Traverse City

MJLO

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Umm, I think so. The 8 story one is going on the old Ford Dealership property on the south side of Front St. and then the 3 or 4 story one is going on the north side. I'm not real sure where that one is going to be wedged in though. Honestly, I can't remember anything about the smaller building and there hasn't been anything in the news about them in a while.

Also, Wolverine, you can't really see it in any of my pics but there is a really cool 58' corvette right inside the cylinder entrance to Haggerty. In case you didn't know or even wondered :) Haggerty Insurance insures classic cars and boats. If you've ever seen one of those Barret-Jackman car auctions, Haggerty is a sponser and will insure the cars right there at the auction. They have a pretty nice little racket going there. They are spread out among 3 building in downtown and East Bay Twp. I'm not real sure why they don't just build there own space.

Hello again. I though I would share with you guys some of our impressive little homes we have just next to our little downtown. First there are a couple of shots from downtown and what was one the Grand Traverse County Road Commision sand pit. They've turned it into a nice little area with a couple of cafe/deli type places, a surgury center, a bank and then some offices here and there.

This is the surgery center, sorry about the pole ( I didn't even see it :ph34r: ,stealthy little thing)

NicePole.jpg

Kind of a bad angle but you get the idea. The whole area is builings like this. BTW for those of you who know TC, this is on Silver Lake Rd. across from TC West Junior High.

Cloudy.jpg

Downtown TC looking from the hill on whice the above buildings are located.

DowntownTraverseCity3.jpg

Riverview Terrace from behind on the banks of the Boardman.

RiverviewTerrace3.jpg

These two are the old Traverse City Public Library. It finally moved in 1998 and this place was way too small.

OldLibrary.jpg

BackOldLibrary.jpg

And then the Mackinac Brewing Company looking north on Wadsworth St.

MackinawBrew.jpg

This first house is just a random one on 6th Street west of downtown.

6thStreet.jpg

This house, which is no longer a house, used to belong to Perry Hannah. He was a lumber baron from Chicago in the late 1880's and 90's. Now it serves as a funeral home. Kind of a waste IMO.

HannahMansion.jpg

The next two houses are again just random, don't know any history about them. They are also on 6th St.

TraverseMansion.jpg

TCmansion.jpg

This house is pretty tragic. It belonged to an elderly women and her son lived there. He was a little loopy :wacko: He would mow the lawn with a .45 strapped to his hip and the neighbors finally got sick of it and called the police. When they showed up, he ran into the house and barricaded himself and his mother for about 5 or 6 hours. Traverse City PD Sgt. Dennis Finch, who knew the guy, went onto the porch to talk to him. He ran back inside and from inside unloaded a .223 AR-15 Automatic rifle in him. He died the next day. The suspect was shot a couple of times but lived and is now in prison. (Sorry for the rant)

ShootingMansion.jpg

This porch was full of bullet holes for about a year before someone bought the house and fixed it. Last I knew the owners wanted to turn it into a bed and breakfast, but nothing has come of that. BTW this house is on Wellington St. east of downtown.

ShootingMansion2.jpg

God, why do you always know the names of these places and I don't. I thought I lived here. :blush:

Anyway, yes, that's copper ridge. And that picture is from copper ridge, which is right below that subdivision. Do you know the name of that? HA, you don't. J/K :D It's called Foxcraft Estates. Yeah, I've gone sledding there too. The street with the cul-de-sac overlooking the town is where one of my friends lived in high school. Big blue house with giant bay windows in front. Actually, I knew about 6 families that lived there. Back in my high school days (11 years ago) it was the subdivision of Traverse City.

lol, i know it because my cousin lives right near it, on Barnes Road and we went by there a few times.

last time i was there they were putting a subdivision down below that one, behind copper ridgeand i almost ran into the green electrical box thing with a sled,lol

Thanks GRDad,

that hill is kinda leveled off a little, i guess youd call it terraced, kinda, lol. but they shouldve left it at least partially forested.

and, when did you take that pic, ka3kab?

Edited by dtown

It's warming up nicely though. Being as how I'm unemployed and it looks like the only thing available in this town are part-time jobs, I will probebly be posting a lot of articles on some of the smaller towns like the Benzie County one. Anybody have any requests. I'll be on Mackinac Island sometime in July but other than that, let me have it.

It's warming up nicely though. Being as how I'm unemployed and it looks like the only thing available in this town are part-time jobs, I will probebly be posting a lot of articles on some of the smaller towns like the Benzie County one. Anybody have any requests. I'll be on Mackinac Island sometime in July but other than that, let me have it.

I most likely will be going to Mackinac Island in July also. My father and I are going. I don't remember it at all because I haven't been there since I was pretty young but I plan on taking a ton of pictures.

Yeah, it's pretty fun. And unless you're something like 100 years old, I'm sure it hasn't changed much. The last time I was there was like 5 or 6 years ago and I didn't have a digital camera yet. It's funny because I was just going through a box of stuff looking for something and came across a bunch of pictures. No scanner either right now so I couldn't even do it that way.

Edited by Ka3kab

i was just up in traverse city this past weekend, and was amazed at all the shopping they have in their downtown area.

plus it seems along front street towards acme that some of the older hotels are being razed for 4-5 story condos, is tc beginning to boom or is this a slow progress of new condos along the water?

a quick followup, but how high an interest does a city need to have to warrant its own section? it seems there is quite a bit of activity on this thread only for TC.

quick question for those more familiar with traverse city, but i saw that carl levin has an office there, does he live there in the summer? ever even visit or is he originally from the area? or is it just an office for looks type deal.

The condos along East Bay are kind of a new thing. They've just started to do this within the last year or two.

As for the whole section for Traverse City, I don't know. I'm really the only one on this forum who lives here and it's just kind of an off-topic area for things around here.

And then for Carl Levin. I know he visits here quite a bit. I'm not sure if he has a house here or not, but I'm pretty sure that he isn't from here.

there is one development on garfield ave that is kind of a small strip mall that has a stereo store and furniture store thats a ways from the center of town but they have it built up to the street with the parking in back, its awesome, and would hope the concept spreads.

hmmm, that sounds kinda cool. so its right up to the sidewalk?

and for suggestions on places to take pics, it would be really cool if you got another one from the hill in Foxcraft on a nice day. Can you see downtown from up there?

I dont remember because the only time i was up there,it was snowing.

Edited by dtown

i wished i had taken a photo of it, but it was maybe 5-10 minutes on garfield away from the center of town. but yes, it fronted the sidewalk with the parking in back, i was like, can we bring this concept to my town?