Traverse City

MJLO

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing that I haven't posted in the past week. Just waiting and waiting for the Cherry Fest. go get here and get over with. I hate it, I'm becoming a complete local, I used to love the festival. Now I just want it to get over with. Too much traffic, not enough infrastructure. Oh well, at least I'll be way out in Interlochen most of the week.

ka3kab

do you know what they are doing on Munson ave between garfield and downtown..... they have a bunch of house taped off with yellow tape looks like getting ready to be knocked down?

A little late in replying to this, but today is the first day I've been done that way. One of the houses has been demo'ed and is lying in a pile right now, the other two are just sitting there still with the tape on them. No idea what they are doing to the property though.

It has begun. National Cherry Festival 2007 is in full swing, and as much as I think I'm begining to dislike it, I went down anyway. I had to, I can't become one of these jaded locals who end up becoming a hermit the first full week in July. So, I went down to the airshow. Have to be honest here, if the Blue Angels aren't in it, it's kind of boring. Here are some pics anyway, enjoy.

DSCF0001.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0005.jpg

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0008.jpg

DSCF0009.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0037-1.jpg

DSCF0041-1.jpg

DSCF0055-1.jpg

DSCF0056-1.jpg

post-9015-1183990881_thumb.jpg

Yeah, like he/she said. They will be back next year. As for keeping the economy going, I know it does. It just gets so crowded in this tiny little town, remember it is a very small city even though the locals will have you believe we're only five years away from being as big as Detroit (I swear to God, I have heard people say this). If you get out and go down to the festival it's fun, if you have to sit out and take care of these people, it's a pain in the ass. Just for your information, I work for the DNR at Interlochen State Park just south of Traverse City and it has been a very busy, loud, complaint filled week.

Great, like the Detroiters and Chicagoens weren't bad enough. Now we have to put up with a bunch of New Yorkers. :rofl: Oh, come on now. I'm just kidding. Great article, escpecially if you are a wine person. If you haven't been to any of them and you like wine, you should really check them out. They have come a long way in the past 10 years.

So I did make it down to the Cherry Fest Three times this week, but man, did I not take a lot of pictures. So I'll share what I have, but I didn't get any shots from the Open Space.

Walking down Union Street between Front and the Parkway just before we got dumped on by the rain.

UnionSt.jpg

Hooray for the Carnival. :shok:

MerryGoRound.jpg

Some crazy guy juggling fire and knives and doing it while on a unicycle, all the while talking like a pirate.

FirePirate.jpg

TonsoPeople.jpg

KnifeJuggler.jpg

Saturday night before the fireworks.

FrontStreet2.jpg

FrontStreet.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a couple of articles from the Traverse City Record-Eagle about a couple of the projects intended for west Front St. downtown.

A quick rundown of them is that Federated Properties Michael Uzelak (the Traverse City manager) is leaving the company for reasons not given. The President of the company says that all plans are still a go and that he will be taking over. On the other side of the street, Federated says they are almost ready to break ground and start work on their 4 story mixed-use building with a completion date set for early '08.

TCRE - Uzelak Gone

TCRE - 124 W. Front a go

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I am delurking to post for the first time because I have heard numerous (and completely unrelated) people over the past year refer to Traverse City as "The Stinky Pinky." I can only assume that this is referencing Michigan being 'The Mitten," and it's totally gross; however, I have to admit, curiosity has gotten the best of me (hence this post).

Is there any truth to this nickname? Are there any natives who can verify this? Thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...

Still no progress on Federated's building site that has been cleared. It just sits there empty and fenced off. No news on their other development (the eight story across the street from the above mentioned project). Nothing new to report on about Snoden's two buildings slated for Front and State St. Work is almost finished on the interior of the new downtown branch of the Bank of Northern Michigan (no pictures to post, sorry).

Thought I would update since there has been no activity here for quite some time.