Traverse City

MJLO

Does anyone have any pics on TC? I love going there during the summer it is a very well kept city. and the area is growing at a Decent clip? Any stories, pics, or news of Developement would be welcome. I'm to ignorant with these computer things to know how to post or quote or anything. consider me the resident Michigan Cheerleader for those of us who can! :)

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just pick up a copy of Traverse Magazine at any Meijer store (or any bookstore for that matter):

http://www.traversemagazine.com/#

Here's some development news I found:

http://www.record-eagle.com/2005/apr/07front.htm

http://www.record-eagle.com/2005/oct/16gassid.htm

And there is a cool condo building that was built in the late 90's right downtown:

1645566.JPG

http://www.brownfields2002.org/proceedings2000/3-09d.pdf

and a cute downtown retail area with a WAITING LIST of people looking to open up shop (beotchs!) :)

downtown_traverse_city_front_street_03.jpg

(These are random photos I found on-line)

It's worth the drive ;)

Edited by GRDadof3

I've always loved TC, and its growing a lot up there, I think they should expand the city limits to include all the developed area surrounding, its a nice small town that feels a lot bigger than what it is but it does draw a lot of tourists.

check out the new airport boom with new flights and very nice new terminal My Webpage

I also heard there are plans to look into a US31 expressway bypass of the city, that would reduce a lot of summer traffic, hopefully have a very limited amount of exits to control sprawl.

I thought I'd look up some information online about Traverse City since I didn't know much about it and I found wikipedia's profile on it really interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traverse_City

I was very suprised though to read that in the 2000 census it only had 14,532 people. I thought Traverse City had way more then that.

Traverse City Record Eagle: http://www.record-eagle.com/

Municipal populations aren't the greatest indicator of city size. The Traverse City Urban area has over 40,000 people now.

thats why I was suggesting TC should anex some land because being there, you would think it is a lot bigger than what it is. It looks bigger than cities like Holland, midland, and Baycity and has some more development but not a population or city limit to show for it

• 1 month later...

I would love to see pictures of Traverse City too. Hopefully someone will post some. I've been wanting to visit TC for a while now.

well, here is a picture of the park place hotel...the tallest building in town(i got it from there website)

parkplace.jpg

and this is a picture i got from the record-eagle website(newspaper)....its a drawing of a 3 story building planned to be built on west front street

18front.jpg

also there is a 7 story building thats in the proceses of being approved by the city, and two 8 story buildings proposed to be built in downtown

i may go up there in the next few months, if i do i will snap some pics of any buildings or if they begin construction on thoose buildings,i will get pics of them , too ;)

well, here is a picture of the park place hotel...the tallest building in town(i got it from there website)

parkplace.jpg

and this is a picture i got from the record-eagle website(newspaper)....its a drawing of a 3 story building planned to be built on west front street

18front.jpg

also there is a 7 story building thats in the proceses of being approved by the city, and two 8 story buildings proposed to be built in downtown

i may go up there in the next few months, if i do i will snap some pics of any buildings or if they begin construction on thoose buildings,i will get pics of them , too ;)

Welcome dtown and thanks for the pics!

• 4 weeks later...

Here are some pics from around Traverse City. I would like to go out and get some more but, it's about 20 degrees out and I hate the cold. Good thing I live up north right. :wacko:

This is the Grand Traverse Resort in Acme.

e9666e60.jpg

This is the Park Place Hotel from Union St down an alley.

2b44f005.jpg

This is looking down Front St. heading west.

f6b9d7ae.jpg

And this last one is a picture from an alley between Front St. and State St. looking east toward our very first parking deck.

6e0b0748.jpg

When it gets a little warmer and nicer looking outside I would be more than happy to get some more pictures on here.

Thanks. I actually just found this site a week ago looking for some pics from Flint, my old hometown. The pics turned out huge though, I going to have to scale those down.

Here is a pic from randon websites that I found.

This is The Boardman River looking west with downtown behind the river.

scott_river.jpg

Edited by Ka3kab

• 2 weeks later...

I have a somewhat better picture of the resort, I scanned in the postcard I have of it from when I was there about 3-4 years ago. :)

If you've never been there, you definitely have to try to get there at somepoint. :) Gorgeous and tranquil setting, and it's practically like a miniature city inside the resort. I was there for the Michigan Student Councils State Conference, so if I could have fun at the resort during that time, so can you. ;)

Hmm....I thought I had attached the picture, but it must not have taken. Hopefully this will show up.

TC.jpg

Edited by VeeFan