Restaurant Review

fluffy

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't I read that you are a bartender there...so weren't you supposed to be working??? :silly:

Well yeah I bartend there, but this being opening week they needed ppl there at like 3.. which doesn't work with my "real" job schedule, so they just told me to come in and :alc:

So i will

• 1 month later...

Has anyone been to Tre Cugini on Monroe? Their website doesn't give a lot of information, like is it casual or formal and prices?

http://www.trecugini.com/about.html

I ate there last winter with my fiance. Appetizer, dinner, desert, and a bottle of wine for around $100 w/ tip. While our food was just OK, I have heard nothing but rave reviews and I refuse to believe that our food was representative of what it is usually like. I know PBJ went there a couple years ago and said it was unbelievably good.

As a side note, I got a pork chop or something.. I should have stuck to Italian food at an Italian restaurant. And the wine was very effective at doing what wine does. ;)

All helpful - you guys are great resources! :thumbsup:

Is it like Bistro Bella where you can go in jeans and nice sweater and eat in the bar area?

No, I would say it's more like the Chop House (if you've been there). Very dark, lot's of candles, nice atmosphere :shades: I wouldn't wear jeans (personally). Just wear all black (or mostly black) and you'll fit in anywhere :P

I think I had the LINGUINE CON LE FRUTTE DI MARE DEL GIORNO (Linguini with seafood of the day) :thumbsup:

http://www.trecugini.com/dmenu.html

No, I would say it's more like the Chop House (if you've been there). Very dark, lot's of candles, nice atmosphere :shades: I wouldn't wear jeans (personally).

I agree. I wouldn't wear jeans, personally, but you wouldn't be shunned. To me, it takes as much effort to put on khakis as it does jeans, so I might as well be safe :thumbsup:

It's a good mix of bistro vs. chop house.

About time somebody started something like this.

I've got two to share.

The first was Mojo's at lunchtime. We sat at the bar around noon, it's slow, but don't get noticed for a few minutes. The bartender tells us she didnt know they served food or something like that, and gets a waitress to come behind the bar and take our order, it's about 12:20 now.

We eat at 1:00, leave at 1:15. Moral: don't got to Mojo's for lunch.

(On a related note, my roommate is suing the place for medical bills from a bouncer pushing him down the stairs.)

Then we tried Graydon's (Braydon's) Crossing, the new place on Plainfield where the scoreboard used to be.

The design was real cool and the food was decent, if light portioned. The waitress was like a day past 18 and had been on the job for like 20 minutes--this is what the owner said when he sat our table. I'll cut her some slack, but man, I hope they get that kink worked out.

Oh wow, i was reading through some of the earlier posts and saw something about the Rio Grande Steakhouse next to Pietro's on Northland.

That place sucks as all get out. I went there a few months ago on a Saturday, must have been like 10:15 and we were the third group in the waiting room. We wait for a few tics, a server comes in and just tears by all of us. Two more do the same.

A couple of us, all strangers, walk into the dinign room and try to get someone's attention. They see us, then pretend not to. I've never seen anything like it.

it sounds chineeze

This is a joke, right?

These threads always turn into what restaurants NOT to go to.

So here's a good one. I ate at Charley's Crab two weeks ago. I had calamari for an appetiser, surf and turf for the main course, and regular coffee for my desert. I also had two 'pale ales.' All was delicious. And free valet parking too. I recommend everyone goes there sometime soon. Incredible.

I've been pretty happy with El Burrito Loco in Knapp's Corner. It's was busier the second time I went and the service was a little slower, but the menu is huge, food is good and reasonably priced. They did a great job with the interior.

I have to try that place, it's very close by ;)

So here's a good one. I ate at Charley's Crab two weeks ago. I had calamari for an appetiser, surf and turf for the main course, and regular coffee for my desert. I also had two 'pale ales.' All was delicious. And free valet parking too. I recommend everyone goes there sometime soon. Incredible.

