The Columbia Motel is coming down!

gamecockgop2004

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see a Brooks Brothers in Columbia...and a Mark Shale. You'd be pleasantly surprised by a number of locally owned men's shops, though: Savoy in the Vista, Granger-Owings, Weathers, Louries....

On Lady Street the building that used to be the used Mercedes place or whatever now has a sign in the window that says American Apparel coming soon.

I read a while back that they were coming. The chain is from California. A wings and beer restaurant is supposed to be taking the place of Meritage.

Yeah, Wild Wings is opening in the former Meritage location when the streetscaping is complete. Lady Street should turn out to be quite a little strip in the next few years. I checked out American Apparel's website. They seem to have stores in prime locations so I'm hoping for something cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, I heard that Wild Wings was going to the Vista, but I didn't know it was at the Meritage. They will do well there.

I wish the Meritage would come back :whistling: . It was a great place to visit at about 12 or 1 in the morning after attending some event downtown. Classy with good food. I find it truly unfortuante that the City wont help it to return :cry: . There aren't many nice places to get some good food late at night down town. When the only thing that is open is IHOP (not complaining about IHOP or other little spots that are present) in a capital city on a weekend night, thats simply :( sad!

I wish the Meritage would come back :whistling: . It was a great place to visit at about 12 or 1 in the morning after attending some event downtown. Classy with good food. I find it truly unfortuante that the City wont help it to return :cry: . There aren't many nice places to get some good food late at night down town. When the only thing that is open is IHOP (not complaining about IHOP or other little spots that are present) in a capital city on a weekend night, thats simply :( sad!

:thumbsup: I agree

I also agree. I can't think of how many times I've been downtown on a weeknight after a basketball game or Koger Center event and couldn't find anywhere open to eat. I think DT restaurants should be aware of events that are happening and plan accordingly. A lot of sales have been lost from 10pm - 12am, especially on weeknights.

Garibaldi's and Grilled Teriyaki in Five Points are both open late. Liberty's in the Vista is open late and has great food. The Rhino Room is also open late.

I don't think Jack in the Crack is found any further south than those counties that are along the SC/NC border.

Well, there's one in Anderson county. But, I'm almost glad that there isn't a jack in the box near campus. Fast food restaurants always make an area look worse unless they're built like the mcdonald's in the Vista. Now there's an idea... building design requirements off of Assembly...

Archived