Traverse City

MJLO

oo, i figured u guys would have a ton of snow...shows what i know

by the way, any pics u have ,please post them

Actually because of the bays, were pretty insulated from the snow, not that we don't get a ton (98 in. so far this year).

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like I said, here in Traverse City, we've had 98 inches. 30 east of here though in places like Kalkaska and Cadillac, their totals are more like 175 inches. All I know for sure is that I'm glad spring is coming. :D Oh and also back a couple of posts, I don't have any shots of Harbour View yet, but I keep meaning to go over there. And now going back even farther, the fenced off area is just a big hole. Around the same time that Radio Centre was being proposed, another developer was proposing another four story building for that spot. It used to be a tire dealership and during excavation there was a lot of contamination. The developer stopped the project and its been sitting there ever since. Kind of a waste of space. Some people want to develop it but others want to turn it into a park. Don't know where I stand on that issue, the area where they demolished the power plant is all parkland now along with the whole waterfront area from about 3 miles north of the city limits to the Holiday Inn.

Edited by Ka3kab

yeah, i think i read about that some where...i think a building there would be cool

Harbor View is a pretty nice looking building though

2.jpg

...i saw there condos on their website, they are NICE..buy way expensive

i cant wait til sping either...i might get to go up to TC in the spring,so that would be pretty cool

Hey, here is the rest of the pics I took a couple of days ago, sorry about any doubles. I've lost track, how the hell do you guys keep up with what you've put up and not. :wacko:

f0f86b4c.jpg

Again, can't remember the name of this place.

600e6550.jpg

From the deck looking towards Riverview.

ab357af0.jpg

Same as the one at the top.

8b6ea425.jpg

I think I may have posted this already. :blush: Anyway.

eaec99d5.jpg

Ok, go back to the top of this post and your looking at the front of that building.

b0b32aaf.jpg

Riverview Terrace from the river.

9e1da3d9.jpg

This used to be the County courthouse, now it's just a law office. Why have I been here before? :whistling:

DSCF0027.jpg

A senior apartment building.

DSCF0028.jpg

Riverview Terrace again. As you can see I really am in the river, or on the river I guess.

DSCF0029.jpg

Part of riverview.

DSCF0030.jpg

The front of Riverview Terrace with the new skywalk, our first in Traverse City, ooooohh. :unsure:

DSCF0031.jpg

Haggerty Insurance building. It's what's connected by the skywalk.

Edited by Ka3kab

Dtown, going back a couple of posts to the snow thing. I found these pictures I took on November 15 and 16. It's pretty funny.

edfghb.jpg

This is on the 15th. I hadn't snowed at all yet this year and then just about 10 short hours later it looked like this.

ijuhgfd.jpg

Pretty messed up how the snow comes around here.

Just for kicks and giggles heres a pic of my dog and looking down towards East Bay from Elmbrook golf course, of course in the middle of summer, I can't wait.

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0051.jpg

Edited by Ka3kab

TC really is a nice little burg, and it's growing quite nicely, I think they should extend the 131 north, and give some kind of loop extension over to Traverse city, That could really help the growth and economy up there, if they made it more accessible.

They've been trying ever since I moved up here back in 1991 and probebly before that. We're a backward people up here, most people aren't receptive to change of any kind. Although in the past 10 or 15 years there has been a lot of it. But it always takes years for a project to be proposed and finished, if it even gets that far.

TC really is a nice little burg, and it's growing quite nicely, I think they should extend the 131 north, and give some kind of loop extension over to Traverse city, That could really help the growth and economy up there, if they made it more accessible.

I can't believe this still hasn't been done. It such a pain in the ass getting there. I go a couple of times every summer; those two lane roads scare the sh** out of me at night. Some people are doing 90 and other are going 45.

great pics Ka3kab..thoose are some nice buildings

and Gary, some people are CRAZY on thoose roads, on my way up there the day before thanksgiving it was snowing SO hard, white conditions almost...and this guy was going like 70, then when we came around the corner, his lights disapeared, i think he went in the ditch

EDIT:and i though that complex with Hagerty at it was Rivers Edge...and Riverview Terrace is public housing

Edited by dtown

Wow, you're right. Don't I feel like a dumba$$. :blush: Oh well, sorry bout that. Anyway, yeah, I love driving back up here at night, and during hunting season. A bunch of dumb drunk asses in full size pick-ups trying to get back downstate as fast as possible. I thought it was called vacation for a reason.

Edited by Ka3kab

Evening all. Awsome day up here at the 45th paralell. Alsmost hit 50 degress. So, I took the guinn ( that would be my dog Guinness) out for a walk around the old state hospital grounds. Some interesting things going on over there. Their still in the process of restoration on most of these building, but some of them have been finished. Anyway have a look, took a bunch more but don't have time to post all of them.

