Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA)

mcheiss

Sure.

In 1979, lawmakers inacted the Wright Amendment on Dallas Love Field to help support the new Dallas/Ft. Worth International Airport.

The Wright Amendment limits flights to and from Dallas Love Field to only the states of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Mississippi, and Alabama.

If this law is repealed, than Dallas Love Field will be able to fly anywhere in the U.S and Puerto Rico. That means that some flights from Dallas Fort Worth will have to be moved to Dallas Love to compete. Which means flights like from Phoenix to Little Rock may be switched to Phoenix to Dallas Love Field.

That's why flight losses would occur.

There would be no flight losses per se, but just fewer Southwest nonstop destination cities were that to happen. The same number of passengers would be flying, they would just be connecting in Dallas. Of course, that opens up opportunities for other airlines to have direct flights to those destinations.

There would be no flight losses per se, but just fewer Southwest nonstop destination cities were that to happen. The same number of passengers would be flying, they would just be connecting in Dallas. Of course, that opens up opportunities for other airlines to have direct flights to those destinations.

The flights would just be switched to other cities.

The flights would just be switched to other cities.

Exactly, it would probably mean hourly flights to Love Field instead of bihourly with everyone switching flights there. That would be a nice advantage to Southwest as flying American and switching flights at DFW can be a difficult task, especially if you have to switch terminals.

Exactly, it would probably mean hourly flights to Love Field instead of bihourly with everyone switching flights there. That would be a nice advantage to Southwest as flying American and switching flights at DFW can be a difficult task, especially if you have to switch terminals.

This is still going to have an affect on Little Rock more than anywhere else in the state.

I'm not sure how many Southwest Flights Little Rock would loose, but an American Airlines official said Little Rock could loose up to 5 flights daily to DFW!!!

This is still going to have an affect on Little Rock more than anywhere else in the state.

I'm not sure how many Southwest Flights Little Rock would loose, but an American Airlines official said Little Rock could loose up to 5 flights daily to DFW!!!

I don't get it, why would it lose a single flight? Nearly every flight from LR to Dallas is full whether it is on American or Southwest, ending some of the national destinations would just mean those same people would have to go through Dallas at either airport. The number of enplanements would be the same.

I could also see how repealing Wright would keep NWA from getting a discount airline, as Southwest would instantly begin worrying much more about expanding flights from Love nationally and wouldn't add any to smaller regional airports.

I don't get it, why would it lose a single flight? Nearly every flight from LR to Dallas is full whether it is on American or Southwest, ending some of the national destinations would just mean those same people would have to go through Dallas at either airport. The number of enplanements would be the same.

I could also see how repealing Wright would keep NWA from getting a discount airline, as Southwest would instantly begin worrying much more about expanding flights from Love nationally and wouldn't add any to smaller regional airports.

Because American would have to compete with Dallas Love and move some of it's flights to that field. Yet, the airlines may increase airplane sizes on certain flights.

I don't see how this would prevent us from getting a discount airline, because I already know that Southwest will not come to XNA for a good long time. Plenty of discount airlines such as Airtran, Frontier, and Independance Air have all expressed interest in XNA, we just need certain things like more counter space, and gate space. XNA is on it's way to reacing 575,000 Emplaments at the end of the year. I'd say within a few years once our terminal expansions are complete, we will have a low fare airine.

Because American would have to compete with Dallas Love and move some of it's flights to that field. Yet, the airlines may increase airplane sizes on certain flights.

I don't see how this would prevent us from getting a discount airline, because I already know that Southwest will not come to XNA for a good long time. Plenty of discount airlines such as Airtran, Frontier, and Independance Air have all expressed interest in XNA, we just need certain things like more counter space, and gate space. XNA is on it's way to reacing 575,000 Emplaments at the end of the year. I'd say within a few years once our terminal expansions are complete, we will have a low fare airine.

The problem is these other airlines are much, much smaller and aren't really factors in this region of the country. Jet Blue is a desirable airline as well and they just aren't interested in middle America yet.

Southwest is far and away the dominant power in the region. With Independence would you fly all the way to DC to connect anywhere?

The problem is these other airlines are much, much smaller and aren't really factors in this region of the country. Jet Blue is a desirable airline as well and they just aren't interested in middle America yet.

Southwest is far and away the dominant power in the region. With Independence would you fly all the way to DC to connect anywhere?

I'm just stating that's who's been in talk with XNA officials. Southwest will not come to XNA for a while because they have operations in Little Rock, Tulsa, and Kansas City. Jet Blue wouldn't be possible yet, but they could always open up a hub in middle america.

Airtran has flights to Atlanta, which is probably our best option right now.

There's also the US Airways/ America West Merger, where XNA would have options to Philadelphia, Charlotte, Pittsburg, Phoenix, and Las Vegas.

I'm just stating that's who's been in talk with XNA officials. Southwest will not come to XNA for a while because they have operations in Little Rock, Tulsa, and Kansas City. Jet Blue wouldn't be possible yet, but they could always open up a hub in middle america.

