Virginia vs. South Carolina: your preference?

upstate29650

Virginia or South Carolina?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Virginia
    • South Carolina

This is true, and a common complaint about the Southern USA forum setup. I really wish we had some Virginians over here to give their input. It might mean less votes for SC, but it also make for a more informative thread.

Though I agree with what you guys are saying, VA isn't being slaughtered over here, despite SC large forum population here.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is true, and a common complaint about the Southern USA forum setup. I really wish we had some Virginians over here to give their input. It might mean less votes for SC, but it also make for a more informative thread.

Its not that common of a complaint. :whistling:

However if I make any changes it will be to split of the south section, not make it larger.

This isn't in terms of forum arrangement, but I tend to think of the eastern regions in the following way (in terms of geography as well as culture):

I have always considered "deep south" to be south Georgia (as in below Atlanta), Alabama, Mississippi, and Alabama. The culture here tends to be different from the rest of the south.

"South" is north Georgia (Atlanta and above), South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia (excluding northern Virginia)

Mid-Atlantic would be northern Virginia, DC, Maryland, perhaps parts of Pennsylvania and Delaware.

This isn't in terms of forum arrangement, but I tend to think of the eastern regions in the following way (in terms of geography as well as culture):

I have always considered "deep south" to be south Georgia (as in below Atlanta), Alabama, Mississippi, and Alabama. The culture here tends to be different from the rest of the south.

"South" is north Georgia (Atlanta and above), South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Virginia (excluding northern Virginia)

Mid-Atlantic would be northern Virginia, DC, Maryland, perhaps parts of Pennsylvania and Delaware.

Well said. I guess TX, AR, OK would be south central. Would LA be deep south or south central?

This thread is amusing. Makes me think of the old saying: "North Carolina is a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit".

That quote really gets at the historic essence of both Virginia and South Carolina. It may not be applicable today, but it really acknowledges both states images of themselves during colonial days up to the Civil War. And, conversely makes NC look all the better...

VA is undoubtedly SOuthern in character, but it is in the Mid-Atlantic area to allow it more of a connection within the forum to DC and the other cities in that area. VA is much more connected to its northern neighbor than it is to its southern one.

Umm...I'd disagree with you there. NOVA, yes. SW VA is more connected to NC (and TN & WV to a lesser extent), as is Hampton Roads. The Penninsula is connected to the other Delmarva states (for obvious reasons).

The center of the state, including Richmond, is pretty much it's own entity, not relying, connecting, or dependant on any other state.

In land area, culturally & economically, the Southern part of the state has much more in common with NC. NOVA has more people, but is smaller in area.

^Agreed... Places like Petersburg, Roanoke, and Danville remind me of Burlington, Roxboro, Oxford, etc... It's all about proximity really. The northern parts of NC and southern parts of VA blend nicely and can be hard to distinguish.

The transmitter for one of Raleigh's top rated radio stations is licensed to a town in Virginia. It's easy to forget how close even Raleigh is to the state line. One county stands between Wake and Virginia. Of course, there's nothing but trees and and deer in that part of VA. :silly:

I generally don't pay attention to these polls, but this one intrigued me. I still didn't vote, but I've never thought of these two states as being comparable. About the only thing I can think of that the two have in common is the Atlantic coast (civil war history notwithstanding).

But as I think about this, I believe SC has the brighter future. It seems to be aggressively attacking its problems (with education, crime, and stagnant economy) with sound solutions. It strikes me as better managed.

Plus, SC is getting a reputation as being a playground for the rich. Heck, my family has a house on Pawleys and Pawleys is far from the nicest/most exclusive beach in the state. Houses there start at $1m.

I don't know a lot about SC's beaches, but Hilton Head and Kiawah Island are pretty exclusive. Isle of Palms (Wild Dunes resort especially) is also.

Not true. Kiawah and Isle of Palms both have county beach parks that provide plenty of access to the general public (as a child, I boogieboarded waves at Kiawah). Isle of Palms with the exception of Wild Dunes is accessible to the public as well. It has many areas where you can park your car and walk on a pier to get to the beach.

Hilton Head is a different story. I've only been to its beach when I've stayed there with family for vacation.

If you are a mountain lover, VA tops SC easily. More coverage for mountains, there higher and there nicer to look at.

If you are a beach lover, SC edges over VA and this is because of warmer waters and more access to the beaches statewide

If you are seeking urban/downtown lifestyle, VA cities edge over SC but Charleston in my opinion beats any VA city

If you are seeking rural way of life or perhaps a small town, VA beats SC because i find VA more progressive.

Scenery overall: VA wins

Weather: SC wins

The price of booze: VA wins big big big time :alc: (cant get a 30 case in SC!)

People in general (friendly): SC edges over and this is because Nova put VA down

I have not lived in VA and SC (SC... not too long for me though) so i cant vote on whos better. Say if NC was an option, id be voting NC! :D

I meant "exclusive" in terms of housing prices and limited real estate.

I was aware that Isle of Palms has public access, but I did not know that Kiawah did. I thought it was totally private. Good to know. :)

Yeah, the misconception of Kiawah lacking public access is due to its "next door neighbor" Seabrook Island. That is privately owned, and the general public is not allowed unless you are a guest of a resident on the island. And that beach has great scenery, from what I've been told.

• 2 months later...

I've gotta go with the state I grew up in--Virginia.

VA's largest cities are larger than SC cities and generally offer more entertainment opportunities (IMO).

SC has beautiful rivers and bays surrounded by marshes, but they cannot compare to the majesty of the Chesapeake Bay.

VA's mountains are higher and cover a large portion of the state. They're good for skiing (maybe not this year, though), and the many caverns and natural formations (i.e. Natural Bridge & Natural Chimneys) are amazing!

I do have to say Virginia has nothing that comes close to the character of Charleston. I love that city. And I love palmettoes but I don't think these quite make up for the advantages VA has in my mind.

Oh, and a SC disadvantage: mini bottles! :alc:

Archived