Gaslight Village - East Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Some of the first condos in this project, called the "Derby", sound pretty nice! Here's an excerpt:

"The architecture would be "prewar condominium buildings, sensitive to the village character," said architect Eric Rowland of Indianapolis-based Rowland Design. Toting samples, Rowland said the facade would be red brick, carved limestone, iron work detailing, and steeply pitched roofs with several gables."

See article for more details:

Doh! Wrong article, here ya go:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ss...0860.xml&coll=6

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who decides who gets their place if there are 300 "potential buyers" of only 107 units? First come, first serve, I suppose? BTW good info, GrDad ;)

I wonder if they are doing a "lottery" system? I think they picked Ken Grashuis to sell this, since he is a well-known realtor in the EGR and Cascade area.

I wonder if they are doing a "lottery" system? I think they picked Ken Grashuis to sell this, since he is a well-known realtor in the EGR and Cascade area.

Yes, Ken is the man and he is the right guy for the job. He lives here in EGR and is ready for a project at this level.

This project is gonna be super cool.

Not aware of the "presale" status of late but steel is going up and stuff is going on in gaslight; cranes in the sky is a very good look indeed....

Click the link to the GR Press article, L. :) They give a rundown on the project status. I believe 4 residential buildings total, with the tallest topping out at 6 or 7 stories. Retail and medical offices will front along Wealthy Street being rebuilt. Rowland Design is doing the work, but nothing (except other projects) on their site:

http://www.rowlanddesign.com/portfolio.html

My apologies. It doesn't give a run-down. Just my hard-copy of the press sitting here does:

Under construction:

23,700 sq ft first floor retail

23,260 sq ft second floor commercial

34,350 sf medical office

4500 sf bank (re-using the old Union Bank facade)

Completion Feb. 1st

Focus of the article:

26 unit building, 6 stories

52 underground parking space :)

Completion Mar. 07

Still to come:

81 units between 3 more buildings

Total completion 2010

GR Press/MLive

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of retail, Gaslight Village which is opening next year has named Bank One as one of their first tenants. They will be using the old facade from the Mutual Home Bank that sat near Monroe Center before the Art Museum began their expansion:

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde....xml&coll=6

Bank One had a location in Gaslight. They closed it due to slow business. I know, cause I worked there. What a weird company.

The article doesn't even make mention that there was once a location in Gaslight and the Bank One spokesperson acts like there never was.

Starbucks!

Bank One had a location in Gaslight. They closed it due to slow business. I know, cause I worked there. What a weird company.

The article doesn't even make mention that there was once a location in Gaslight and the Bank One spokesperson acts like there never was.

Starbucks!

The guy quoted in the article was from Detroit....he probably doesn't know there was one there before. He's only "looking to the future" :P

I see on the website that they say this project is supposed to have a Spring 2006 completion? Is this including all three towers and the whole project? I can't imagine it being that fast unless everything is already under construction.

just the retail portion fronting wealthy street. And they started on it a couple of months ago. They have made a lot of progress so far actually.

They're finally building that D&W in Caledonia? They have had that planned for years.

I thought there already was a D&W in Caledonia?

With regards to this bank announcement, it's pretty lame. We all knew a bank was filling the space behind that old GR Mutual facade. I really hope they get a good mix of high end restaurants and retailers in there. I picture Gaslight like downtown Birmingham. So far all I've heard is Jude's Barbershop and this Bank One/Chase deal. Any one have an inside scoop on what else is coming?

I thought there already was a D&W in Caledonia?

With regards to this bank announcement, it's pretty lame. We all knew a bank was filling the space behind that old GR Mutual facade. I really hope they get a good mix of high end restaurants and retailers in there. I picture Gaslight like downtown Birmingham. So far all I've heard is Jude's Barbershop and this Bank One/Chase deal. Any one have an inside scoop on what else is coming?

D&W has had plans to build a new store on M-37 about a mile North of their current location, on the East side of the road.

Jade Pig is being pretty tight-lipped about who is going in to their new retail area.

