring in towels or something.

Yeah I heard about the saber tooth tiger. Intresting. But why did NJ want to move their NHL team to Nashville? I would think that a place up north or a huge city would have more support. Is there a history of hockey in Nashville I don't know about or were there just a gigantic number of NE transplants back then?

Why do they have hockey teams in California, Arizona, Atlanta, Charlotte, Tampa, and Miami (I think)? The NHL was in expansion mode, Nashville wanted a pro sports team for its new arena, voila.

Why do they have hockey teams in California, Arizona, Atlanta, Charlotte, Tampa, and Miami (I think)? The NHL was in expansion mode, Nashville wanted a pro sports team for its new arena, voila.

California's team is in LA i guess which is a huge city. I think its the same for AZ which is probably Phoenix (6th largest city in the US and 3,792,520 in metro), Atlanta (metro pop. 4,708,297), and Miami (over 5,000,000). As for Charlotte (1.5 million), and Nashville (1.3 million) I'm clueless. Tampa has 2.6 million and has an MLB and NFL team so they might attract some people from the Orlando area. Im not a hockey follower so I have no idea what attendence at these cities are.

I got my tickets for game 3! :D I'll be expecting a sell out so everyone go get tickets. We've got to get this playoff monkey off of our backs. Dallas made the Grizz look more like a cub yesterday night :(

Yea lets hope for a sellout and a win. One win will be good enough :silly: Don't forget to wear white

playon_stew-325.gif

Archived