Sprindale Minor League Sports Complex and Minor League Baseball Stadium

mcheiss

Downtown needs a remodeling yes, and more business's, but I think more will come.

Lake Atlanta really has fallen off a bit in the past years, there's been a lot of crime and gang activity over there. It really is nice though.

Gang activity? In ROGERS?

Damn, times they are a changin'.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gang activity? In ROGERS?

Damn, times they are a changin'.

Yeah there's some hispanic gangs forming. I think I remember one of the names as being Surl 13 or something dumb like that. But, Rogers Gang Task Force arrested the 3 gang members responsible for about 80% of the gang activity in Rogers and they'll be behind bars for a long time.

Yeah there's some hispanic gangs forming. I think I remember one of the names as being Surl 13 or something dumb like that. But, Rogers Gang Task Force arrested the 3 gang members responsible for about 80% of the gang activity in Rogers and they'll be behind bars for a long time.

Yeah they've been having problems with gang related graphitti a lot. I have been hearing about that. But it does sound like some hispanic gangs are starting to pop up in Rogers. I really haven't heard of any problems in Springdale yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

This was printed in this morning's edition of the Morning News....

SPRINGDALE -- A minor league baseball team could be in Springdale by late 2007.

But it is more likely to happen in 2008, Perry Webb, president and CEO of the Springdale Chamber of Commerce, said Tuesday.

A variety of teams and owners have contacted city leaders about the possibility of a minor league baseball team in the city.

Webb said plans for the proposed baseball park were posted on an ownership Web site.

"We've been getting a lot of contacts from leagues and owners looking at Northwest Arkansas as a potential market," Webb said. "If we have the opportunity to catch an affiliated team, it's in our best interests to do so."

An affiliated team is a minor league team that is a farm club for a Major League Baseball team. An independent team has no major league affiliation.

"The Texas League would be a good geographic fit," Webb said. "But it's very difficult to get teams to relocate."

Webb said talks are moving forward and there "should be some action" to be made public within the next three months

Hey guys,

This was printed in this morning's edition of the Morning News....

SPRINGDALE -- A minor league baseball team could be in Springdale by late 2007.

But it is more likely to happen in 2008, Perry Webb, president and CEO of the Springdale Chamber of Commerce, said Tuesday.

A variety of teams and owners have contacted city leaders about the possibility of a minor league baseball team in the city.

Webb said plans for the proposed baseball park were posted on an ownership Web site.

"We've been getting a lot of contacts from leagues and owners looking at Northwest Arkansas as a potential market," Webb said. "If we have the opportunity to catch an affiliated team, it's in our best interests to do so."

An affiliated team is a minor league team that is a farm club for a Major League Baseball team. An independent team has no major league affiliation.

"The Texas League would be a good geographic fit," Webb said. "But it's very difficult to get teams to relocate."

Webb said talks are moving forward and there "should be some action" to be made public within the next three months

Ugh, I didn't get a Morning News today and the Ark Dem-Gaz didn't have anything on it that I saw. Oh well, I'm sure I'll hear more about it in the future or that you'll keep me up to date.

I like how they are scouting for a Texas League team, but it's going to be hard to hook one in.

Well I guess it sounds like we have some time to try to lure one in. But I also think it will be hard to get one here. It sounds like they are all set in some nice stadiums and cities. Whereas I could see some of them thnking this is a bit of a risk because we aren't as established as many of the other cities.

Well I guess it sounds like we have some time to try to lure one in. But I also think it will be hard to get one here. It sounds like they are all set in some nice stadiums and cities. Whereas I could see some of them thnking this is a bit of a risk because we aren't as established as many of the other cities.

I think it's a big risk going up against UA athletics in NWA, which is a small market anyway. I wouldn't do it.

How big do you think the market needs to be up here before it's seriously looked into?

Preferably Austin-sized but at least half a million. Midland is a micro-market but they're willing to pour all their resources into keeping the team and have no competing entertainment.

Springfield has a team but SMS doesn't get the kind of support that UA does. College baseball will consistently outdraw minor league ball in NWA as long as Van Horn is coach.

Preferably Austin-sized but at least half a million. Midland is a micro-market but they're willing to pour all their resources into keeping the team and have no competing entertainment.

Springfield has a team but SMS doesn't get the kind of support that UA does. College baseball will consistently outdraw minor league ball in NWA as long as Van Horn is coach.

True, that is something to consider. Some smaller metros are able to support teams but they probably don't also have a major university there either. I guess if there's a good side to this then it's by the time there probably is a team the population will probably have grown closer to the mark. Although I admit even with all the growth I don't know what we'll be projected to have population-wise around 2008.

