Traverse City

MJLO

you know, the Grand Traverse area is really growing, I'd love to see, it grow with a small bit of density. A few more mid rise residential buildings downtown. Maybe a couple of office. and a 131 loop that extends to around where the mall is and maybe a little furtherwest. Then extend 131 closer to petoskey, and make it connect to 75 near the bridge, and that part of the state could benefit tremendously from the easier access. I think it would be awsome to see what could happen

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ya know, I have no idea. For some reason this project just never really interested me that much. The fun part about this transfer station is that basically it will be a huge waste of space and money. I see these tiny little BATA busses all over town with maybe 2 or 3 people on them at any given time. Ridership is in the thousands for the year. Too me it's just a huge waste. And yes maybe more people should use public transportation in Traverse City, but the reallity is no one will.

in a smaller city like TC, i didnt figure many people did ride the bus, and i dont think many people will, but at least the city is trying(i guess).but maybe the sation might encourage more people to ride, especialy tourists, beacause ive seen how bad traffic can get in the summer, but i doubt many tourists will ride it

well this is pretty cool

07-01-Entranceaerial.jpg

http://www.ballparkdigest.com/stadiums/new...erse_city_3.htm

i will have to go to a game there in the summer

Too bad it isnt in town though

how cool would that be if it was built on Boardman Lake on Woodmere Ave , and there was like a trolley or something that could take people from there to downtown and other parts of the city.

what do u people think?

im not sure when exactly it will be completed, but it will be done in time for the season opener in may

yeah, i wish this was downtown somewhere, it could really bring alot more people downtown, but apparently, the owners could afford land downtown, or something like that

Edited by dtown

The stadiums is done execpt for small details. I would have been nice if it was closer to town, but the owners could not afford it. They did pay for everything themselves, no state grants or anything like that, kind of a change for sports venue owners even if it is a small stadium.

This is the project proposed by Gerald Snowden for the corner of Front and pine, overlooking the Boardman river, has this been approved yet, Ka3kab?

Pine-Street-Development.jpg

i think it looks great :thumbsup: , should be a great addition to downtown, get a little more going on over in the west end, and if that other project gets built across the street, that would be really cool,actually there will be this building, the 8 story one across pine, then the 3 story one across front, its a building barge!!!!, well could be one anyway, if all these get approved and built

Snowden has some nice projects, thoose Brownstones on the Boardman are pretty nice looking

State-and-Boardman-Pic.gif

Edited by dtown

I have no idea. That's the first time I've even seen that 7 story project, I think. It's recertification time here at work and I don't have a lot of free time, if you know what I mean. If something isn't in the paper on my days off, I'm lost right now. It would be a nice addition though. They (the city commision) look like their going to put the parking deck for right there up for a vote by city residents which kind of sucks because city residents don't want these things. It's us outlying people that would like a place to park, but we have no say.

I love Traverse City, it's a beautiful mix of rural and urban. Even the older developments (e. g. area around Cherryland Mall) look good. Unfortunately, from where I live (Oscoda), it takes FOREVER to get there!

Speaking of Cherryland, does anyone have pics of it before it was turned into the half-dead strip mall it is now?

Yes, near Chums Corners, and for all of you who have no idea what or where that is, it's 7 miles south of Traverse City of US 31. 10 years ago it was nothing, not even a corn field, but a couple of tractor supply companies and crappy car dealerships.

tcmap.jpg

This was the best I could do, the star is just about where the stadium is, about a block off.

Over the years it has become a little more normal. There are still the Tractor Supply Company and International Trucks dealership, but also a grocery store, banks, yummy fast food joints :sick: , a half dozen or so subdivisions and of course a baseball stadium. It really is amazing how fast things can change.

Edited by Ka3kab

22condo.jpg

Here's a cool story. A developer want to convert this building (sorry about the pic) into 70 high end condos. It opend in the 1980's as the Reef Energy Center, a gas and oil exploration company, but went bust when all of the gas and oil had been pumped out the area. It has been a couple of different insurance companies since then, most recently the Harleysville Insurance office. They don't need the space and want to sell it to a developer from Dallas, TX. He in turn wants to turn it into condo's price in the, hold on now :yahoo: $300,000 to $500,000 range. Cheap right :shok:.

It's a really cool building, I'll have to go out there and take some shots of it.

BTW it's in Greilickville, just north of the city limits on West Bay.

Yes, near Chums Corners, and for all of you who have no idea what or where that is, it's 7 miles south of Traverse City of US 31. 10 years ago it was nothing, not even a corn field, but a couple of tractor supply companies and crappy car dealerships.

tcmap.jpg

This was the best I could do, the star is just about where the stadium is, about a block off.

Over the years it has become a little more normal. There are still the Tractor Supply Company and International Trucks dealership, but also a grocery store, banks, yummy fast food joints :sick: , a half dozen or so subdivisions and of course a baseball stadium. It really is amazing how fast things can change.

Of course, before all that, there was a drive-in (The Sundowner) out on that stretch of 31 near Chums Corner... as far as I know, the drive in was only open for like five years.

By the way, speaking of Chums Corner - I noticed that TC's only Dollar General is in Chums, and the nearest Family Dollar is Kalkaska. Even though Family Dollar is usually for small towns, I see plenty in bigger towns, so I'm surprised that they don't have one in TC at all.