Airtran has flights to Atlanta, which is probably our best option right now.

There's also the US Airways/ America West Merger, where XNA would have options to Philadelphia, Charlotte, Pittsburg, Phoenix, and Las Vegas.

Airtran is far and away the best option if they're interested, they're opening a major hub at DFW Int'l.

However, they just agreed to a cooperative agreement with SWA that allows them to use each other's terminals and to transfer from one airline's planes to another in certain instances. I don't know how that would affect things but if this is true having Air Tran would be just as good as having SWA.

It's hard to argue with SWA's logic, they know what they're doing.

One reason flights could be lost is the fact that with a Wright Ammen. repeal, you would have basically no Memphians driving to Little Rock to fly Southwest. I'm not saying Memphians make up a majority of passengers flying SWA out of LIT, but they do make up a considerable percentage of passengers. With no Wright Ammendment and Southwest flying directly to Memphis, a large passenger base for Southwest in Little Rock is gone.

One reason flights could be lost is the fact that with a Wright Ammen. repeal, you would have basically no Memphians driving to Little Rock to fly Southwest. I'm not saying Memphians make up a majority of passengers flying SWA out of LIT, but they do make up a considerable percentage of passengers. With no Wright Ammendment and Southwest flying directly to Memphis, a large passenger base for Southwest in Little Rock is gone.

I heard that busloads of Memphians commute to LR airport because of cheaper flights, which I always thought was weird because it's a Northwest hub. I could see that having an impact.

Why doesn't Memphis have Southwest? Lots of other similar cities do, I would think it would have flights on Southwest with or without the Wright amendment.

I heard that busloads of Memphians commute to LR airport because of cheaper flights, which I always thought was weird because it's a Northwest hub. I could see that having an impact.

Why doesn't Memphis have Southwest? Lots of other similar cities do, I would think it would have flights on Southwest with or without the Wright amendment.

There are a few factors...one is that Northwest apparently threatens to leave Memphis everytime there is a chance of Southwest coming to the airport. The other is that the Wright Amendment won't permit Memphis-Dallas flights...those are, surprisingly, some of the most expensive domestic ticket prices in the country with walk up fares being well above $1000...astonishing even for a legacy carrier. Right now, the big thing is that Tunica may become a secondary Memphis airport with Southwest being an anchor. Otherwise, Memphians are looking forward to JetBlue coming in the Spring.

Well, a food kiosk should be open at XNA by Dec. 1. I know it's not a big accomplishment, but it certainly is an ad antage to XNA. Currently, the food court only consists of a coffee shop, deli, and grill. Now, there will be small amounts of "real" food available for customers.

The kiosk has a range of foods from fruits to drinks and coffee. Air Host spent $165,000 on the food kiosk and will pay $30,000 a year to rent the space.

Well, a food kiosk should be open at XNA by Dec. 1. I know it's not a big accomplishment, but it certainly is an ad antage to XNA. Currently, the food court only consists of a coffee shop, deli, and grill. Now, there will be small amounts of "real" food available for customers.

The kiosk has a range of foods from fruits to drinks and coffee. Air Host spent $165,000 on the food kiosk and will pay $30,000 a year to rent the space.

That sounds great. Like you said not exactly a huge deal but still something nice nonetheless.

That sounds great. Like you said not exactly a huge deal but still something nice nonetheless.

Yeah, they really need to expand to some different food concessions in the future. May'be when we hit 1 Million Emplaments in 5 years we can get something like a Subway, Starbucks, or a sit down restaurant for that matter.

Yeah, they really need to expand to some different food concessions in the future. May'be when we hit 1 Million Emplaments in 5 years we can get something like a Subway, Starbucks, or a sit down restaurant for that matter.

There's a restaurant at Drake Field for that matter here in Fayetteville. Granted it's more a part of the city and not so far off like XNA. But you'd think there could be enough demand to have something like that. If it was closer to the 'turf' I wonder if Arsaga's would consider it. They've gone into Washington Regional Medical Center and the Fayetteville Public Library here.

• 3 weeks later...

^Good work Mith!!

This budget excited me in many ways. For one, they are now taking the idea of a parking garage at XNA a lot more seriously, so it's looking like they are going to build one.

Also, a 13,000 square foot expansion of the Ticket Counter, and an expansion of the security checkpoint. The expansion of the ticket counter should double the counter space.

I can't wait for these to be completed.

^Good work Mith!!

This budget excited me in many ways. For one, they are now taking the idea of a parking garage at XNA a lot more seriously, so it's looking like they are going to build one.

Also, a 13,000 square foot expansion of the Ticket Counter, and an expansion of the security checkpoint. The expansion of the ticket counter should double the counter space.

I can't wait for these to be completed.

Yeah a parking deck would be great. Hopefully all the expansions and improvemnts made next year will really make the whole process run more smoothly.