Restaurant Review

fluffy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dbrok--It looks like a bar, it smells like a bar, and by golly it feels like a bar. Think of the Cambridge House, which is owned by the same guy. The Creston Neighborhood Association suggested it to me, and I had the same question, but they said they thought it was more of a restaurant.

How come so many people are hating on Leo's? I love that place. But everybody I talk to tells me they hate it.

For everyone that likes Tre Cugini, you've got to check out Tuscan Express on 28th Street in Cascade. Similar menu but just a little cheaper and a lot better. I say this even though I personally hate the owner of the place, it's that good.

The orginal Vitale's is sweet. I don't like the sprots bar though.

Does anybody miss Gibson's or Duba's? There was a whole lot of talk about their closings, but I didn't think anyone really ate at either.

IMO, Duba's wasn't the same after they moved out of Stockbridge. The quality and service that they were known for when they were on the west side was not there at their Beltline location.

I had never eaten at Dubas. Gibsons was pretty good, but pricey. For fancy-schmancy meals I always prefer to go downtown to Cygnus, Charleys, Louis Benton, etc.

I had never eaten at Dubas. Gibsons was pretty good, but pricey. For fancy-schmancy meals I always prefer to go downtown to Cygnus, Charleys, Louis Benton, etc.

Duba's was the best back in the 70's. Between them, Little Mexico and Russo's, where Monte's is now, it was a great little restaurant district.

I went to XO last week and wasn't impressed. The server was friendly but not too efficient. The food was mediocre and the decor was lacking. I will give it another chance soon. My friend thought the hot and sour soup tasted like the zoo smells.

I went to Blue Ginger Asian Cuisine last night and it was amazing. It's on Byron Center, south of 54th or 52nd or Gezon, whatever you want to call that damm road. We got there 20 minutes before they closed, but the server was great, the food was great, the decor was warm and inviting and they had some dope Christmas music on. I loved it! If only they had a liquor license.

Regarding everyone hating Leo's, the design of the place was poorly done. The lighting is way too high in the ceiling and no lighting directly on the tables, thus everyine feels like they are in a large room, not having an intimate dining experience. The bar area is too large, the space between the tables is too big in the dining room, no understanding of scale.

Yes, I love Tuscan Express too. The best steakhouse to me is still Judson's.

Regarding everyone hating Leo's, the design of the place was poorly done. The lighting is way too high in the ceiling and no lighting directly on the tables, thus everyine feels like they are in a large room, not having an intimate dining experience. The bar area is too large, the space between the tables is too big in the dining room, no understanding of scale.

Yes, I love Tuscan Express too. The best steakhouse to me is still Judson's.

I liked the layout of Leos, I just wasn't that impressed with the food. But maybe I ordered the wrong dish. Oh well.

I went to the new Koney Island (I think it's Ritz) for lunch today. I guess it opened tuesday. I had the Ionia sandwich; it was very good and fresh. I'm thinking about putting this place into my regular rotation :thumbsup:

Any body else been there? I think it's called H. Ritz Koney Island.

Any body else been there? I think it's called H. Ritz Koney Island.

I had lunch there recently. The koney dogs are definitely good, although the Dog Pit is probably still my favorite. They have a much wider menu than the Dog Pit with sandwiches, burgers and salads. The interior is cool and they have free wireless (although I haven't tried it yet).

Does anybody miss Gibson's or Duba's? There was a whole lot of talk about their closings, but I didn't think anyone really ate at either.

My wife and I miss Gibson's. Not that we went there a lot (too pricey) but it was romantic and the food was great. This was our favorite for a romantic evening.

I wonder when the Gilmore restaurant opens there? Maybe it's already open? I like how they freshened up the building, it was starting to look a bit tired.

I stopped at Marado sushi yesterday while shopping to grab a menu....do they not have a liquor license? I can't imagine sushi w/o saki or Saporo beer!

It's BYOB, believe it or not. My finance and her roommates were told they could bring they're own wine, so they went accross the street and got one.

Where is Mangiamo's? I take it that they serve Italian food? Seems like that name is familar? A Detroit restaurant perhaps? Any good?

Mangiamos is a Gilmore Collection Restaraunt [which owns The BOB, Roses, Blue Water Grill, etc]. It is in the old Gibson's building at 1033 Lake Drive SE.

http://www.thegilmorecollection.com/Mangiamo/mangiamo.html

My wife and I tried On the Border (in front of the new Cinemark on 28th St) last night for dinner. Very good stuff. Happy hour at the bar until 7p gets you $2 margaritas and half off beers. Highly recommend the Guacamole Live, where they make the guac fresh at your table. My wife had the chicken burrito (recommended by the waitress) and it was amazing. Way too good to be good for you. I had chicken wrapped in rolled tortillas then fried crisp (tostada?). Pretty good but the cheesy sauce that came with it seemed fake. They were super-busy for a Thursday night and we waited about 45 minutes for a table because the hostess wrote down the wrong beeper number. The manager lady was running around and yelling directions to the wait staff like some kind of cheerleader; pretty annoying to customers. Still, it was quite good and we'll go back again.

Archived