Gaslight Village - East Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

Anthropologie is going in the new outlot where Arnie's used to be, by the big retaining wall, and not connected to the mall. My prediction is that Breton Village will still have that post-apocalyptic feel to it for a while.

This is really odd. They're building out the Anthropologie over the retaining walls along Breton. Makes for a huge mass of wall (rock or brick I assume).

5555871409_f70cb57b46_z.jpg

5555869857_26d5490889_z.jpg

• 4 months later...

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[i figured I'd comment on the 1415 Lake Drive Redevelopment topic here 'cause my comment is really about Gaslight Village.]

Jude's is moving out of Gaslight Village and into Eastown. Spice Merchants left, too -- saw a comment on their website "that the East Grand Rapids store has been closed due to increasing rent costs" (https://secure.spicemerchants.biz/sm/stores/details/6/East_Grand_Rapids).

What's going on? Have rent prices gotten that bad? What will this do to the tear-downs that Insignia Homes and others are trying to get started? (Which are, IMHO, seriously overpriced...but that's a topic for another discussion....)

Rent in that development in east is $21-26/ft. The smallest first floor suite is 1713 sq ft and is renting for $3718. That's a lot of haircuts and/or cinnamon.

No wonder the cinnamon was $3/oz when it's $0.86/oz at Global Infusion.

I knew the Spice Merchants closed due to rent (They have a new store in DT Traverse City). That's an incredible amount for rent. It didn't take long for Smooch to take over the space that Spice Merchants left - I guess it shouldn't be long until something fills in in lieu of Jude's. The East Town seems like a great location - I am sure that the rent at the closed Blockbuster will be significantly cheaper then $21/ft.

Edited to add link:

Speaking of the town homes - they are back on for a possible fall start.

Developers revive townhouse project near East Grand Rapids' Gaslight Village

Archived