Greenwood Updates

GSP Tiger

Several years ago, I attended a college in the Greenwood area. Besides all the activity on the bypass, I never really took the chance to explore the central business district, which has undergone some improvements.

Greenwood has continued to grow steadily in recent years. I'm eager to know of anything new happening here if any.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is Greenwood's city population around 22,000 now? I think the entire county had 60,000.

I think Greenwood can support them, but maybe within two to three years. They already have Applebee's, Beef O'Brday's. Cici's Pizza, Fatz Cafe, Lowe's, O'Charley's, Office Max, Old Navy, Outback Steakhouse, Pier 1 Imports, Red Lobster, a 10-screen multiplex, and a mall anchored by Belk and JCPenney.

Well, say that 60,000 does all of its shopping in Greenwood... its still not that much. Eventually you run the rick of having too much stuff spread around for the city/county to support.

I did not know that Greenwood had that many chain stores in it though- Particularly Peir 1, which I associate with larger places.

Perhaps I underestimate Greenwood?

Greenwood serves as the shopping capital of "the Lakelands," also consisting of Abbeville, McCormick, and Saluda Counties. Chain stores are noticing people do not want to drive to Greenville, Anderson, or Augusta for their shopping. Its estimated population growth in coming years makes it a good time to locate here early.

As SC 72 and US 25 have been vastly improved through widening projects in recent years, its accessibility to Interstates 85 and 26 are greater to lure additional businesses. With that comes more residents and growth. Greenwood seems well prepared at present.

Probably a decade ago, Piggly Wiggly had two stores in Spartanburg. Stiff market domination by Bi-Lo and Ingle's led them out. They returned a few years ago in former Community Cash locations (Cowpens, Pacolet, Union, Whitmire). With Winn Dixie gone for good from the area, Mr. Pig could easily return to the area. I intend on visiting one of Mr. Pig's new stores in Charleston in January.

Greenwood County has 4 Piggly Wigglys, 2 Food Lions, and 2 Bi-Los.

Archived