Nissan HQ coming to Cool Springs

it's just dave

The huge headline in the paper this morning: Cool Springs lands Nissan HQ.

Sure, we'd all like for Nissan to land downtown, but it won't happen. Now it's time to celebrate the testament to Nashville's business communities for landing this important HQ. This is big.

Nissan wants a campus and this campus could easily have ended up in Texas, but it's not. It's coming here. Downtown or not, it's still a coup for Nashville, the region. I'll feel better when the official announcement is made, but according to the paper, the arrangements for such are going on now.

Once more, this is big, big, big. It's things like this that will create a continuation of the buzz about Nashville that's transforming our city into what we want to be. It's a big puzzle, and a giant piece is about to land in our laps.

1,300 high-ends just don't happen everyday. I'll await the official announcement while holding my breath.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great News!!

D'town would be better but a win is a win as they say in sports. Hopefully Nissan will get involved in the community to a greater degree than most Williamson County Corp's.

We all wanted it DT but either way this is crazy wonderful news. The door as been open for a while now and who knows what huge corp wants to move here next. They didnt call Nashville the #1 business relocation city for nothing. Man this is significant.

This is great news but secretly i'm pouting about this being another feather in Cool Springs' hat. How long will it continue to suck blood away from the inner city? This would be alot better for nashville if it was IN NASHVILLE. Okay i'm done being negative. lol

Sweet news no doubt. But it is a win, even if it comes with a price i.e. more sprawl. YUCK! I guess it is more "bittersweet" than anything. LOL!!

BNA, you know it will continue as long as the leaders in Nashville let it. They need to start strong arming Cool Springs and Williamson County to conform to certain development guidelines set out by the Nashville Metro planners. We all do have to live and work here and a uniform transit plan and growth plan is the best intrest for all involved. I know that CS is in a seperate county, but it is still part of the regional planning. Nashville has got to get a healthy corporate climate downtown that is capable of landing that 1,000 employee HQ like Nissan. Hopefully the recent announcements and development will do just that. I remain hopefull and glad though.

Its in the Nashville Metro and is great boon for the city and Middle Tennessee. All I care about is thats it here. Had it put it in Smyrna great, M-boro great,.....Jackson superb ;) lol,.........wait thats West Tennessee.....anyway.....as long as its coming to Tennessee thats what matters to me. Its a huge feather in the cap of this state and of Nashville, and when other folks see a big feather like that they start looking at Tennessee in a more positive and interested way; which means it may spur on more companies looking and locating operations in our great state. This is a great event in the business history of the state and more importantly in regards to our state's good relationship with the Japanese business community, who have done a whole heck of alot to better this state economically.

I'm very excited now, but I won't go all out in my jubilation until it is officially announced, but I'm officially optimistic now.

You know ancillary benefits may include direct flights to Japan (Parent Corp of Nissan N.A.) and/or France (Renault owner of Nissan) or at least additional connections to gateway cities.

i can understand why nissan is moving to cool springs and not downtown. as dave was saying, they want a campus. there simply isn't enough room downtown for a campus the size that nissan needs. while i hate to see another company move to cool springs, it's still a great land for middle tennessee and the whole state. just think, it could have just as easily have gone to texas.

There are many reasons the new headquarters will be in Cool Springs and not Davidson.

1- Cool Springs is in a "wealthier" area. That will be a big attraction fo these high paid execs. Green Hills might be the only place in Nashville that would have been considered, but even then...

2- Williamson County schools. Wealthy school district with high marks. Green Hills couldn't provide that except with private schools like David Lipscomb

3- While we all referred to their "old" headquarters as LA, they were really... in the suberbs there too!

4- While Tennessee is certainly more pro-business and pro-growth than anywhere on the left coast, Williamson County is more pro-business than Nashville-Davidson County. I think the city council could do much better, but the city council certianly needs to be more like 10 or 15 members, not 40! The average citizen doesn't follow politics, and if there were 10 instead of 40 on the council, there would be more media about each councilman, and thus the voters would be more likely to hold them responsible (good or bad) at the ballott box.

I live in on the Smyrna/Lavergne border in Rutherford county, and I really would have liked to see the headquarters come here. If you haven't been on Sam Ridley Parkway lately, it is really turing into an upscale area. Between I-24 and M'boro Road, we now have a YMCA, Starbucks, Publix, and there is rumor a Target is coming! Add to several sit down reastaurants and you have a rather upscale strip coming to North Rutherford county.

