Lansing Photo of the Day

Allan

Here are some pictures I took today of the building in question;

lighthouse1.jpg

Here is the text from the historical placard next to the door:

"In 1890, the Lansing Women's Club completed construction of its club jome, a two-story red brick building located at 118 West Ottawa STreet in Downtown Lansing. In the same year, the Michigan Millers Insurance COmpany constructed next door at 120 West Ottawa a two-stroy brick building designed by Darius Moon. In 1911, the club added the theird floor and an elevator at 118 West Ottawa.

Between 1980-1999, while Bill Ralls practiced law here, Rosemary and Bill Ralls renoavted and restored these buildings to their current historic condition. Thus, they preserved them for the people of Lansing and placed them on the Federal Register of Historic Buildings in the United States. Today the buildings, which are ownded by Gary Granger and Jeff McAlvey, are the home of the Lighthouse."

Thanks sabatoa! That's the one. I love the little turret on the upper left corner. The way it was preserved and is kind of shoved between a bunch of new taller buildings reminds me of some areas of Chicago.

Apparently the architect, Darius Moon, designed over 260 structures in Lansing and East Lansing.

Sabatoa, did you get a chance to see the capitol grounds?

Getting around wasn't too bad LMichigan. I grew up in Lansing so I know it pretty well (although I don't remember the Lansing Women's Club).

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks sabatoa! That's the one. I love the little turret on the upper left corner. The way it was preserved and is kind of shoved between a bunch of new taller buildings reminds me of some areas of Chicago.

Apparently the architect, Darius Moon, designed over 260 structures in Lansing and East Lansing.

Sabatoa, did you get a chance to see the capitol grounds?

Getting around wasn't too bad LMichigan. I grew up in Lansing so I know it pretty well (although I don't remember the Lansing Women's Club).

Oh, I do too. Whenever I walk by this building I always stop and take a second to admire it. Like you, I really like the "Old World meets the modern era" contrast this building brings.

I was on the grounds a few days ago but I didn't notice the ladscaping.

• 3 weeks later...

Great shot! Just wish it was bigger. Anyway, I found some pretty cool shots on Flickr taken from the roof of the Arbaugh:

By macdane (http://www.flickr.com/photos/macdane/) showing the view from the roof of the former Arbaugh Department Store now Arbaugh Lofts:

Sparrow Hospital West Wing Tower

437289097_405c6e1055_b.jpg

Lansing Board of Water and Light Ottawa Street Station

437286478_cdbb1e7ca7_b.jpg

Michigan State Capitol

437287587_f384bc0cdd_b.jpg

Boji Tower

437287291_59e86c1914_b.jpg

A quiet Washington Square, below.

437285512_75c83b283d_b.jpg

Wider view

437285164_611583c457_b.jpg

Panning a bit to the west

437284836_80245cf7a8_b.jpg

And, a morning shot of the Eckert Power Station south of downtown.

477953388_cbedc127ac_b.jpg

Lastly, a crazy HDR shot by AvarusMentis (http://www.flickr.com/photos/avarusmentis/) looking at the corner of Grand and Allegan.

473800795_b618b3bab6_b.jpg

And, it's finally being realized. The Boji's practically own the that section of the street and beyond (i.e. Capitol View). lol

I usually hate HDR photos, but this one was pretty interesting, and since most of the buildings really are pretty colorful in real life, it works.

One thing I would like is for the large two story building you see at the foot to be demolished. I'm pretty sure it's been largely empty (if not totally empty) for many years now, though, no one ever realizes that or even look at the structure, much. That site would make for a great low-rise structure geared towards entertainment or retail. I've always envisioned that area and parking lot to the north being a small retail mall.

Edited by Lmichigan

LMich, if I'm not mistaken that lot next to it is even larger than the building itself, right? That block of downtown is pretty much dead. I would think that retial options would draw very well with the high occupancy Grand Tower across the street, and just a couple blocks from Cooley.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It really don't mind that it's not symmetrical. It makes it quirky and unique. That said, they should have, at least, reconstructed the entire exterior. Spartan Stadium has always been a rather ugly thing, and some of that red brick and green glass, if wrapped around the current concrete facade, would go a long way in making it look nicer.

It really don't mind that it's not symmetrical. It makes it quirky and unique. That said, they should have, at least, reconstructed the entire exterior. Spartan Stadium has always been a rather ugly thing, and some of that red brick and green glass, if wrapped around the current concrete facade, would go a long way in making it look nicer.

"ugly" Boy, you can say that again. Unless, of course, its stands are full of cheering blue and yellow-clad Wolverine fans.

"ugly" Boy, you can say that again. Unless, of course, its stands are full of cheering blue and yellow-clad Wolverine fans.

Of course wolverine "fans" and "cheering" is a relative term...

I had heard a few years ago that there were actually plans to carry on the facade around the entire stadium in phase II and phase III, but to do that would have required another 60 million or so up front.