Restaurant Review

fluffy

I thought since I had the worst time ever, I should make a thread about it.

Feel free to add your experiences with area dining establishments as well.

Let's just start it off with the fact I NEVER COMPLAIN. I've had bad service, bad food, etc. But I tend to not complain. There are two times in my life I can recall complainig, and this experience is one of them.

I met my wife downtown for lunch yesterday. She suggested Mojo's. A few of her co-workers have been there numerous times and my wife felt we should check it out.

Keep in mind, I have never been there before and there are numerous reasons for it. Many people have given me negative feedback on this establishment and I have never felt like going. I do keep an open mind, though. Therefore, my wife and I wander down there.

We enter Mojo's and it smells like dirty nightclub (which it is, I suppose). Not quite the lunch dining experience I was looking for).

We take a seat near the window to enjoy the beautful autumn afternoon while dining. We start a conversation that lasts a while. Not one time did a server come by to break up this conversation. That is, ten minutes later. "Have you been helped?" She askes. Ummm, no we haven't. She is the first server I have seen since we entered the building. There are two other tables with diners. That is it. I don't know if she just plans on slow lunches where she wouldn't have to serve people, but she wasn't helping the other tables that were there as well.

We order our beverages and wait another ten minutes to get them Our server was "busy" talking with the other server (yes, there were two working). Our server had our table and the table that was waiting (a long time) for their bill. She told us she would be back in a minute to take our orders, to which I reply, "We are on a limited time, so if you could..." "Yeah, I'll be right back..." 15 minutes later...

So now we have been here a half hour and have not placed our order yet. I wanted to leave, but wifey said lets just stay, she needed to eat, and it couldn't be much longer....

L-O-F'in-L.

She finally takes our order and 10 minutes later we get our food. Our server is eating while she is bringing our food to us. Great. Was it our food she was eating?

We quickly eat our mediocre food and tell our server we need the bill NOW.

We get it, i drop some cash and we bolt.

What a horrible place to go. I will never go back.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We quickly eat our mediocre food and tell our server we need the bill NOW.

We get it, i drop some cash and we bolt.

What a horrible place to go. I will never go back.

This thread is a good idea as long as we remember that these are personal experiences and do not reflect the way things are ALL the time. That said, I'm eaten at Mojos and the service was fine. The food wasn't anything to write home about, but it's known as a dueling piano bar, not a restaurant :)

I had a bad experience once at a local establishment, but I've never heard another bad thing about it so I'm going to keep it to myself. Unless someone else says something first! :P

This thread is a good idea as long as we remember that these are personal experiences and do not reflect the way things are ALL the time. That said, I'm eaten at Mojos and the service was fine. The food wasn't anything to write home about, but it's known as a dueling piano bar, not a restaurant :)

I had a bad experience once at a local establishment, but I've never heard another bad thing about it so I'm going to keep it to myself. Unless someone else says something first! :P

Yes, I agree. We should share really bad experiences like fluffys, but I don't want people to get the wrong idea and go "I'm not going to eat downtown! The people who work in those restaurants are a-holes!"

I can say that most of my experiences in all of the "local" restaurants I've patronized have been great. I have been dissappointed a couple times here and there with food or service or whatever, but in my experience, by and large, the service and the food in the local places is several notches above the chain-restaurants on 28t.

That's like I said, I have only complained twice. One was at a sh!t on the wall corporate chain restaurant.

I have a great time downtown and frequent many places.

I have just heard many bad reviews of Mojo's and the story rang true for myself as well.

I do plan to write up some nice reviews of other local establishments as well. The last thing I want is a completely negative thread. ;)

Maybe it's because people don't want to be seen going in there :lol:

There used to be a service like this when we lived in Kentwood. We tried it twice, two different drivers, and the COULD NOT get the food to us even lukewarm. It was always cold and disgusting. And I called the restaurants both times and they said the food sat on the counter ready to go for 10 - 15 minutes before the drivers even showed up. Maybe this company will do a better job.

Well, I am going to try Morado sushi restaurant downtown tonight. I know I read in the rest. rumor mill forum that it was not "authentic" japanese, but I still want to try it out and see. I will report back with my findings!

Anyone who has been there ~ do you have any suggestions of things to try? Do I need reservations?

Well, I am going to try Morado sushi restaurant downtown tonight. I know I read in the rest. rumor mill forum that it was not "authentic" japanese, but I still want to try it out and see. I will report back with my findings!

Anyone who has been there ~ do you have any suggestions of things to try? Do I need reservations?