Great news for the Nashville metro and the state of Tennessee as a whole. I agree with its just dave, whether it is in Cool Springs, Smyrna, Downtown, wherever, what a great addition for it to be anywhere up there and not some other place. I also agree with Rural King, a company of this stature locating its corporate N.A. headquarters in Nashville may spur up others to look at the area and state for possible operations. Great points by everyone. I read the story in the Tennessean and then in the LA Times today about the possible moving of Nissan HQ. The LA Times article talked about how Nissan employees out in Gardena are said to be upset about the proposed move and how some executives say that they expect many of the staff will resign rather than relocate to Nashville. If this is true, that may be great in itself. In my opinion, that means more job opportunites for people in the area!!! The Nashville area should be excited about this one. Even more excited when the official announcement is made. Great news!!!!!

Here is the LA Times article,

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-niss...ack=1&cset=true

LOL @ those poor Southern Californians. I pitty their pissy attitude toward the situation. Oh well, that means more for us, eh?

Seriously, I have had a few hours to absorb it and would have to agree with RK and Dave on this. It is just awesome all around and may contribute to growth like never before.

Way to Go to middle TN. I was raised in Nashville (West Meade) from age 6 and lived in L.A. (Redondo Beach) in the '70's (even voted for Jerry Brown). What people in CA have to realize is that they voted in their anti-business politicians and have laid big burdens on companies out there from regulations to tax policy. Obviously the top management at Nissan is very unhappy with the political and cultural landscape, so they have made the understandable Red State jump. And to former boss Katayama I would say that the Golden Age of California is gone, tailing off starting when I was there. L.A. is now the capital of Mexifornia. Hollywood is the capital of culture rot. Gardena, where my girlfriend lived, is on the Harbor freeway and now surrounded by high crime neighborhoods where many illegal immigrants live. The schools in Los Angeles County are a shambles, and so that the struggling immigrants can get their shot at the American dream, residents have to subsidize education and services for them at exorbitant cost. And to be able to live in a safer neighborhood and own your home you either have to be rich or have bought real estate decades ago.

Sorry to sound political but I'm more sorry for what California used to be, and the road people out there have chosen to go down. Remember how they used to say how California goes so goes the nation? That statement used to be a badge of honor for our west coast friends. You don't hear the phrase so much anymore because the rest of the country doesn't want it to be true. I'm glad to say I live in a state of balanced budgets.

TG- Houston, TX

I do hope they make the official annoucement on Thursday as anticipated. Even though this seems more than speculation, nothing like a press conference to validate the rumblings coming from the media.

You make a good point about Katayama. At 96, he remembers the California gold and a different way of life than Californians are facing today. The story in the paper today about his letter to Nissan made me feel as though we were hearing the thoughts of someone who isn't totally aware of the changes TG just mentioned. It's tough to see the current state of the Los Angeles area.

I believe those affected by this move and choose to make it, will be pleasantly surprised at the beauty of our area, and the true bang for their buck they'll experience here. Many of their new neighbors in Brentwood, Franklin and Nashville will have merely preceded them from California and they'll fine this won't be the "foreign" land many of them may fear.

BNA, you know it will continue as long as the leaders in Nashville let it. They need to start strong arming Cool Springs and Williamson County to conform to certain development guidelines set out by the Nashville Metro planners.

[reluctantly joins coversation...] I would propose that it was the "strong arming" attitude that drove them from Los Angeles in the first place. The corporation clearly seeks less regulation and the lower operating costs that come with it. Failure to recognize this only makes nashville vulnerable to the same type of corporate relocation, maybe to some place with even lower taxes and fewer regulations like Texas or Nevada.

[reluctantly joins coversation...] I would propose that it was the "strong arming" attitude that drove them from Los Angeles in the first place. The corporation clearly seeks less regulation and the lower operating costs that come with it. Failure to recognize this only makes nashville vulnerable to the same type of corporate relocation, maybe to some place with even lower taxes and fewer regulations like Texas or Nevada.

Good point and well taken. I think that a more regional planning enforcment can be a good thing, but yes, can also be a bad thing too. I guess with every "good" thing comes a little baggage so to speak.

I'm watching it right now on Channel 5! Thanks for the tip off that it was on! Its a great day for Tennessee!!!!

I'm up for Nissan moving all the corporate offices they want here. In fact I hope they decide Tennessee is such a great state to do business and locate in that they decide to put another future assembly plant or two in the state. Can you imagine a Nissan plant in each Grand Division......okay I need to come down to earth now. ;) It's a nice thought though.

WOW!!

I was just reading the Nashville City Paper online, and I am speechless. On the front page there is an article on the state of Nashville's schools. It goes into the low funding for schools, as well as the closings and consolidations due to the budget. On the same page, there is also an article about the relocation of Nissan to Williamson County. This move will spur hundreds of thousands of dollars in tax revenue to the city. Money that can go a long way in a county having a hard time balancing its' budget, and funding its' schools. And yet, Mayor Bill Purcell never offered Nissan any incentives to go to Davidson County?!?!?!?!?!

Here is the quote:

"Nashville Mayor Bill Purcell said

Davidson County did not offer any

incentives to Nissan, but pointed to

the side effects that Nissan

Archived