Billboard Angers Parents

GRDadof3

Kib, I work in Rockford, so here are come helpful hints: DO NOT cross the Grand River if you are on the Northeast side (anywhere along the E Beltline or Plainfield Ave), and if you are on 131 on the North side, don't go any further than the West River Drive exit. You should do OK with those two parameters (as far as the North side goes) :D IMO.

All I know is that there is a bunch of trees and then rockford slowly sprawls into existance :P

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the geography primer.

Based on the press reports, I was afraid the only way I'd know I was in Rockford was when my vision would start to grey out and I would suddenly come to believe all pregnancies were the result of that damn rock n' roll music, Jackie Robinson was the downfall of baseball and a good leech poltis would clear up jock itch and the "heebee-jeebee's"

All the same, I think I'll try and steer clear...

Thanks for the geography primer.

Based on the press reports, I was afraid the only way I'd know I was in Rockford was when my vision would start to grey out and I would suddenly come to believe all pregnancies were the result of that damn rock n' roll music, Jackie Robinson was the downfall of baseball and a good leech poltis would clear up jock itch and the "heebee-jeebee's"

All the same, I think I'll try and steer clear...

I don't mean to be the buzz-killer here, but its worth noting that probably 99% of Rockford residents think this is as stupid as we do. These folks shouldn't speak for the town.

Just sayin' ;)

The funny thing is these people are acting the same way as the people they are so in favor of fighting in Iraq. What's next head scarves?

Easy....that's a bit of a stretch, to say the least. But I will keep by thoughts to myself so this thread doesn't turn into a political flame-fest :D

From Fox 17's Web site:

Said Harkema, "When you're driving 55 miles an hour down the road you don't want to talk about a sensitive subject, you would rather have that conversation in your home."

And later in the same article:

By mid-morning the billboard was changed, replaced by a United Way public service announcement with faces of children.

Oh, no! This doesn't solve anything! Now poor Mary Harkema is going to have to have to talk to her sheltered suburbanite spawn about why so many children right here in West Michigan are allowed to live in poverty -- so many, in fact, that we as a community need to donate to the United Way charities to help them! Wow. That'd be tough to do standing still, let alone at 55 MPH. I'm a fairly cosmopolitan 30-something, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it ...

:huh:

In related news:

Nov. 8th, 2005

Byron Center

"Jane Williams likes to joke around with the kids during their morning commute on 131, but not when the subject is screws. 'I just can't believe any decent company would advertise in such a way', exclaimed Jane. 'I'm horrified!' A company spokersperson from Ace Hardware apologized for the error, and guaranteed that all screws would be removed from all Ace Hardware stores by the end of the day to eliminate any misunderstandings and keep young boys from chuckling in the fastener aisles.

WJBJ News

b000.jpg

http://www.djron.com/bbs.html

While the province of this web site is dedicated to cities, places, regions (or at least that what it says at the top of the page) it's disingenuous to not consider the actions of a community's citizens as a point of discussion, praise, or ridicule. Otherwise all you're left with is a chit-chat on buildings, at that point you might as well just do a website on architecture.

I submit that until there is some indication or statement from other organizations or community members/leaders in Rockford that Ms. Harkema doesn't reflect the prevailing attitudes you're to find in that town, you've endorsed that attitude by your silence. ( a long way of saying, you've got to call bullsh*t if in fact you believe that's the case)

Not that many years ago there were plenty of places in America that would wink-wink all sorts of thinking that we as a county now consider abhorrent. Polite only gets you so far.

Maybe I'm preaching to the choir, and while I'm sure there are all kinds of swell folk in Rockford, all I have to go on is perception echo's reality until otherwise demonstrated.

Now back to our regular programming

OK, I give Rockford a pretty hard time, but in their defense, this woman is banding together with a group from a certain CHURCH in Rockford, and not on behalf of the citizens of Rockford (and not on behalf of the entire church for that matter). I personally find the whole thing amusing and quite child-like, but am I offended by their actions, no (except the vandalization part <_< and who knows who did that). They have a right to protest anything they like.

Is it time to stick a fork in it?

Archived