Nissan HQ coming to Cool Springs

it's just dave

The move didn't happen overnight. The wheels began rolliing in 2002. Check out the stories at Tennessean.com to see the course of events that led to yesterday's announcement. This move will be good for the entire state, more specifically our immediate region. There were multiple locations, up to 10 being looked at any one of which could have beat us in the race, but they didn't.

Several locations were scouted, Cool Springs happen to have what Nissan was looking for. Downtown Nashville will profit by having the company's headquarters there for two years. In that time, others will come.

I've always lived here. The synergy created in this region blurs the county lines somewhat. Let's not look at this as a glass half-empty, but one that is full and running over with positive ramifictions.

All of this growth and development in Nashville was all happening before this annoucement by Nissan was made. It will continue. I offer three cheers for our "community" and congratulations specifically to Williamson County which is a true feather in the cap of our greater Nashville area.

This was an extremely complicated issue and I offer no knowledge to the specific hard work that went into make this happen. The mayor was on the plane at the first meeting and very involved in this exercise of salesmanship throughout the process. We should all be proud and not let a few miles dampen the importance of this coup.

One interesting thing, however, is the "teaser" annoucement of another major headquarters moving to the area...probably Cool Springs. So, Nissan choosing Nashville is important. 15 miles south of downtown is fine with me, it sure beats being first runner up, like Dallas, or any of the Miss Congenialities who got nothing but Dear John letters.

There's a snowball in the works for our beautiful city. Let's enjoy it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Dave!!!

I agree with you that this will be good for the whole area... and I was in no way minimizing this great win for middle tennessee! Having said that, it really shocked me that the mayor would say that Davidson county offered no incentives to have nissan relocate to Nashville specifically. While I know this will bring peripheral benefits to Nashville, it is not the same kind of benefits that will be brought to Williamson County. If Nissan were to build a skyscraper in downtown Nashville to house its corporate headquartes, if all those employees were to look for housing in the downtown area, etc.. etc.. it would propel the boom now started in downtown at even greater proportions. And it would bring more taxes and benefits to Nashville. As it stands, it will still be really good for the entire region, but the brunt of the bounty will fall on Williamson County. Again, not taking away from this great accomplishment. Just found it surprising that the mayor did not offer incentives to bring the headquarters to Nashville.

I'm sure there was a sales effort in place, but the decision was Nissan's alone. They looked downtown, but it didn't satisfy their requirements. I doubt that would have changed no matter what the incentives were or were not.

Putting myself in Nissan's place, and as much as I love being downtown and as much as I want downtown to prosper, if I had to sell an area to folks in Los Angeles, I would pick the most pristine, most accessible, most comfortable, most amenity-filled area with the best schools, beautiful housing options that I could. I think they did that.

Downtown is still a work in progress in a large way. It needs the work and while the work continues, it's a bit inconvenient. So, when all is said and done, and Nashville has her pretty new dress on and ready for the dance, I'm sure we'll see some very attractive business relocations downtown.

This latest relocation should keep us at the top of the list in the minds of executives in relocations. I'm certain this isn't the end of it.

Incentives go both ways as well. Do the costs of getting the business outweigh the benefits of having it over the line in another county? Nissan would not have come in and re-drawn the public school system. In Williamson County the kids can attend public schools. In Davidson, you'll pay $8-$15K a year for private school, benefitting the local public system very little, if any. If the workers occupied a downtown office building, these highly paid workers would probably still live in Williamson County for the most part.

The city has extended incentives on many levels, the Titans, Dell Computer and on an on. The wisdom is some of those is still in question, but I believe in residual benefits, they were the right decisions. I believe the benefits we'll get from this are even more valuable in that we, here in the city, won't have to pay, through various means, for a company to locate here. We have to catch our breath and do what's right for our community. Nashville will benefit, Nashville will get the credit, and Nashville will prosper partly because of this Williamson County success.

My hat's off to those affecting my wallet not giving away the farm. Now we have the money to do other things.

I don't want to sound like I'm preaching like I often do, but ... oh well, I guess I do. I preach to you all the time, Paula. I guess I'm just "Dad" at heart. lol

Yeah, T, one of the news guys last night mentioned something big in the works, but said no one is talking....outloud, yet. No idea, but it sounded as though it was going to happen sooner rather than later.

We'll see.

I too, believe it or not, have heard some rumblings. But I have no details.

I wanted to tell you all that it has been confirmed about the Nissan HQ for quite some time now. Some employees at the Smyrna plant have been pulled from their respective jobs to help HR there start relocating employees for over a month now.

It seems like a lot of us come across occasional 'insider' information that we are not allowed to divulge without violating a trust. Why don't we have Rural King start another sub forum that plays off the 'blind' items in NY Post PageSix. Ha Ha

Lexy your info about Nissan could have read:

"What Asian Manufacturing company currently located on the left coast but directed from the city of lights has been sniffing around our fair town? Word on the street is that they are looking to relocate employees sooner than later."

Of course we would have to be able to post anonymously so maybe not...

^ LOL! I have that info becasue I have a mother-in-law that is an Area Manager for the company and is really good friends with Dan Gaudette the Senior VP of Manufacturing for North America and Quality. If I release this stuff before hand, it could get ugly. LOL!!!! I just sit on some stuff till it's the correct time to let it be known. You know how it is.

Moving Nissan's North American headquarters to Tennessee may be a good thing for the state... BUT, I strongly doubt this will be good news in the long run...

Why?

If it the same bull about "The Car culture" thing, then that is useless. The design center is staying in California and Michigan. The presence is not totally gone.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember earlier in the year I was on the bid site and we were talking about the National HQ building up for bid in Franklin. I did go back and look it up and the bid was calling for a 7 story building I think a hundred twenty some thousand sq ft on 40 acres. Sounds like the Nissan site now. That may give us some insight as to the size of the building.

I remember earlier in the year I was on the bid site and we were talking about the National HQ building up for bid in Franklin. I did go back and look it up and the bid was calling for a 7 story building I think a hundred twenty some thousand sq ft on 40 acres. Sounds like the Nissan site now. That may give us some insight as to the size of the building.

That may be the site, but I think the Nissan building(s) will total far more square footage than that. I look forward to the unveiling of the building design.

Archived