Lansing Photo of the Day

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is realistic, and that's how they are trying to development. This envisioned to be Lansing's BOB, or Inner Harbor, or Navy Pier. It's, primarily, shooting for a redevelopment as an entertainment building with groundfloor retail.

There was even talk a few years back of moving Impressions 5 Children's Museum (Lansing's children's museum), and the REO Museum to the upper floors to anchor the redevelopment. Hopefully, now that this thing is closer than ever to being developed, this may happen, again.

Also, the residential portion of this project will be the land to the north; the old coal field.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that from the City Pulse a few weeks ago, as well, but I was under the impression that this was the "worst case scenario." You know, something that they have in case of an emergency. They are far more likely to hike the rates more, which would be a big deal to Lansing, but we still pay some of the lowest power prices in the state.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if I posted it before in this particular thread, but a shot of the Michigan National Tower in the mid 50's. You can see the old Moose Lodge, I think it was, that is wedged between it and the neighboring Hollister Building. The structure was torn down in the 60's for that seemless expansion you see today.

8.jpg

That is a great photo. The expansion is just ugly looking. Was the elevator shaft on the east side of the building moved there at the time of the expansion? It seems like it would have been slightly visible in this photo. Also, does anyone have a closeup of the top of the tower from this era? I'm curious to see what that bulky thing is up on top.

BTW, I notice the stretlight at the bottom of the pic is exactly what the neighborhood streetlights are throughout most of the city now. I have not seen lights like this in any of my travels. How long has lansing used them? I think they look great.

No, the elevator shaft was still at the front, but an extra one (in that ugly metal red shaft) had to be constructed to because of the added expansion of the 10-story addition. Most of the expansion blends seamlessly with the tower except the ugly metal screens on top and the extra elevator shaft. From the front, it used to be just the same dark red brick you see at the base of the tower that rose up the middle. As you know with these extremely narrow towers, it's not easy to aesthetically work elevator shafts into the design.

The bulky thing on top is a bank element almost all old bank towers had and that's simple a lighted box sign. One used to be on the Penobscot Building in Detroit, the Genesee Towers in Flint, among many others.

Are you serious about the old streetlights, that you've never seen them in other cities?

No, the elevator shaft was still at the front, but an extra one (in that ugly metal red shaft) had to be constructed to because of the added expansion of the 10-story addition. Most of the expansion blends seamlessly with the tower except the ugly metal screens on top and the extra elevator shaft. From the front, it used to be just the same dark red brick you see at the base of the tower that rose up the middle. As you know with these extremely narrow towers, it's not easy to aesthetically work elevator shafts into the design.

The bulky thing on top is a bank element almost all old bank towers had and that's simple a lighted box sign. One used to be on the Penobscot Building in Detroit, the Genesee Towers in Flint, among many others.

Are you serious about the old streetlights, that you've never seen them in other cities?

Thanks for the info about Boji Tower.

I'm serious, I dont recall seeing that particular design in other cities. Perhaps I never looked close enough though. Would I have seen them in other cities around the state?

Are you talking about these exact kind of streetlights because I think most cities have different streetlights.

Right, I was referring to this design...

113789391_5911683b2a.jpg

(Compliments to Jowo on Flickr.

Throughout many of the Lansing neighborhood this same design is a single light on a post. Personally I think it is very classy, and as far as I can remember, I have not seen it in other cities. I was just curious how long they have been in Lansing and if they are located anywhere else.

Edited by statedude3

There has been a huge push in the last few years to get them on a few of the main thoroughfares such as East Michigan, which was very recently lined from Capitol all the way to I-27/496, as well as Grand River Avenue and Turner Street in Old Town. These were also placed along the Capitol Loop downtown. So, it is pretty recent, but it seems to be a plan.

There has been a huge push in the last few years to get them on a few of the main thoroughfares such as East Michigan, which was very recently lined from Capitol all the way to I-27/496, as well as Grand River Avenue and Turner Street in Old Town. These were also placed along the Capitol Loop downtown. So, it is pretty recent, but it seems to be a plan.

That is good to hear. I know my parents' neighborhood association is looking to get the newer version (like the picture I posted) put in their neighborhood as opposed to the cheaper version that looks similar, that is there right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...