Virginia vs. South Carolina: your preference?

upstate29650

Virginia or South Carolina?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Virginia
    • South Carolina

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a "different" comparison, but of course I would choose SC. I do like the NoVa area though, and Richmond seems like a cool city; seems comparable to Columbia on some levels. Don't know too much about the Hampton Roads area though; I've only been to Norfolk once. Myrtle Beach kicks Virginia Beach's behind. :P

I have lived in Greenville, SC and Washington, DC, and visited areas in both states. So I find this to be a very interesting discussion.

I like the fact that Virginia has something for everyone. The Northern Virginia area caters to DC and so you have a lot of neat suburbs (Alexandria, Arlington, Tyson's Corner, etc.) with a lot of people and a big city feel. Go toward the coast to Hampton Roads and you have the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area's maritime feel. I was surprised at the number of people that almost seemed crammed into that area when I visited. The insane number of naval bases and stretches of populated beaches are a stark contrast to the feel of Northern Virginia.

Then you go to the Southwestern part of Virginia to the Appalachian region. Roanoke reminds me a lot of Asheville (at least in appearance - I have never really spent much time there). Blacksburg is a really neat college town tucked away in the mountains. The feel in Southwest Virginia is much more rural and slow-paced, and once again offers a different feel than the other areas I mentioned.

Then there is Richmond, the capital city. It has an impressive skyline as you drive through on I-95. When driving north, Richmond is the first reminder to me of the industrial past of the United States. Many of the old factories and buildings are depressing, and do not make Richmond a very attractive city to those passing through. It seems to have something different to offer than the other areas, though.

South Carolina is interesting in its own right with major areas (Greenville, Charleston, Columbia, and Myrtle Beach) that have very different vibes. Each has something to offer everyone, regardless of taste or preference. I am sure many others will expound on SC's metros, so I will leave it at that.

I chose VA.... Like another poster said, the various regions of the state each have a something special to offer tourist. I really enjoy the Hampton Roads area, although the area isn't as developed as it will be in the near future. It kind of reminds me of NYC (with the 7 cities kinda set up like the 5 boros)

I love s.c., but i'm going to have to go with Va. virgina has a lot of cool cites,but particualr northern va; dale city, alexandria, fredricksburg, richmond all connects with d.c. making the metropolitan huge. Northern Va is like a big surburb to d.c. But southern Va is quite rural.

Yeah, my vote made it even! :thumbsup: I have to say my home state of SC. It gets alot colder in VA, and SC has more of a subtropical feel. I do like Richmond and Norfolk, and I am especially impressed with their size and skylines...but SC cities have more appeal, not just because I grew up in this state, but because I feel that SC cities have more potential to be major urban centers in the future.

It's not necessarily fair to compare the two states since Virginia is much larger both in population and area. That said, Virginia seems to be more interesting and diverse in the character of its different regions. NOVA, Richmond, Hampton Roads, Charlottesville and Roanoke are all very different from each other. NOVA is even diverse within itself with Arlington and Alexandria being a lot more urban and politically liberal than Faifax County or Prince William County. Similar differences can be found throughout the state. And, obviously, Virginia's sons were highly influential in the establishment of this country but also many of its institutions, beliefs, etc. from the Declaration of Independence, Constitution to statutes for religious freedom.

South Carolina wins on the coast though - Charleston, Hilton Head, Kiawah, et al are quite nice...

I will choose VA. Used to live in NOVA, none of the cities in SC can compete with it if there is any. Besides, NYC,DC, Philly...are within reach while there are zero resepctable cities around SC.

"Zero respectable cities around SC"? You don't consider Charlotte, Atlanta, or Savannah respectable? Bigger ain't always better my friend.

I can't do this...there is no other to chose. I lived in Hampton for 4 years and regret leaving. The only thing missing is a major league team. It is a very urban place that gets no respect at all. One memory I have is parking my car on Chesapeake Ave in Hampton on July 4 and watching Newport News, Norfolk, and Hamptons fireworks overlooking the James river.

