217 North Eola?

firemick

What's wrong with having high rise development on all four sides of the lake? As it is I've always thought that the park would have a better sense of place if it were hemmed in on all four sides. That could just be my own personal affinity for hyper urbanity, though.

i agree. yesterday i noticed how the view of the vue from i-4 eastbound at princeton combined with the waverly and its two neighbors to the west really begins to define the lake eola area. i love the idea of high-rise density around the park with a nice little hole in the middle!

edit: but wait ... if this happened would there be any sunshine in the park?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree. yesterday i noticed how the view of the vue from i-4 eastbound at princeton combined with the waverly and its two neighbors to the west really begins to define the lake eola area. i love the idea of high-rise density around the park with a nice little hole in the middle!

edit: but wait ... if this happened would there be any sunshine in the park?

Of course there would be. We're not talking LaSalle Street type canyons. Just a framing of contemporary/post-modern towers. Meaning the shadows cast will not be large enough to emullate the feeling of Wall St. at 1 in the afternoon where it feels like you're in a cave.

My primary objection to this project is just that--density. This mid-rise would, in my humble opinion, be better suited for the neighborhood south of the lake. I believe that we should reserve some of the lakefront view for low density, single family homes. I am a student in Atlanta and you can see the same thing in the Buckhead neighborhood just north of Atlanta. there are definite areas where density is encouraged and championed by citizens, but there is an equally strong push by citizens to preserve the archaic neigborhoods that are nessled behind these mid-rise buildings. The way the two work together creates a very nice neighborhood and really contributes to property values as well. Essentially preserving the character of the neighborhood is my main concern.

Besides, would this particular location contribute to density or diffusion? I think it would truly contribute to density if it were further south, but because of the location it currently occupies it simply contributes to diffusion of density. A sporadic mid-rise tower here and there isn't bad, but this location (once again, in my humble opinion) is.

based on the heat we've had to deal with the last few days, if I had a weather device to make Orlando like Seattle, I would activate it.

Bring it!

Also, I agree on the "framing" of Lake Eola. The Waverly, Capital Plaza, etc. aren't tall enough to "box" in the park from sunlight. It would definitely create a sense of place. Seriously, when you think of Lake Eola you see panoramas of the SW and W banks of the lake... that's even what Starbucks chose for the "Orlando" mug. Now imagine if the N and E banks were equally as picturesque.

The park is not big enough.

Post Offce Park in Boston is a fourth the size of Lake Eola Park and is surrounded by 500 footers. It gets plenty of sunlight and makes for a unique and urban experience. I'm all for it! This may not be the prettiest design but its better than that med. revival crap proposal for Robinson.

• 4 weeks later...

Either at the crack of dawn this morning or sometime yesterday, they took down the fence, then, replaced it with a new one and planted some shrubs/bushes and laid down mulch.

To me, this looks like a sign of NO movement on this project for some time to come.

funny... the complete opposite of the Monarch site, which put up a new fence around the whole site and what not.

• 2 months later...

A little squirrel (since some people have problems with birdies) sat on my shoulder (and not in Winter Park, cuz those squirrels bite) and told me that this thing may start turning dirt next month. Should start major construction in Jan or Feb despite the legal wranglings with its neighbor.

A little squirrel (since some people have problems with birdies) sat on my shoulder (and not in Winter Park, cuz those squirrels bite) and told me that this thing may start turning dirt next month. Should start major construction in Jan or Feb despite the legal wranglings with its neighbor.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
217 seems to have mobilization issues. I would be nervous if my cranes operated above Lowndes. Although many disagree, this is a great infill site and will do well even if all the other projects never surface due to the small amount of units and location. I would rather live in a 42 unit building rather than a 300+ unit building.

With all due respect I dont know what the big deal is regarding the protection of their facilities/employees. This is nothing new, just perhpas we are now hearing of it because of the fact that it's the Lowndes group? Everyday we deal with this, whether it be Dynetech and the childrens school, or the Plaza and its attorneys offices we are forced to travese. I personally didn't read up on the subject because at this point I care very little about this property.

Put a big net around the counterweights and call it a day, or don't build it ata all. My suspicion is that Jack Jennings doesn't have the balls or intelligence to fix a minor problem like this so who the hell knows how this all ends up.

Sorry, slept in, woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

Wow, i find it hard to believe that our little town is having problems building things b/c of view rights and construction concerns. I just came back from NYC and i was amazed people have a view of a wall out there window that is maybe 12" (that is inches not feet). Its crazy up there, my first real trip into the city, it was a amazing, so many big buidings. I will say though that what is proposed in orlando is much nicer looking then most things that are up there in that city, everything is dull and dark up there with no architectural design to it.

Wow, i find it hard to believe that our little town is having problems building things b/c of view rights and construction concerns. I just came back from NYC and i was amazed people have a view of a wall out there window that is maybe 12" (that is inches not feet). Its crazy up there, my first real trip into the city, it was a amazing, so many big buidings. I will say though that what is proposed in orlando is much nicer looking then most things that are up there in that city, everything is dull and dark up there with no architectural design to it.

With all due respect I dont know what the big deal is regarding the protection of their facilities/employees. This is nothing new, just perhpas we are now hearing of it because of the fact that it's the Lowndes group? Everyday we deal with this, whether it be Dynetech and the childrens school, or the Plaza and its attorneys offices we are forced to travese. I personally didn't read up on the subject because at this point I care very little about this property.

Put a big net around the counterweights and call it a day, or don't build it ata all. My suspicion is that Jack Jennings doesn't have the balls or intelligence to fix a minor problem like this so who the hell knows how this all ends up.

Sorry, slept in, woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

• 3 months later...

Archived