Restaurant Review

fluffy

I recently ate at XO Asian Cuisine on Monroe Center, and it was the best Asian food I have ever had. The atmosphere was good, and we sat next to the windows looking out at the streetscape. The food was incredible, and the prices were reasonable. Highly recommend. :thumbsup:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recently ate at XO Asian Cuisine on Monroe Center, and it was the best Asian food I have ever had. The atmosphere was good, and we sat next to the windows looking out at the streetscape. The food was incredible, and the prices were reasonable. Highly recommend. :thumbsup:

I heard XO Asian Cuisine is really Yen Ching reincarnated. Is that true?

In any case I have really good things about it too.

We had dinner one snowy night at XO, soon after they first opened.

Our dinners were terrific and I was surprised to read a restaurant review

in Recoil Magazine, I believe it was, that just slammed the place. Glad

someone else had a good meal, too. Nice atmosphere. Trying the sushi

across the mall next time we're in the mood for Asian. Cheers!

The choices were Cottage Fries (wedges), French Fries, or Brew Fries. For my take out I ordered brew fries, and I when I went to pick it up they told me that "the brew fries are now waffle fries". So sad :(

Our waitress said that people have been getting upset about it so she made sure that I knew before ordering. Last time I was there, about 3 months ago, they had the other fries. Bring back the brew fries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at Charley's Crab for the very first time last week. Alaskan King Crab was excellent (especially at half-price ;) ).

I imagine the property value of that place will experience some big changes in the next few years...

How does one come across half price crab at Charley's?

That review in Recoil totally scared me away from the place. Based on your opinion, I may have to check it out.

The sushi place (I always forget the name) is worth trying out. The atmosphere is kinda drab, but the food was very good.

I have also been to XO and thought the food was terrific. I will definitely be back there from time to time.

Hey, I stumbled upon Urban Beanery today. It is in Lighthouse Dave's building on Madison, just N of Hall. Nice looking place, very friendly staff. I will be back

Yes, but how was the coffee?!?!? I met the owner of the Urban Beanery while at

Art of the Table on Thursday. Based on Lighthousedave's mention, an article I read

awhile back, and meeting the owner, I plan on visiting soon.

We've been to the XO a couple of times now. I highly recommend it. While Yen Ching was my favorite Chinese Restaurant - XO is better. Much more contemporary food selection, with better fresh ingredients. The wait staff is very good.

I also had a great meal last week at the new Big O's on Ottawa, under VanHoek's shoes. It's much better than the pizza place that was there before.

:thumbsup: for both!

Went to Wei Wei Palace a couple days ago. On Division south of 44th. Food and service were both excellent. You can order some strange stuff there....duck tongue, pig knuckles stuffed with jellyfish, chicken feet, etc. None for me, thanks :unsure:

They do have lots of "normal" stuff there, too ;) Highly recommended

Yes, but how was the coffee?!?!? I met the owner of the Urban Beanery while at

Art of the Table on Thursday. Based on Lighthousedave's mention, an article I read

awhile back, and meeting the owner, I plan on visiting soon.

I am a bit biased, but the coffee is very good. Their panini's (sp?)are awesome for lunch. Every third of fourth Thursday evening they have a spoken word night from 7:30-10. It is called Urban Expressions at the Urban Beanery. I recommend you check it out if you see it advertised.

Hey, I stumbled upon Urban Beanery today. It is in Lighthouse Dave's building on Madison, just N of Hall. Nice looking place, very friendly staff. I will be back

I understand you also ran into my wife. :) She said you mentioned Urban Planet. I ran into someone at the Silver Derby on Thursday evening that came up to me and mentioned UP as well. It is strange how word gets around about this forum.

Yeah, Dave:

I was pretty sure that was your building, but it had been a while since I had read that thread, so I asked one of the counter guys if "a guy named Dave lived above this place". They said yes, and that Dave's wife was in the back. I went up and said hi. She is very nice (lucky guy).

Anyway, what a great little urban spot you are creating there... got to try the spoken word night, maybe have a UP gathering there...we could all read architecture poems *yawn*...oh nevermind, don't want to scare everyone off...

*Dadoff reading his favorite poem " Less is More, unless it is not..."*

Just had lunch there with one of the parents today, it is delicious. If you like spicy & sweet get the General Tso's chicken. Best plate of Tso I ever had :D

Just discoverd this board and ive lived downtown for 7 years. Cool message board here. I love the restaurants downtown. Heres some of my experiences and reviews.

Steakhouse:

Judson's, Louis Benton and Chop House. My preference is Judson's. The steaks are better prepared than at Louis Benton's and they have better prime rib. I lalso ike the atmoshere better and the wine list at Judsons. Always great food and service. Chop House seems very pricey, i do like the downstairs Cigar Bar, very classy. Judsons has never been to busy for me to get in right away but that could be because ive eaten there only on the weeknights.

