Lansing Photo of the Day

Allan

Yeah, the 5/3 Building is much more cubed shapped. That's indeed the corner of Capitol and Allegan looking southwest.

I've seen a picture of the 5/3 pre modernization and they REALLY messed it up. It looked to be your typical brick building with limestone trim, but with a lot of decoration near the top.

Does anyone have any historic photos of the 101 South Washington Square prior to its first modernization in the 60's or the 70's? I don't think I've ever saw that one before it's renovation(s).

People would be surprised to hear how many of downtown buildings still remain, but are either taken apart and rebuilt or covered up with loads and loads of crap. :)

• 1 month later...

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know Erikson Hall could be expanded upwards. Cool. Spartan Stadium looks so nice. I really wish they would consider mirroring the new addition.

It is my understanding that the upper deck on the east side is going to be rebuilt after next season (using money from the origional addition rennovation), and be modified in some way. I read something the that respect in the letter to Ralph Young Fund donors, that I read at my parents' place.

• 3 weeks later...

I definately agree. The only thing that comes close would be 196 east on the west side of Grand Rapids at the top of the hill.

what about westbound I-69 coming into Flint???LOL, just kidding :lol: ...but if there was a little more to look at in downtown Flint, the inter change of westbound 69 and south bound I-475 would be kinda cool

Maybe you could sweet talk one of the workers to let you in to take pictures, I don't know how much getting these pictures matters to you, but they would be welcomed. I really wish they could of let these plants sit for a year or two, without tight security, I would of loved to get inside and explore them.

I rarely post in this forum, being from GR and partial to the counties west.

But I saw the picture of the auditorium at MSU and it brought back pleasant memories. I attended a few concerts there many years ago and, as I recall, that auditorium is a near duplicate of the old Civic Auditorium in GR. The MSU auditorium was done in college Romanesque while the Civic was designed in sort of a moderne Classical style.

All that is left of the Civic is the entry hall, which is a really cool example of "ocean liner" interior architecture from the early 1930s. Good to see that the MSU building is still there.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I haven't taken as many photos as I use to, I will show some that are nearly a year old. They were taken in April of last year along the Lansing River Trail:

Lansing River Trail Last Year - 3/22/2006

The convergence of the Grand and Red Cedar Rivers immediately south of downtown at Riverpoint Park.

115732119_c1f15f0fb6_o.jpg

The split-off to the western branch of the Lansing River Trail at Riverpoint Park.

115732120_4325817fee_o.jpg

Part of the skyline from an ugly, chain-link fence-covered Lansing River Trail bridge crossing atop Pennsylvania Avenue into Potter Park Zoo a mile or two southeast of downtown Lansing.

115732123_a3c53e89a9_o.jpg

I really like how you can fill nearly in the middle of nature in the very heart of the city.

Edited by Lmichigan

The convergence of the Cedar and Red Cedar Rivers immediately south of downtown at Riverpoint Park.

I really like how you can fill nearly in the middle of nature in the very heart of the city.

Did you mean the convergence of the Grand and Red Cedar?

I agree with your second comment too. The river trail was one of my favorite things about living in Lansing. I used it all the time, and each time was a joy. It's such a great asset to have, and to know it will always be around is very encouraging as we hope for more people to choose to live in the city and find it attractive.

lol, Michi. Yeah, I meant the Grand. It was late. :)

Wolverine, I have a link, but it's a PDF:

http://parks.cityoflansingmi.com/rivertrai...er%20Trail'

BTW, go down to the third page. Also, the council recently started the necessary procedures to begin to expand this trail down from Potter Park and Zoo (the big green space on the right before you reach MSU) to Hawk Island County Park, and eventually down to Holt, a southern suburb of Lansing. It's an amazing asset.