High Museum Expansion

Andrea

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This may not get as much hype as Atlantic Station did and the aquarium will but this is a fantastic development for the city and it looks amazing.
My personal feeling is that the strength of the fine arts is possibly the most critical component of becoming a great city. Not to knock, say, the Galleria, but there's a huge difference between creating a nest of tall buildings and developing a deep pool of long time residents with the committment and resources to lift your community above the pack.

My personal feeling is that the strength of the fine arts is possibly the most critical component of becoming a great city. Not to knock, say, the Galleria, but there's a huge difference between creating a nest of tall buildings and developing a deep pool of long time residents with the committment and resources to lift your community above the pack.

True, I mean otherwise Paris might not be so well known :P

I agree with your 2nd post Andrea. I only wished that more Atlantans supported the arts here in Atlanta. We have a wonderful Opera. I have attended some of the same operas a million times now. Our symphony orchestra is great....as I have said many a times before. The High Museum us now getting much needed recognition and help from civic minded Atlantans. Thanks also to Mr and Mrs John Wieland for their wonderful donation. There are several other donors to the High who have contributed time, money and art to make this one of the south's leading art institutions. I am just so happy with the expansion and in a few months I will definitely make my appearance there.

I would also like to add for those of us who are amateur Egyptologist, the Carlos Museum at Emory University is a state treasure. This is the museum that saved the remains of the venerable Pharoah Rameses the Great. They then selflessly donated the remains back to the National Egyptian Museum. Because of this gesture, the Carlos Museum will always be aligned with the National Egyptian Museum in Cairo. That means we will see treasures here in little ole Atlanta that no other city in the western hemisphere will be privy to. What treasures this city has....... :thumbsup:

I would also like to add for those of us who are amateur Egyptologist, the Carlos Museum at Emory University is a state treasure. This is the museum that saved the remains of the venerable Pharoah Rameses the Great. They then selflessly donated the remains back to the National Egyptian Museum. Because of this gesture, the Carlos Museum will always be aligned with the National Egyptian Museum in Cairo. That means we will see treasures here in little ole Atlanta that no other city in the western hemisphere will be privy to. What treasures this city has....... :thumbsup:

True, it is a treasure, but I don't care for it...4000 year old dead guys scare me.

True, it is a treasure, but I don't care for it...4000 year old dead guys scare me.

Ironchapman, this is not a personal swipe at you hun but your sentiment is probably shared by many a metro Atlantan. Hence our museums not been as patronized as say a Braves game during regular season. We can't get past the fact that a mummy is a dead guy to see the richness of Egyptian history (although Rameses' son is rumored to have been the "pharoah" of the Book of Exodus. But I digress......even still, this is one of the worlds first civilizations. That fact alone should have had metro Atlantan's clamouring to see the exhibit.

We will eventually grow up. Mind you, I love my sports but I also realize that great civilizations also treasured the arts....

Oh how I wish Emory had moved into the CBD instead of it's current location way back when. With Emory's political and financial clout, they could have been the NYU of the south. Oh, well.
Well, we do have Georgia State, Ryan, and if they can fully implement their Main Street Master Plan we'll have a true urban university. I also like what's going on with the Historic Westside Village (groundbreaking November 3) and the Atlanta University Center. Tech's a little further north, of course, but it's got a pretty urban feel as well.

Although Emory isn't in the CBD it really is a lovely intown campus that adds a lot to the city.

Ironchapman, this is not a personal swipe at you hun but your sentiment is probably shared by many a metro Atlantan. Hence our museums not been as patronized as say a Braves game during regular season. We can't get past the fact that a mummy is a dead guy to see the richness of Egyptian history (although Rameses' son is rumored to have been the "pharoah" of the Book of Exodus. But I digress......even still, this is one of the worlds first civilizations. That fact alone should have had metro Atlantan's clamouring to see the exhibit.

Oh, I know Lady Celeste, trust me :)

I love history. Egyptian history is one of my favorite things to learn about because they were so advanced for their time. It;'s fascinating to see what they developed. I just have always been afraid of 4000 year old dried up mummies.

Love the new avatar, BTW! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Attention all art lovers!!

This is a great bit of news. The Louvre in Paris has decided to partner up with the High Museum to unveil a "Louvre in Atlanta" project. Through this, some of the Louvre's collection will be on display in the High periodically throughout the year. The High Museum of Art is the only museum in the USA to get this honor! It is also the first time the Louvre has ever decided to have a long-term partnership with another museum to share collections!!!

See Article! (Miami Herald)

This is great news for Atlanta!!!! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Archived