Yes, the construction on the Caledonia D&W has been underway for quite a while and is supposed to be finished in January. It is the second of the company's improvement projects. The first being the Gaslight Village location, by the way if anyone does have a pic of the new facade I would also love to see it. Its all apart of the company's change in marketing strategy from a "food center"(your typical grocery store) to a "fresh market." I can only hope that the recent cuts and closing of the 36th St store, which was no surprise to anyone and had been on the dockett for years, only indicates a restructuring of the company and nothing else. The past few years it has suffered some hard times due to a saturated market competing with the traditional Family Fare and Meijer along with cheaper retailers Aldi and Save-A-Lot and the movement in the grocery market by big box stores like Wal-Mart and Target. The less than stellar economy in Michigan has also not helped making their attempt to convert to a more high-end grocery store quite difficult. Especially in the parts of West Michigan that, to say nicely are a bit...frugal. I'm not sure what other stores are on the list for improvements. I know the Rockford location was redone a few years ago as was Grandville and Cascade being the store closest to the corporate office I'm sure has already undergone some changes. In my mind the most probables are Either one of the Bretons, Kentwood, Jenison, and/or either one of the Walker locations.

Sorry to have spewed this post farther off topic.

No problem j3! Thanks for the Caledonia update. I took some pics today of Gaslight Village and the Wealthy Street reconstruction (which is 7 weeks behind schedule apparently?), but looking great:

Real "Gas Lights"?

13DE77404D5011DABA80232018F73B1D.jpg

I believe this will be the retail/medical office portion furthest East:

34BF5DD04D5011DA96CE865D18F73B1D.jpg

A close up of the retail portion (I like how it comes almost right out to the street):

B5894BC04D4F11DAAEA9F7A418F73B1D.jpg

This is the retail portion West of the Bagley extension now under construction:

61196E704D5011DAB9159CF618F73B1D.jpg

There are also plans by Clinton Realty to put a 3-4 stall retail/mixed use building right out in front of D&W, which will basically make for a continuous streetscape all the way down Wealthy on both sides :thumbsup:. I have not seen anything about re-doing the facade on the D&W there, but I'll keep my eyes out.

The Rockford D&W is very nice, and has a prairie house style to it:

rockford--dw.jpg

Image by Dever Architects

Edit: Jade Pig has a new website for this project (not finished yet):

http://www.gaslight-village.com//home.html

I simply meant the new facade going on the D&W in Caledonia and wondered if Gas Light will look like that one :)

I remember the blurb D&W had on their site in regards to the Gaslight renovation simply mentioned that the facade was going to be renovated to, and a paraphrase here, "reflect the Gaslight Village ambiance." I was under impression that they were done with it.

As far as Caledonia is concerned that store is more of a total remodel. Not only are they altering the facade I believe but they are also adding a couple thousand square feet to it.

Here is a link to the portion of the company's site: http://www.dwfoodcenters.com/news.aspx

I remember the blurb D&W had on their site in regards to the Gaslight renovation simply mentioned that the facade was going to be renovated to, and a paraphrase here, "reflect the Gaslight Village ambiance." I was under impression that they were done with it.

As far as Caledonia is concerned that store is more of a total remodel. Not only are they altering the facade I believe but they are also adding a couple thousand square feet to it.

Here is a link to the portion of the company's site: http://www.dwfoodcenters.com/news.aspx

Ah! I thought you guys were saying that D&W was building a new store right by Jasonville Farms (the tall condos). That was where they were originally supposed to build a new shopping center, but they were having problems with MDOT because of M-37 traffic and they couldn't put a light there (or something?).

Ah! I thought you guys were saying that D&W was building a new store right by Jasonville Farms (the tall condos). That was where they were originally supposed to build a new shopping center, but they were having problems with MDOT because of M-37 traffic and they couldn't put a light there (or something?).

That whole area is a mess with M-37.... when they were working on it recently they should have made it a divided street, michigan lefts and all, from 76th all the way to 108th, like they did from 36th to 76th... WAY to much sprawl/cars out there to try and make a left across traffic.. :huh:

Or maybe they're going to.. i'm not sure

Archived