However I have spent time in SC and I have more of a connection there(relatives). So I can't vote on this...to hard. As for VA beach ummmm...I don't like it that much because most times people don't go there for the water...I prefer Nags head for family time at the beach. If I were single then I might like Va Beach.

I will choose VA. Used to live in NOVA, none of the cities in SC can compete with it if there is any. Besides, NYC,DC, Philly...are within reach while there are zero resepctable cities around SC.

Sunshine - you don't have to appreciate all cities, but your comment 'zero respectable' is totally childish. Any person in the country, if not the world who appreciates urban design has often made one positive remark about Charleston, SC. Otherwise, just across the river in GA is Savannah, which also receives a great deal of praise. I will gladly argue myself blue in the face with anyone who is so blind to not at least respect these cities.

Now, if you don't like Greenville or Columbia - two mid sized cities, then that is your perogative.

But then again - my favorite VA city is Richmond, though Alexandria & Charlottesville get a lot of consideration. But the overall Northern Virginia suburban area, well - it's Gwinnett County (suburban Atlanta county) on steroids.

LOL @ "Gwinnett County on steroids."

I tell you, Arlington might be a suburb, but it's one of the most urban suburbs I know. You practically can't tell where DC ends and Arlington begins. The mid-rise density there is a wonderful thing.

Wasn't Arlington created out of land the District of Columbia gave back to Virginia. Whatever the case Arlington is a wonderful place.

Wasn't Arlington created out of land the District of Columbia gave back to Virginia. Whatever the case Arlington is a wonderful place.

something like that, i know they took land from Maryland and Va to make D.C., I love the vibe in D.C.. It's a big city feeling that Charlotte or Atl can't give

I am really torn on this one. I am from SC, and its no contest that SC beaches are better than those in Va. On the other hand, the Va mountains are some of the most beautiful in the USA (excepting NC) and DC is the most exciting city in the South if you ask me. (though technically its not in VA). I also like Roanoke and Charlottesville.

An interesting comparison. The two states have very simliar geographies and histories.

My vote is obviuosly for SC. We may be a smaller state, but the variety of living options here are wonderful, and its not hard to go and visit any of them and return home in a day from almsot any point in the state (though going to and from Myrtle Beach from the Upstate may be a bit of a stretch.)

Most of the arguments so far against SC seem to focus around the fact that we don't have the sprawl from DC (though Charlotte is starting to have a similar effect), and that we have less population, which are both pretty weak arguments if you ask me.

Virginia.

Charlottesville is so charming. Of course eastern Virginia is great because you are close enough to a major city (DC) for rubbing shoulders with the right people, fine dining and shopping and great historical and artistic institutions...yet a hour or two away from horse country. Charleston does alot to recommend SC but I have to give my vote to Virginia. One is not better than the other...it's just that my choice would be VA. The cache is also great and they have nationally known private schools.

This is true, and a common complaint about the Southern USA forum setup. I really wish we had some Virginians over here to give their input. It might mean less votes for SC, but it also make for a more informative thread.

Well, this Virginian made an attempt to sway the mods into including the state in the Southern boards...but was shot down... :whistling:

I love SC....expect for the whole psycho Columbia chick thing :rofl: , but it's a great state. My heart will always be in VA, so I cast my vote there. No other state can compare with the diversity of georgraphy, people, history & culture that VA encompasses. In that single state, you can find vestiges of the old South, the progressiveness & urbanity of the northeast, and a sense of history untouched by any other state. You find the "rush, rush" of major population centers, and slow, small towns that still address their elders "Yes Sir, No Ma'am". Beaches, mountains, and everything in between. A state government that is actually praised as one of, if not the most, efficiently run in the nation. A public school system, especially in Fairfax County, without peer. A strong committment to build roads & expressways, evern around small towns. A low cost of living.

Just some thoughts.

Archived