Lansing Photo of the Day

Allan

Having the whole Capitol lit really helps to brighten up the area, it can't be that expensive to keep the lights on.

I think there are a few things that could go, to sacrifice space to light it up (too many flowers around the grounds, just use plain grass). Based on reaction from out of towners who live in two other capital cities--they were shocked that the lights are shut off.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Photo of the Day: Lazy Day I took this picture last fall. The Grand River in southwest Lansing gets pretty wide with lots of recreation opportunities including two-level riverboat cruise, ski jumpinig, and the Lansing Marina. These friendly boaters waved crazily at me when the picture was taking, laughing and carrying on. I suspect they might have been drinking. :)

77308154_945fa50978_o.jpg

That is a great picture LMich!! That's area photographed is just a 5 minute walk from my parents house, and one of my favorite hangouts when I'm home.

Do you have any pictures of the Michigan Princess Riverboat? I had my junior prom and most recently my engagement party on there. Every picture I've taken was well after dark and my camera was not advanced enough to get a good shot.

Photo of the Day: Eastern High School - Built in 1928, the high school lies on the near eastside of Lansing. At the time of its completion, it was at the eastern edge of Lansing. The school is also built directly adjacent to the historic Pattengill Middle School.

127688959_1ce78a7982_o.jpg

A picture courtesy of Granger Construction to show the surroundings (Pattengill Middle School is most visible, here)

10-18-05%20061Copy.jpg

Actually, I don't think they are that contaminated. At least, there hasn't been any talk of them being that contaminated. They were both assembly plants. Anyway, it's still up in the air what will be developed. Nothing set in stone, and talks will begin this year starting with community forums.

The site is so large that they could easily build a residential neighborhood on one side of the site and buffer it with retail and such on the other. BTW, this is just ONE of the sites Lansing Car Assembly, the other under demolition, as well, is located on the cities far westend right at the border. I'm pretty sure I posted some aerials in another post, here, that shoes the two sites and their location in relation to their surroundings.

Edited by Lmichigan

• 4 weeks later...

Photo of the Day: Rare Skyline View

Taken by Wezern (http://www.flickr.com/photos/wezern/), or Flickr, this is a view of Lansing rarely seen, and with great weather to set the mood. This photo was taken back in November, and has to be the from Ingham Regional Medical Center - Greenlawn Campus Patient Tower. That's the only building down that way that could offer this view.

61157335_91861495ba_b.jpg

I know the photo of the day is supposed to be for good pictures, but I just cant resist. I got a new camera (finally one I like), and spent much of Sunday taking photographs. Well, none of them turned out because I was not patient enough to sit down and mess with the settings. But anyways, here is the innaugural pic, a shot of the new MSU north campus parking ramp. I promise I'll work on it, and start taking some quality shots.

morramp.jpg

Statedude, don't worry too much about photo quality. As long as we can still make out what the subject of the picture is, it will be good enough. :) But, that's not a bad photo, and I'm glad to see the progress being made on the garage. I wish from now one, every garage in Mid-Michigan would be forced to be of this quality.

One of my favorite buildings on the MSU campus is Linton Hall. It is the primary home to the College of Arts and Letters.

Built in 1881, it was originally built as the home of the Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science (MSC) Museum and Library. When the library/museum outgrew Linton Hall, the library portion was moved to the current Museum building. It was then moved into the current library building and the museum moved into the current museum building. I'm sure that totally confused some of you. :lol:

One of my favorite parts of this building is the seal of Michigan Agricultural College that is engraved in wood over the front entrance of the building.

linton1.jpg

linton2.jpg

linton3.jpg

Edited by statedude3