Fish:

Gills at the BOB, Leo's, and Charley's Crab. Charleys is the best, Gills is the best value. Charleys is too formal for me to go on more than one occasion thats why i prefer Gills. The food at Gills isnt as fancy as Charlies or Leo's but its right up there and it wont break the bank. Gills has amazing lobster. It's weird, you walk in the BOB and you wouldnt think this fish place is any good. Wrong its great! Leo's, I've had great food there and i like the big city atmosphere. People seem to really dig the Sunday Brunch at Charleys.

Uber Formal:

1913 Room and Cygnus. 1913 is just too formal for my taste, had lunch there recently, just to damn formal and much $. Cygnus is great, they got it all and the view is spectacular, 1913 wins all the awards but Cygnus is better all around experience in my opinion. Great appetizers, filet mignon and fish, nice wine list, great desserts. If i had to compare Cygnus to the old Gibsons, its Cygnus in a route.

Italian:

Tru Cugini. Awesome Italian food from some real Italian cooks. Great decor and the food is more than i would of expected from a GR downtown Italian restaurant. I miss eating outside at the Rythmn House but these dudes did really good. You want Italian, go here.

Fun:

San Chez. Great food, great fun. Can go here on a date or go with a group of people to share food and conversation. Probably my most favorite restaurant downtown because of the mix of fun and good food. The sangria is awesome and the service is great. Sometimes long lines to get in but its worth the wait. The selection of food is great, if you cant find something to like here stick to Burger King.

American Contemporary:

Sierra Room, Bar Davini, Bistro Bella Vita. Sierra Room is my favorite of these 3. Awesome decor, i love the booths, and the food is fantastic. They have such a great variety of interesting dishes and very flavorful. Bar Davini has the most comprehensice alochol list for downtown GR. From beers all around the world to the best scotch's and cognacs nothing competes. The atmoshphere is great for cocktails and appetizers. This is the place to go for cocktails Bar none. Bistro i like for lunch and the martini bar is cool, i just prefer other places to frequent.

Bars:

Black Rose, Outdoor place on Grandville, Taps, Cottage Bar, Marguiritas, Flanigans, Mojos, Gardellos.

The only 2 places to grab a bite to eat are the Black Rose and the new outdoor place on Grandville. I know a lot of people like Cottage Bar but i dont see anything great about the place. Its not bad its just average. Both the Black Rose (spinach and mushroom dip and then fish and chips!) and this outdoor place has outdoor seating, in the summer time that gets major bonus points. Black Rose is hands down my favorite of this group. Havent eaten at McFaddens yet but that might be a winner too; adios and good riddance Tiki Bobs. Marguiritas across from the Van Andel is a joke.

Misc:

NY style pizza place next to Leo's. The service is really slow but who cares, its like you are in the big apple ya know! The pizza is great for NY style. They dont serve beer. Courtyard of Marriott for lunch. Yup thats right the CoM; they have an awesome make your own pasta bar, have your leftovers for dinner too! Bobarinos pizza at the BOB. Good homemade thin pizza. People dont knwo this but go on the weeknights when its not busy and order your pizza and sit next to the fire on the leather couch and enjoy. They dont advertise this, just ask for a menu when you sit down on the couch or chairs. Great outdoor seating in the summertime too.

Breakfast:

Cherry Street Inn. Okay this isnt downtown but its close, its on Cherry Street somewhere. Cool restaurant that serves breakfast all day. You gotta wait in line but if you want a good breakfast its worth it. Its not a greasy spoon. My wife likes eggs benedict and they have a great selection of that.

Misc:

NY style pizza place next to Leo's. The service is really slow but who cares, its like you are in the big apple ya know! The pizza is great for NY style. They dont serve beer. Courtyard of Marriott for lunch. Yup thats right the CoM; they have an awesome make your own pasta bar, have your leftovers for dinner too! Bobarinos pizza at the BOB. Good homemade thin pizza. People dont knwo this but go on the weeknights when its not busy and order your pizza and sit next to the fire on the leather couch and enjoy. They dont advertise this, just ask for a menu when you sit down on the couch or chairs. Great outdoor seating in the summertime too.

Harri's Brooklyn Pizza next to Leo's was great and among the best pizza downtown. It was sad when it closed a few months ago, but at least Big O' has moved in and also has pizza and pasta dishes.

Bar Davini has the most comprehensice alochol list for downtown GR. From beers all around the world to the best scotch's and cognacs nothing competes.

On the same note, for all you beer drinkers out there, check out Logan's Alley on Michigan. They have something like 150+ beers between the taps and the coolers.

Archived