Florida's Graduation Rate America's Lowest

Florida

We're not helpless. All we need to do is throw untold billions of dollars at these people who don't care.

Alright, I'll try to be good. ;)

Just who is throwing $$ at schools?? I work in a brand new public school, we can't afford paper, we can't afford books. If I try to take the day off because I'm really sick I get read the riot act because the county can't afford to pay subs so there are none. I'm usually asked to cover other people's classes with no compensation. Oh, and we have a teacher shortage because the pay rate is so poor that all of our classes are overcrowded. When you see the guy who is throwing $$ at school send him my way.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just who is throwing $$ at schools?? I work in a brand new public school, we can't afford paper, we can't afford books. If I try to take the day off because I'm really sick I get read the riot act because the county can't afford to pay subs so there are none. I'm usually asked to cover other people's classes with no compensation. Oh, and we have a teacher shortage because the pay rate is so poor that all of our classes are overcrowded. When you see the guy who is throwing $$ at school send him my way.

Don't come complaining to me. I pay the requisite portion of the untold billions which are (at least reportedly) spent on schools year-in, year-out. Not that I don't sumpathize.

Lok i went too skool in Floorida and i turnd out allright.

mE Two ! :P

I've seen this poll over the years. You can make statistics point to any result you want. I believe this is the poll that checks 9th graders and then goes back to the same high schools 4 years later to see if they graduated. Well guess what??? In a transient state like Florida where so many people move the poll shows that only 50% or so of the 9th graders they registered four years ago graduated... No kidding.... This doesn't mean they did not graduate somewhere else. I think this poll skews the graduation rates and makes them seem more favorable in states that have a stagnant population.

In a transient state like Florida where so many people move the poll shows that only 50% or so of the 9th graders they registered four years ago graduated... No kidding.... This doesn't mean they did not graduate somewhere else. I think this poll skews the graduation rates and makes them seem more favorable in states that have a stagnant population.

Excellent point - you can make stats say just about whatever you want them too, and in Florida, it's easy to use selected numbers for political advantage (because of the tranciency Florida experiences), which is what the media is attempting to do here. I'll bet the school system in an area like Las Vegas experiences the same phenomenon and the same could be said of that system.

It's a hard thing to fix. As a parent of two kids in elementary school, I'm convinced that teachers are by-and-large excellent, caring and qualified. Parental involvement is the key to success.

Does anybody have the 2004-2005 graduation rates for the following counties Hillsborough, Duval, Dade, Broward and Orange. I wonder how these 5 counties stand against each other.

Leon County's graduation rate for the 2004-2005 school year if I am not mistaken is 71.89%

• 1 month later...

Florida's best performing schools are always in the upper-middle/upper-class parts of our state's cities. The inner-city schools don't fare so well. I went to Rickards High School for 3 years, and for the 03-04 year, we were a C, but as of now we're a D school. But we do have a good IB program, plus our Brain Bowl dept. can't be touched.

Archived