I doubt you'll need reservations, it was quite empty when I was there. (Granted, those weren't Friday nights) Try the "Kamakaze Roll" or the "Spider Roll". They are awesome! Ok I'm hungry now :P

Not to be a stick in the mud...but a friend of mine had a really bad service experience at the aforementioned bar/restuarant over the weekend. It was so bad that they actually left the manager with their cold food that took 1 1/2 hours to get and went somewhere else. Interesting.

Not to be a stick in the mud...but a friend of mine had a really bad service experience at the aforementioned bar/restuarant over the weekend. It was so bad that they actually left the manager with their cold food that took 1 1/2 hours to get and went somewhere else. Interesting.

Which place is that?

And what did you think of Marado, BTW?

I've really only had one very bad experience dining out in the last few years. A year or two ago, I went to a steakhouse on Northland Drive by Pietro's, which I had been to a few times before and never had a problem. This particular time, though, it was very crowded and there was a pretty long wait. While standing in the lobby area, the crowd got a little jumpy and people were looking around a little startled -- a white mouse was making it's way under the benches and under the feet of the patrons. After that, it was little hard to stomach the food, and needless to say, I haven't been back.

Which place is that?

And what did you think of Marado, BTW?

It was Mojo's. They got there really early to celebrate her B-day and wanted to have dinner before it got too busy there. When the food took so long and the order was wrong, they asked to talk to a manager and the manager didn't even come to talk to them. He sent the waitress over with a message that one of their apps would be free. They again asked to actually talk to him and he finally showed up at their table, only to tell them the same thing and they mentioned how all of their food was cold and he said "but the artichoke dip I just brought is warm". They left the food with him and went somewhere else. Pretty sad.

I didn't make it to Marado, couldn't get anyone to go with me. I will get there sometime soon, cuz' it sounds so good! :D

I've really only had one very bad experience dining out in the last few years. A year or two ago, I went to a steakhouse on Northland Drive by Pietro's, which I had been to a few times before and never had a problem. This particular time, though, it was very crowded and there was a pretty long wait. While standing in the lobby area, the crowd got a little jumpy and people were looking around a little startled -- a white mouse was making it's way under the benches and under the feet of the patrons. After that, it was little hard to stomach the food, and needless to say, I haven't been back.

Hmm...I think I ate there once....thanks for the tip! :blink:

Well I went to McFaddens grand opening last night. I dunno why it was called VIP opening because everyone and their brother was there, I'm sure it's some clever marketing scheme. Anyway, my unbiased/uninfluenced opinion follows. It was a very nice looking place. I definately have to check it out for dinner. Lots of dark wood work and other irish-inspired fixtures. There is a TV everywhere you look which gives the place a very casual feel and if I were into sports at all I would go there to watch a game. It honestly feels like there is a plasma tv on every surface where they could mount one. It's almost overkill. There was a ton of people (1262 through the door last night) in the bar but it never felt over crowded. The music was a good mix of top 40 music and 80's/90's music(no rap/techno). There was people playing pool and people dancing, and people standing and sitting, definately something for everyone. I never had to yell to be heard. $3 Miller light bottles and Smithwicks on tap.

Overall I liked it a lot. It different than any other bar in Grand Rapids. I will go back.

And if you were there and saw someone dressed in a kilt, there's a 50/50 shot that was our very own PBJ.

... I wish I was kidding. :)

Well I went to McFaddens grand opening last night. I dunno why it was called VIP opening because everyone and their brother was there, I'm sure it's some clever marketing scheme. Anyway, my unbiased/uninfluenced opinion follows. It was a very nice looking place. I definately have to check it out for dinner. Lots of dark wood work and other irish-inspired fixtures. There is a TV everywhere you look which gives the place a very casual feel and if I were into sports at all I would go there to watch a game. It honestly feels like there is a plasma tv on every surface where they could mount one. It's almost overkill. There was a ton of people (1262 through the door last night) in the bar but it never felt over crowded. The music was a good mix of top 40 music and 80's/90's music(no rap/techno). There was people playing pool and people dancing, and people standing and sitting, definately something for everyone. I never had to yell to be heard. $3 Miller light bottles and Smithwicks on tap.

Overall I liked it a lot. It different than any other bar in Grand Rapids. I will go back.

And if you were there and saw someone dressed in a kilt, there's a 50/50 shot that was our very own PBJ.

... I wish I was kidding. :)

I hope he wasn't making any Coyote Ugly moves in a kilt :sick:

Archived