Glad to hear Charley's Crab was good twoshort. I remember you talking about going a while back. I had heard that it was not as good since Leo (?) left and opened his own place, but still good.

Then we tried Graydon's (Braydon's) Crossing, the new place on Plainfield where the scoreboard used to be.

The design was real cool and the food was decent, if light portioned. The waitress was like a day past 18 and had been on the job for like 20 minutes--this is what the owner said when he sat our table. I'll cut her some slack, but man, I hope they get that kink worked out.

DSchoon, is Graydon's more of restaurant, or primarily a bar with a bar food menu?

I have to try that place, it's very close by ;)

Glad to hear Charley's Crab was good twoshort. I remember you talking about going a while back. I had heard that it was not as good since Leo (?) left and opened his own place, but still good.

I tried Leos awhile back and wasn't impressed that much. Charleys is good though. And if want to really impress your spouse/fiancee/significant other, nothing beats Cygnus. The view alone makes it worth your while.

I've been a lurker here for a couple months, but I thought I'd speak up on this post.

Had one of my worst restaurant experiences ever at the new Silver Cactus on Carlton in Eastown behind Dominos. The menu looked good (Mexican), and the interior was nicely done. My wife and I ordered, got a couple beverages, no liquor license apparently. We sat there and talked awhile, the waiter never comes back. Half an hour goes by and I shoot the waiter a dirty look, he comes over and says, "Yeah it'll be awhile there a nine people ahead of you, they haven't even started making your food yet." I look around there are only 10 tables with people in the place! The couple behind were the only ones with food, and said they waited an hour and a half! Tamales and burritos can't be that difficult. I would cut them some slack, but no one looked in a hurry, no one warned us about the wait, and I know who the owner is and he never came by to say anything.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Also tried XO. It's pretty good. The Pad Thai was decent. They are getting a liquor license soon. Atmosphere is pleasant. I'll definitely go again. I don't know of any better Chinese downtown. For Thai I'd still pick Bombay in Eastown.

I've been a lurker here for a couple months, but I thought I'd speak up on this post.

Had one of my worst restaurant experiences ever at the new Silver Cactus on Carlton in Eastown behind Dominos. The menu looked good (Mexican), and the interior was nicely done. My wife and I ordered, got a couple beverages, no liquor license apparently. We sat there and talked awhile, the waiter never comes back. Half an hour goes by and I shoot the waiter a dirty look, he comes over and says, "Yeah it'll be awhile there a nine people ahead of you, they haven't even started making your food yet." I look around there are only 10 tables with people in the place! The couple behind were the only ones with food, and said they waited an hour and a half! Tamales and burritos can't be that difficult. I would cut them some slack, but no one looked in a hurry, no one warned us about the wait, and I know who the owner is and he never came by to say anything.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Also tried XO. It's pretty good. The Pad Thai was decent. They are getting a liquor license soon. Atmosphere is pleasant. I'll definitely go again. I don't know of any better Chinese downtown. For Thai I'd still pick Bombay in Eastown.

Welcome LowLax! I thought Bombay only had Indian food. I have never seen any Thai on their menu. There is a place in Jenison (I know, I know..) near the Meijer that has decent Thai food. Bangkok Taste I believe is the name if it.

The Silver Cactus was a huge disappointment. While their signage, graphics and even the building they are in gave us a lot of hope that a good mexican restaurant had finally arrived, the food was a big letdown. One of the biggest problems with it was the lack of quality ingredients. I would not recommend it.

There used to be a little mexican restaurant near the corner of Fuller and Leonard, that had far superior food. It was completely family run. The building he was in was horrible, his location was not so great, but the food was very, very good. I think they are out of business now, he had trouble competing with Adobe, across the street.

Tre Cugini, is an excellent restaurant. Probably the best Italian I have had in Michigan and certainly close to some of the Chicago restaurants in quality of their food. Try their homemade pasta, either the Gnocci or the Ravioli, both of which are excellent and authenic.

Archived