Gas price collusion?

upstate29650

I understand the whole supply & demand thing. I also know SC, traditionally, has some of the lowest fuel prices in the country. I know two major pipelines run through the Upstate (Colonial & Plantation). And I also understand that wholesale fuel distributors basically set the price for gas in a given area.

So on that note, I don't understand how last weekend, reg unleaded was $2.08/gal around Roanoke, VA, when it was still in the low $2.30's in Greenville. Our state taxes on fuel are lower than in VA, and we're on the pipelines...whereas Roanoke has a "spur" of one of the pipelines connecting to that area. Plus, it costs less to deliver gas via pipeline to SC, simply because we're "closer" to the point of origination than VA.

I smell some collusion in the Upstate. Most gas is controller by local distrubutor (his last name is that of a famous Egyptian monument). I'd hate to think he is keeping the prices artifically high in our area.

What are your thoughts, and can anyone shed more details?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps this is an overly simplified explanation; however, could there have been a price war in or around Roanoke? $2.08 seems a bit low for Roanoke. Wytheville, maybe. But Roanoke?

What I find interesting is the fact that one particular chain of gas station/convenience stores which has multiple different locations (not naming names) offers their gasoline for different prices, depending on what part of town you're in. The really oddball thing about this is that the prices are usually lower on the East Side (Woodruff, Garlington/Roper Mountain, etc.) than in the less affluent parts of town. :wacko: Go figure.

Perhaps this is an overly simplified explanation; however, could there have been a price war in or around Roanoke? $2.08 seems a bit low for Roanoke. Wytheville, maybe. But Roanoke?

What I find interesting is the fact that one particular chain of gas station/convenience stores which has multiple different locations (not naming names) offers their gasoline for different prices, depending on what part of town you're in. The really oddball thing about this is that the prices are usually lower on the East Side (Woodruff, Garlington/Roper Mountain, etc.) than in the less affluent parts of town. :wacko: Go figure.

UPDATE!

Just received a call from family up in the Roanoke area. Gas at a local Kroger's is $2.00/gal....$1.97 with your Kroger Plus card!!! Grrrr!

As far as fewer formulations & mixes go, Virginia has colder (& snowier) weather than SC, which would preclude that state to have MORE mixes.

I still say something smells In G-ville. Maybe that distributor has eaten too much of his own chicken??

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw gas at 1.99 at a Spinx and several other places near downtown Anderson, but its still 2.09 here in Gville. Funny, ain't it. It was 2.30 in Boston several weeks ago when I filled up the rental in Southie, and the next day, it was 2.75 in the upstate. So, yeah, there is something funny going on. Gas has always been almost on par with us in New England, but New York was always more, and I'm noticing that now we're on par with New York.

I just saw gas at 1.99 at a Spinx and several other places near downtown Anderson, but its still 2.09 here in Gville. Funny, ain't it. It was 2.30 in Boston several weeks ago when I filled up the rental in Southie, and the next day, it was 2.75 in the upstate. So, yeah, there is something funny going on. Gas has always been almost on par with us in New England, but New York was always more, and I'm noticing that now we're on par with New York.

I saw 1.99 in several places in Greenville yesterday. Wade Hampton in Taylors and White Horse Rd at Farrs Bridge Rd.

Archived