What would the team be called? In case you guys haven't noticed, most corporate teams of any sort in Arkansas are always called "Arkansas [insert name]"....never, "Little Rock Travelers" or "Little Rock RimRockers". I guess it's to attract Arkansans from all over the state to the team (since AR has such a small population).

"Springdale [insert nickname]"?

"Northwest Arkansas [insert nickname]"?

What would the team be called? In case you guys haven't noticed, most corporate teams of any sort in Arkansas are always called "Arkansas [insert name]"....never, "Little Rock Travelers" or "Little Rock RimRockers". I guess it's to attract Arkansans from all over the state to the team (since AR has such a small population).

I have no idea, but I think they'll be more likely to go with Arkansas than NWA. The NIFL team here in Fayetteville is going to be called the Arkansas Stars. I'm sure some of it is hoping that it might attract some attention outside of NWA since the Razorbacks are a statewide thing. That and it's so much easier just to say Arkansas than the Northwest Arkansas whatever.

Something to keep in mind is that UA sports don't allow alcohol and Minor League sports do... and if the baseball stadium is in Springdale then I'd bet it'll easily outdraw UA baseball. Another thing to remember is the majority of people that live in NWA aren't from NWA and only settle for UA baseball (and football for that matter) and they'll easily pay $10 to go to the ballpark whether they like beer or not.

Something to keep in mind is that UA sports don't allow alcohol and Minor League sports do... and if the baseball stadium is in Springdale then I'd bet it'll easily outdraw UA baseball. Another thing to remember is the majority of people that live in NWA aren't from NWA and only settle for UA baseball (and football for that matter) and they'll easily pay $10 to go to the ballpark whether they like beer or not.

That's a bet I would take.

Arkansas' baseball attendance was 2nd in the nation at nearly 8000 a game last season. Few AA parks even have that much capacity, none have that kind of attendance.

Hmmm those would be though names to fill.

How about: Northwest Arkansas Flash

Don't ask about the name, I just came up with it because it sounded good.

• 3 weeks later...

The Northwest Arkansas Sports Authority Inc. has secured a contract to purchase 40 acres near Interstate 540 and plans to build the $10 million to $15 million baseball stadium on the site.

The land could be purchased in the next few weeks and an announcement concerning a Class AA minor league baseball team is expected in three to four months. So far, officials from both affiliated and indepedant leagues have contacted the city of Springdale for possible relocation.

The Northwest Arkansas Sports Authority Inc. has secured a contract to purchase 40 acres near Interstate 540 and plans to build the $10 million to $15 million baseball stadium on the site.

The land could be purchased in the next few weeks and an announcement concerning a Class AA minor league baseball team is expected in three to four months. So far, officials from both affiliated and indepedant leagues have contacted the city of Springdale for possible relocation.

Who in the hell could that team be? Midland's locked up with a new stadium. NWA's only chance is for one of the AA teams to go AAA and for Springdale to slip in that way but IMO it's very risky for a Texas League team to opt for NWA over places like Shreveport and Jackson that they abandoned because these places couldn't support teams.

Who in the hell could that team be? Midland's locked up with a new stadium. NWA's only chance is for one of the AA teams to go AAA and for Springdale to slip in that way but IMO it's very risky for a Texas League team to opt for NWA over places like Shreveport and Jackson that they abandoned because these places couldn't support teams.

We know the Arkansas Travelers are going to stay in Little Rock, and that Springfield Cardinals are definately staying in Springfield since the John Q. Hammons Stadium was just built.

Then there's the Tulsa Drillers, the Whicita Wranglers, the Frisco Rough Riders (which just got a new stadium as well, so I can't see them leaving), the Midland Rockhounds, the Chorpus Christi Hooks, and the San Antonio Missions.

Tough choice, but if it's anyone in the Texas League, I'd have to say the Chorpus Christi Hooks.

We know the Arkansas Travelers are going to stay in Little Rock, and that Springfield Cardinals are definately staying in Springfield since the John Q. Hammons Stadium was just built.

Then there's the Tulsa Drillers, the Whicita Wranglers, the Frisco Rough Riders (which just got a new stadium as well, so I can't see them leaving), the Midland Rockhounds, the Chorpus Christi Hooks, and the San Antonio Missions.

Tough choice, but if it's anyone in the Texas League, I'd have to say the Chorpus Christi Hooks.

I looked it up to see what kind of stadium they had, I had forgotten they got a TL team. This is a new team, they got a AA spot when Round Rock (Austin) jumped up to AAA. Both Round Rock and Corpus Christi are owned by Nolan Ryan. This is the stadium they built for the team, apparently this year was its first year to be open:

opening-day.jpg

I wouldn't think they would be leaving that soon after a new stadium was built, I'm sure there's some sort of contract in place.

Archived