Traverse City

MJLO

The new brick building at the corner of 8th and cass is going to be exit realty. Cambria Suites luxury hotel broke ground on munson, near the college next to best western, which is part of "skipstone crossing" development. Theres a new 2 story log cabin/stone building at the corner of munson and 3 mile thats goin to be The Traverse Bay Bear Co. sportswear, not to exciting but it looks 100 times better then the old run down gas station that was there. Also the grand traverse yacht club on west bay was destroyed by fire a couple weeks ago, they said they will be rebuilding.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The new brick building at the corner of 8th and cass is going to be exit realty. Cambria Suites luxury hotel broke ground on munson, near the college next to best western, which is part of "skipstone crossing" development. Theres a new 2 story log cabin/stone building at the corner of munson and 3 mile thats goin to be The Traverse Bay Bear Co. sportswear, not to exciting but it looks 100 times better then the old run down gas station that was there. Also the grand traverse yacht club on west bay was destroyed by fire a couple weeks ago, they said they will be rebuilding.

thanks for the update sbw600, i was unaware what was going on at those locations. Do you know if they are going to keep some of the old buildings at the skipstone crossing development?

One of our holes in the ground may get filled finally.

1e9b2272.jpg

The area around the red fence is the hole. Last week the city was considering making it into a plaza type park. The owner then sold the property to someone who wants to build a five story mix-use building on it. So hopefully, something will happen. Anything will be better than the hole. As for it's twin on the opposite side of downtown, no idea. Maybe we will have to look at that one for the next five years also.

That would be a nice spot for a 5-story building downtown.

Do you know if the Holiday Inn DT has a high occupancy rate? Are there any chances of another tower like that being a hotel doing downtown in the future?

Also, now that Meijer has been fined $190,000 for their improper dealings is their any feelings that a deal will finally get done for the Acme Meijer to begin construction?

The Holiday Inn does alright I would think. The parking lot always looks pretty full. But did you mean the Park Place? That would be the hotel in the picture. If you did mean that one, than again, I think they do okay. Of course, all of the hotels around town are packed during Cherry Festival and are pretty full for most of summer. It looks like it will be a down year though, what else is new is this wonderful economy. As for chances of another hotel tower popping up downtown, I would like to see it, the area could certainly handle it, but they have a hard enough time opening anything here that it would take ten years if it were proposed today.

As for Meijer; blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. I could care less. I don't shop at Meijer and don't live near Acme or ever really go out that way. Sorry, maybe somebody else will have some insight.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That is about all I saw also. I had to work in Lake Ann the entire week, so I missed everything but the saturday airshow and the end of festival fireworks the next saturday. But, I got my elephant ear, so in my book that is all I need.

• 4 weeks later...

I think everyone has been. Not a whole lot has been going on though, not a big suprise in this sort of economy. There has been some talk of some projects that will probebly never happen because of their location. Someone, I'm not sure who, wants to build a hotel and two condo buildings (all 4 stories) along the Grandview Parkway west of the Harbour View building. Because of its location along the water, it will never happen. So, theres that. None of Snowdens buildings are started, neither are any of the Federated buildings. The new building at 8th and Union is almost finished, and it looks pretty good. The city would like to build a parking deck in the same area for the Hagerty Insurance building employees because they take up almost every available space for 3 blocks. But that is only in talks right now and is already drawing major opposition.

• 2 months later...

It's been 3 Months since a post, so how about an update. Parking deck in old towne (Haggerty Insurance) actualy looks like it will get built sometime next spring. Federated has still not done anything with any of its properties downtown and neither has Snowden Development. The hole in the ground at Front St. and Park is finally getting filled in. A mix-use five story development with retail/commercial on the ground floor, offices of 2-4 and condos/penthouses on 5 with 24 underground parking spaces for the condos. Work should begin in February according to the developer. Other than that, it's been cold and snowing all week and the ski resorts have opened before Thanksgiving for the first time in nearly a decade. Good for them. See ya.

• 2 months later...

Been another 3 months so time for another update.

The parking deck for Hagerty still looks like a go, but hasn't started yet. Apperently, if they don't get the deck, Hagerty says is will move out of state. The project at Park and Front street has started like I said, when I said, so basically it is still a hole in the ground but with people in it, finally. Snowden's developments are still stalled as are the Federated projects, but at least Snowden seems to be moving forward a little. He resubmitted the site plan for W. Front and State St. It still has a parking deck, but the building is slightly smaller. Umm, let's see. Oh, Cherry Capital Airport is the second most expensive airport to fly out of in the country says Forbes, so who knows. It is very expensive though. West Bay froze over for the first time in about 10 years and we should get 6-10 more inches of snow to go along with the 105 inches we've had so far this year. Other than that, still not much going on up here and I can't wait for spring/summer, anything with temps over 50 degrees.

• 10 months later...

I used to work at the Holiday Inn downtown and it was busy most of year.. alot of different groups on the weekends, leaf people, bowlers, salmon fishermen just to name a few

I gotta imagine TC is a quite town this time of year, and wintry and snowy photos of the city?

• 4 months later...

I was just in Traverse City this weekend and it looks like the project on Front/State street is coming along really well.

Is the Hagerty thing still going through?

I saw the Plante Moran building was finished (I was last in town three years ago)

• 2 weeks later...

I was just in Traverse City this weekend and it looks like the project on Front/State street is coming along really well.

Is the Hagerty thing still going through?

I saw the Plante Moran building was finished (I was last in town three years ago)

yeah the old towne parking garage is almost finished and Hagerty is going ahead with expanding and adding more employees

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...