The Columbia Motel is coming down!

gamecockgop2004

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The parking lot to the east of the Colonial Center (directly in front of it)--is one of Innovista's buildings going to be constructed there or a parking garage?

Not one but two of Innovista's buildings are going to be built there. That block will called Foundation Square. I'm talking about the block between the Colonial Center and the Koger Center.

• 3 months later...

With the Carolina Plaza coming down, I once again thought about the now vacant lot where the Heart of Columbia motel once stood. Does anyone have any information about what may go in that space? It's really a prime piece of real estate. I hope it doesn't get wasted!!! ... or remain vacant either. With the new hilton finally underway, that area is REALLY shaping up!

With the Carolina Plaza coming down, I once again thought about the now vacant lot where the Heart of Columbia motel once stood. Does anyone have any information about what may go in that space? It's really a prime piece of real estate. I hope it doesn't get wasted!!! ... or remain vacant either. With the new hilton finally underway, that area is REALLY shaping up!

I have heard mention of another hotel being built there.

In another post I said the Carolina Plaza had been blocking the view of the state house all these years from Knox Abbott at the Congaree. This was inaccurate. If the Heart of Columbia Hotel had been as tall as the Carolina Plaza, it would have been blocking it. So, on that block the architectural review board should be careful with height. While the Carolina Plaza was not blocking the state house, its absence from that spot sure did bring the state house out.

Another hotel? Am I the only one who thinks there are enough hotels for the time being? I don't think that will happen since it is USC property. They already have the USC Inn. I am more in agreement with the potential for some grand entrance to Innovista. Now they just need to do something with the building/ lot accross the street from the new School of Health.

According to USC news, that parcel will make room for Innovista.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing one more hotel in the Vista; something like a Hawthorn Suites or AmeriSuites or something like that. I did say a Doubletree in the past, but that chain is owned by Hilton, and the convention center hotel under construction is a Hilton so that's out. Hawthorn Suites and AmeriSuites are owned by Hyatt though, so that would work. With the success of the convention center and its advantage of being SC's only major urban convention center, why not get some more quality hotel rooms in the vicinity? It could attract more conventions.

Another hotel? Am I the only one who thinks there are enough hotels for the time being? I don't think that will happen since it is USC property. They already have the USC Inn. I am more in agreement with the potential for some grand entrance to Innovista. Now they just need to do something with the building/ lot accross the street from the new School of Health.

The Heart of Columbia property, not the Carolina Plaza property...isn't that what this thread is about?

The Heart of Columbia property, not the Carolina Plaza property...isn't that what this thread is about?

Yes. You are right. I forgot what thread I was in (I browse UP with multiple tabs open at once). But my opinion still stands. I am not convinced that Columbia has the need for so many new hotels.

How about a Westin, or a W Hotel, even a Sheraton....something by Starwood!

I think a Westin would potentially upstage the new convention center Hilton. The Palmetto building on Main is being converted to a Sheraton, so there would be no need to build one in the Vista as well.

I'd like to see a newer hotel replace the Holiday Inn Coliseum.

Yeah, the inside is not the worst :blush: I have seen, but for its location and purpose I agree :thumbsup: that it should be better. Definately the outside needs updating! Maybe add a few more floors, a new high class retaurant (Capital City Grill), a few botiques (or maybe a Brooks Bros.), you know give the place a little more class. :shades:

Yeah, the inside is not the worst :blush: I have seen, but for its location and purpose I agree :thumbsup: that it should be better. Definately the outside needs updating! Maybe add a few more floors, a new high class retaurant (Capital City Grill), a few botiques (or maybe a Brooks Bros.), you know give the place a little more class. :shades:

I'd love to see a Brooks Brothers in Columbia...and a Mark Shale. You'd be pleasantly surprised by a number of locally owned men's shops, though: Savoy in the Vista, Granger-Owings, Weathers, Louries....

Archived