Also, Dtown, here's the pics you've been waiting for.

6404db56.jpg

This is the biggest of the building at the hospital. Building 50.

5f3c28f9.jpg

78fcda89.jpg

ea415e57.jpg

Those two are for you dtown.

This last one kind of sucks because my camera sucks, but I tried.

197c38ac.jpg

Anyway enjoy.

thoose are great!!! :thumbsup::D t'was a great day to take pics today

Did you take that skyline(i guess you'd call it that) pic from the area where they moor all thoose sail boats?

and harbor view looks good, it looks better in the summer when it sunny and grassy though

yea, i really hope i get to go up there soon and wander around

P.S. if you have any pics of Munson Hostpital, please post them, ive kinda wondered for a while what that building looks like, the funny thing is, my aunt works there, and ive been there before. but it was dark when i went up there, and we parked in the parking garage so i didnt see even how tall the building is

Edited by dtown

All right, let's see what I can find.

Acme Twp. 4,459

East Bay Twp. 10,167

Garfield Twp. 15,474

Traverse City 14,508

Elmwood Twp. 4,377

Blair Twp. 6,793

Long Lake Twp. 7,853

Grand Traverse County 82,752

Those are the 2004 estimates from the U.S. Census.

i read somewhere that the population of TC in creases by over 100% during the day due to commuting

EDIT: actually its 105.1%, or an increase of 15,266

heres the link City-Data.com - Traverse city its about a third of the way down the page, under some graphs about household income and house values

Edited by dtown

That doesn't suprise me. Traffic gets pretty bad sometimes around town. Nothing like Detroit or anything like that, but the majority of our roads up here are two lane. Also, there aren't many places too work outside of Traverse City and the outlying townships. I work with people that drive from Cadillac and Boyne City and Gaylord/Grayling, so I wouldn't doubt that the county population swells to well over 130 or 140,000 people a day.

Anyway here are some more pictures that I took yesterday at the State Hospital grounds, a couple of more shots from harbour view and one picture that I took looking out towards Leelanau County/Gleilikville (sp). And Dtown, I took the picture of Traverse City "skylike" from the last pic. Enjoy.

osh15.jpg

osh13.jpg

ooh, sunspot. <_<

osh12.jpg

haha, sorry about the Northflight Ambulance helicopter there, I thought I heard something. :D

osh11.jpg

osh9.jpg

osh8.jpg

osh7.jpg

osh6.jpg

Traverse City's attempt at graffiti. ;)

osh5.jpg

osh3.jpg

osh2.jpg

osh1.jpg

harbourview2.jpg

harbourview.jpg

grelikville.jpg

As you can see from some of these pics, these building are in bad shape, but thier working on them, as you can see in some of the other pics. Actually one of the best restaurants in TC is located in the building from the last of the hospital pics, Stella Trattoria, very good, kinda expensive.

Edited by Ka3kab

GREAT PICS!!!! That first pic really showed me how much potential that state hospitol building has if it was fixed up, i cant wait to see it when its done

anyway, Gaylord, wow thats a pretty long commute...seems to me it would be cheaper to move to TC than to pay for gas to drive that far everyday

oh and where you took thoose pics of harbor view, thats my favorite beach...West End beach i think its called?

Edited by dtown

I'm a little ignorant on this one, the state hospital is closed right? Those Buildings are beautiful, they could really turn them in to a great resort. I see tons of developement potential. What's the scoop?

The state psyciatric hospital is closed and has been since the late 80's. Up until a few years ago, around 1996-97, they sat vacant and deteriorating, as you can see. Some of the building have been completely revitalized and the rest are waiting to be finished. I don't think there is a single building that hasn't had some work done to it. Munson Medical Center uses one or two of the buildings as apartment's for people whose family members have to travel too far to see. (MMC is the only large hospital north of Grand Rapids or Saginaw) The others are used as offices and like I said, there is a very good restaurant there also.

The Clinch Park Zoo is probebly going to move there within the next few years, but I doubt that it will turn into a resort, seeing as how most of the property is public and like I've said in past posts, there is a strong resistance to development around here. People have had and are having a hard time to all of the development downtown and yet don't want to see sprawl. Different subject, I would love to get into some time but don't have time right now. :wacko: Anyway hope that answered some of your questions.

Sure it did.

Are you saying that the people in TC are a bunch of NIMBYs?

That people are fighting new things coming to town? Why do they do that? Sometimes I wish I could pack up all the NIMBY's and move them to there own island. That way they could all sit around and be grateful that nothing ever happened and nothing ever changed.

DOWN WITH NIMBY'S!