Lansing Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I spent my lunch hour walking through campus and unfortunately my batteries died. But after getting some photos and seeing some other prospective locations for future photos, I was curious where you guys have taken photos on campus.

It seems like there are not many good shots to be had around MSU. Just my 2 lincolns, but for as beautiful as this place is, I have a hard time getting good shots.

I've never really tried to get any pics around MSU, it would seem that trees would get in the way a lot of things. If you could get to any high points, on top of buildings or parking ramps that may make for some nice shots.

MSU really is hard to photograph. Here are some pics I got last year, though, that may give you some ideas on some views:

116162975_e8d8266662_o.jpg

116162976_feb8e936b6_o.jpg

116162974_a7bff8154a_o.jpg

116172737_b9f3b43447_o.jpg

116172738_184a8be5bc_o.jpg

116172736_ad351442e0_o.jpg

BTW, the City Center Parking Structure, downtown, offers some great views of "downtown" MSU. Another good place to photograph is the Beal Gardens that run behind the library, and anything along the trails on the Red Cedar. South campus is pretty hard to photograph, and there isn't much worth to photograph down there, anyway, though there is an interesting vistas along Wilson and some along Shaw.

Edited by Lmichigan

• 3 weeks later...

I was really disappointed by the fireworks this year. To tell you the truth, living where I do and seeing the Oldsmobile Park fireworks (for the past 3 or 4 nights in a row, now, lol), I find them far better.

Great shot, BTW! It will be great in a few years (if everything goes right) to see the building, once again, all lit up, but this time with people and pedestrian activity! Thanks for reviving the thread. I haven't taken pictures in weeks.

Edited by Lmichigan

I watched the fireworks from my balcony at Chandler Crossings- about 7 miles from downtown lansing...let's just say I was very disappointed compared to last year.

GR8scott, that location is the bridge on Cedar St. at the railroad tracks--I too have always liked that view, but do not have a picture.

BTW, I got ticketed for stopping on 496 to take a picture of the skyline near the Pennsylvania exit yesterday. For the record, it was not worth the $45 fine, especially when the cop would not let me continue to take the pictures.

sabatoa, looking at that picture, i was probably standing 20 feet from you. small world.

by the way, did anybody else notice that the lugnuts fireworks stopped aprubtly when a firetruck started honking. they didn't have a finale for the lugnuts fireworks last night.

Edited by jaredw

GR8,

That's the Cedar/Larch Viaduct where it turns into East Street. Anyway, I've tried getting the shot before, but my sucky camera doesn't have a good enough view to do it justice. It's particularly interesting at night. You can even see the spread all the way back to Lansing Towers on the west.

Another great shot, if it was available to the public would have been on the roof of the Lansing Car Assembly Plant #1 where it goes over MLK.

Statedude, you could get a good view of the fireworks from way out there? I know the land is higher up that way, but didn't realize you could get a good view. Yeah, it really was disappointing; the most disappointing in many years if you ask me.

Jared, yeah, the whole thing seemed so incredibly uncoordinated and choppy. Like I said, the stadium fireworks the few days before the fourth were better than last night.

Yeah, actually we could see them great from my 3rd floor balcony. The only thing we could not see was the stuff that shoots off relatively low. I actually had a clear view of the Meridian Township show as well- which for a show that almost did not happen, was arguably better than Lansing's.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Hotel Olds is still standing. It's the Romney Building across from the capitol and city hall, which holds the offices of the Michigan governor, among other things.

The building you're refering to is the old Hotel Kerns/Hotel Wentworth (the current name of the park) that burnt down. It really wasn't all that impressive, architecturally, but has the dubious distinction of being one of Lansing's deadliest fires, ever (i.e. 34 deaths.

kerns1.jpg

khnwest.jpg

khruin2.jpg

khruin3.jpg

khmap.jpg

The most costly hotel fire in terms of money, though, was that of the Hotel Downey in 1912, where the Knapps Centre now stands.

hoteldowney.jpg

hdflames1.jpg

hdflames2.jpg

hdflames3.jpg

The Capital Area District Library has a great page on Lansing's historic fires.

http://www.cadl.org/localhistory/fires.htm

Thanks LMich. I knew that about the Olds/Romney Bldg...just couldnt rack my brain for the Hotel Kerns name. Thanks for the pictures. Sadly, I believe Lansings historical images are too hidden, and rarely seen.

On the map of the Grand/Michigan intersection, it appears that a hotel was located where the Radisson hotel is today. I never knew this. :)