Gaslight Village - East Grand Rapids

GRDadof3

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did hear that the cool local spice store in Saugatuck (name escapes me) is opening up there and will have a display kitchen where people can take cooking classes

I do not remember the name of the spice shop in Saugatuck. What I do remember is the incredible imported smoked curry powder. If this shop is coming to Gaslight my check book is in trouble.

:D Thanks so much for the info you guys. I am new to GR - just moved here from Minneapolis and am looking into opening up a small business in the right location. I would love to see East GR prosper with this new Gaslight Village Re-invention, or whatever you all are calling it.

Thanks again for the help!

:D Thanks so much for the info you guys. I am new to GR - just moved here from Minneapolis and am looking into opening up a small business in the right location. I would love to see East GR prosper with this new Gaslight Village Re-invention, or whatever you all are calling it.

Thanks again for the help!

The EGR spot is certainly intriguing to me. I'm interested to see how many and what kind of retailers join the mix there as opposed to choosing to join historic/neighborhood areas like the "Uptown" area, etc. I for one hope that more small, unique and viable retailers choose to dive into places like Wealthy Street and Cheshire Village area - it feels like those area could absolutely explode as the place to be with a little more retail choice.

The EGR spot is certainly intriguing to me. I'm interested to see how many and what kind of retailers join the mix there as opposed to choosing to join historic/neighborhood areas like the "Uptown" area, etc. I for one hope that more small, unique and viable retailers choose to dive into places like Wealthy Street and Cheshire Village area - it feels like those area could absolutely explode as the place to be with a little more retail choice.

Hi shopgirl, it's nice to see more ladies joining UP.

Hi shopgirl, it's nice to see more ladies joining UP.

I'm surprised you haven't talked more of your friends into showing up, seeing that they have the same interests as we do. Having the perspective of a certain commissioner on some of the topics brought up here would be great insight for the rest of us. :whistling:

More Pics from Gaslight village. I really like the brick building with the funky metalwork in the middle. I also got a shot of the side facing the D&W parking lot. It's almost like they made it look like buildings that had later been bricked up using different color brick. Very unique. They're moving very quickly on this...

113536356_35882bc502.jpg

113536357_abe3277eca.jpg

113536355_0cd5ed7af0.jpg

113536352_778c610a13.jpg

113536349_0891a3817e.jpg

I think that adding the different colored brick to give that "bricked up" appearance is really nice and shows an attention to detail I would never expect to find in a new project. Pretty nice, have they started on any of the mid-rises yet?

Not that I Could see. They have started on the water fountain/sculpture thing that will make the old Jacobson's ramp not-so-ugly. That looked pretty cool. They are doing a top-notch job on this development. I'm really impressed. Jade Pig needs to develop downtown too!

Joe

I think that adding the different colored brick to give that "bricked up" appearance is really nice and shows an attention to detail I would never expect to find in a new project. Pretty nice, have they started on any of the mid-rises yet?

Not that I Could see. They have started on the water fountain/sculpture thing that will make the old Jacobson's ramp not-so-ugly. That looked pretty cool. They are doing a top-notch job on this development. I'm really impressed. Jade Pig needs to develop downtown too!

Joe

Amen to that. Wonder why they haven't given downtown a shot yet. Their offices are at College and Michigan, so they are interested in staying in the inner city.

Anyone have a rendering of the new D&W facade? I'm wonderin if it will be like the new one going on in Caledonia.

Anyone have a rendering of the new D&W facade? I'm wonderin if it will be like the new one going on in Caledonia.

Any new info on this. D&W had a poster of the rendering in their entrace for several weeks, but now it is gone. I'd love to see a copy of it

Thanks for the photo update Joe. This looks really impressive; I'll have to get over there soon to see it myself.

I would like to see them take on some of the smaller business districts in GR like Boston Sq. and Alger Heights.

Yes please! :D

More Pics from Gaslight village. I really like the brick building with the funky metalwork in the middle. I also got a shot of the side facing the D&W parking lot. It's almost like they made it look like buildings that had later been bricked up using different color brick. Very unique. They're moving very quickly on this...

113536356_35882bc502.jpg

I just walked by there a few minutes ago and thats not "funky metalwork" but rather cast concrete. It looks very nice up close.

Interesting. Looking at the picture now I can see that it is cast concrete. I wonder how they'll finish it off. The building does look nice.

Does anyone know when some of the buildings will be ready for occupancy?

Joe

I just walked by there a few minutes ago and thats not "funky metalwork" but rather cast concrete. It looks very nice up close.

I'm not a fan of theose "bricked-in" areas at all. Next time you go past an old warehouse look at the brick where windows have been filled in. Usually the brick that is used is very similar to what the rest of the building is clad in. Why? Because having contrasting bricks in that situation is not a desirable aesthetic. That building facade along the D&W parking lot is going to look like the architect made a mistake and had to fill in the gaps after construction had already been finished and the brick mason was sleeping on the job and used the wrong color brick.

What happened to valuing transparency in a building? I thought this group was all about it. Everyone here at UP-GR blasted Moch for building a bunker with Icon on Bond, but here, Jade Pig goes out of their way to actually set off space for more windows on the ground floor, then bricks them in and people say it's great attention to detail. :wacko:

Don't get me wrong ... this is a great project. But there's so much more to praise about it than the wall facing the D&W parking lot and it's "bricked-in" look.

If I'm not mistaken, the owner of the strip center D&W is in is planning curbside storefronts. Maybe this is why they didn't add windows?

What happened to valuing transparency in a building? I thought this group was all about it. Everyone here at UP-GR blasted Moch for building a bunker with Icon on Bond, but here, Jade Pig goes out of their way to actually set off space for more windows on the ground floor, then bricks them in and people say it's great attention to detail. :wacko:

Don't get me wrong ... this is a great project. But there's so much more to praise about it than the wall facing the D&W parking lot and it's "bricked-in" look.

If I'm not mistaken, the owner of the strip center D&W is in is planning curbside storefronts. Maybe this is why they didn't add windows?

Also, since this row of storefronts faces into the center court this is the back service side of these stores. It is possible to have two sided stores, but they are hard to secure and don't allow for stores to have service and storage space.

In other words, one of the sides has to be the back and at least they made it appealing.

So is the development eventually going to expand west into the D&W parking lot? It looks like there may be footings for other buildings along Wealthy street, but they may be for a sitting area or bike racks or something else. I guess I'm only familiar with the renderings of these buildings along Wealthy from Bagley Avenue east and back into the plaza. Are more buildings coming? Are the walls in question going to eventually face an alley and the backs or sides of other buildings? Or are they always going to face a busy parking lot?

So is the development eventually going to expand west into the D&W parking lot? It looks like there may be footings for other buildings along Wealthy street, but they may be for a sitting area or bike racks or something else. I guess I'm only familiar with the renderings of these buildings along Wealthy from Bagley Avenue east and back into the plaza. Are more buildings coming? Are the walls in question going to eventually face an alley and the backs or sides of other buildings? Or are they always going to face a busy parking lot?

That is the extent of the retail portion of the development. The footings on wealthy are for a proposed building built by the owner of the D&W strip center. They were installed at the cities request during the streetscape work done last summer. I believe the new building proposed will be approx 6000 sqft. When done all of these buildings will somewhat enclose the parking area.

Archived