Virginia vs. South Carolina: your preference?

upstate29650

Virginia or South Carolina?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Virginia
    • South Carolina

Yeap dude, but DC has fallen off in population last year.

The National politics and the City politics of DC are two differant things dude. NP is everybodies problem, I blame GWB my friend.

And many of those people DC proper "lost" simply moved to the Virginia suburbs. Fairfax, Tyson's Corner, Falls Church, Reston, Chantilly, etc. are growing very rapidly. I will be surprised if DC proper loses much more population though, because it is such a desirable and great place to live.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The blue laws vary by county.

Not only that, but many cities have abolished them altogether: Greenville, Charleston, Spartanburg, Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head (I think), and maybe a few others. Also, mini bottles weren't banned, but they are now optional. Many places have switched to free pour, but some still have minibottles. As long as were in this area of discussion, I should add that SC just approved laws that allow for the creation of tattoo parlors (upon local approval). SC is slowly jumping on the progressive train. Slowly.

• 3 weeks later...

Well this is an interesting discussion. It seems the main reason people like Virginia is because of a city that does not even lie within it's borders. I'm not sure why being enveloped by sprawl from a city not in your state would make it so appealing, it would be less appealing to me. And aparently the only "pluses" for SC is Charleston and expensive beach houses.

I think Virginia is one of the most Beautiful states in the country, and I have been to almost all of them. The scenery of Western VA cannot be beat. The weather there is fantastic; not too hot in the summer, cold enough for some snow. But SC has a few of these same factors going for it. It is also a beautiful state, and (for the South) it's weather isn't too shabby. SC has four very different major metro areas which is incredible considering it's size. It doesn't have the highest mtns or the whitest beaches or the largest cities. But it has a little something for everyone. Charleston has some great attributes to be sure, but if your SC experiences have been limited to it and expensive beaches, then you are missing a heck of a lot. I can't say that I "prefer" one state over the other, but I would say that bothe states have a LOT to offer anyone who is thinkin of visiting or moving.

I think that's a fair assessment, and for the record, IMO, with the exception of the unbelieveable amount of money up there, Northern Virginia is nothing compared to the rest of the state. You know DC sprawl is bad when there are actually people that commute from Richmond to DC every day.

I think that's a fair assessment, and for the record, IMO, with the exception of the unbelieveable amount of money up there, Northern Virginia is nothing compared to the rest of the state. You know DC sprawl is bad when there are actually people that commute from Richmond to DC every day.

That is crazy. Richmond to DC is about an hour and a half drive WITHOUT traffic congestion and slowdowns. And you can almost always count on a delay somewhere along I-95 between the two, regardless of when you go. I don't wish that commute on anybody!

It seems the most backups occur on I-95 around the Occoquan River area going northbound; heading southbound... when the HOV lanes end. Good thing the Springfield Interchange area is largely finished but now, the Wilson Bridge project is another headache for 45237589 years

That is crazy. Richmond to DC is about an hour and a half drive WITHOUT traffic congestion and slowdowns. And you can almost always count on a delay somewhere along I-95 between the two, regardless of when you go. I don't wish that commute on anybody!

There are people who really, really do work in DC, but live in Richmond, because of the sprawl -That's true-.

And your right too, Richmond between to major Metro areas of the Northeast Megalopolis DC-Baltimore and Hampton Roads then richmond adds up the conjestion. Making it murder sometimes between cities manly Virginia Beach and DC.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes... I know people that live in Richmond and commute to DC. Some people take the Amtrak train from Richmond to DC, others drive to Fredericksburg and take the Virginia Railway Express, while the insane ones drive that stretch.

Create a true high speed rail connection between the two cities that is affordable and I bet the number will grow. Bringing that DC salary down to Richmond can buy you the world :)

Archived