Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA)

mcheiss

I just wanted to throw this out. There was a time back in the day, FedEx toyed with the idea of a low cost passenger service. They were going to base it outside of Memphis because it was then a Northwest Fortress hub with very few availible gates. Things happened like 911 and the chatter just disappeared. Over the years, there have been combi planes that would have seemed to fit a flex operations, there was a 737 that could change from all containerized cargo to all passenger in a matter of under an hour, a 757 combi, even 747 combi that had reduced seats with added containerized sections above. I only bring this up as Fed Ex seems poised to make a big move into Europe with the buyout of TNT but face a changing landscape at up. Amazon is wanting to expand it's own delivery because they think it would be cheaper. They even went so far this year as to lease out their own air cargo fleet albeit in a hush hush manner. There may come a time an outfit like FedEx sees it's business model evolve and look to new revenue streams. That new CS series from Bombardier has the ability to handle containerized cargo in its belly unlike any other plane of that size. It has an airport in Memphis  now with  dozens and dozens of unused gates and the infrastructure and pilots in place to nearly seemlessly start up a duel operation with Memphis as a hub. Just a thougt. They could fly the planes as all cargo, all passenger or a combi of each. Say they flew flew two or three times a day from XNA to Memphis as a passenger service but used it as a vehicle vehicle to drastically expand same day delivery. An example, Targets new  online fillfillment center is going into Memphis,  I order something on Monday morning, it gets pulled and taken to the Fed Ex facility, it put on an afternoon flight to XNA, goes to FedEx for a early evening  delivery in Rogers.

Bombardier is even optimizing it's Newer Q400 turboprop fleet to be combis. The new Q400 are nearly as fast as regional jets and a flight from here to Memphis would be only 5 to 10 minutes longer.

Pure conjecture but it makes sense if you ask me.

On December 11, 2015 at 8:48 PM, Architect said:

The sunsetting of the Wright Amendment has impacted not just LIT, but OKC, TUL and ABQ, etc.  Enplanements are down on SWA not because of how they are counting fly-throughs, but simply from reduced flights.  SWA went from 6 flights a day to 3 on LIT-DAL, but have since increased that back to 4.  The strange thing is that AA had been using quite a few MD-80's (mainline) on LIT-DFW, but those have been pulled...which is counter to what you would think...that AA would BENEFIT from reduced SWA service.  Very strange.

I'm surprised LIT can't sustain AA mainline.  Or maybe they just have a high frequency of regional jet flights instead..?  I believe Delta is all mainline LIT-ATL (weekends probably excluded).  

7 hours ago, jb1087 said:

I'm surprised LIT can't sustain AA mainline.  Or maybe they just have a high frequency of regional jet flights instead..?  I believe Delta is all mainline LIT-ATL (weekends probably excluded).  

Yes, Delta is pretty much all mainline from LIT.  I can't figure out AA with mainline...it's a fairly short hop to DFW and maybe frequency for business travelers is taking priority over equipment.  Just last year, it was about 3 MD80's and 2 regional jets.  So when SWA dropped from 6 to 3 flights (and now back to 4), you would REALLY think mainline for AA would be assured.  Strange.

• 1 month later...

Hello all - came across this thread while researching flights out of XNA.

I typically fly American for most business travel but recently have been taking the 5:55am direct flight on Delta to Atlanta.  Equipment on this route from XNA to ATL is an MD88 - and while these aircraft are older, they sure offer a comfortable flight.  Flight seems to always be full ...

4 hours ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

2015 data for our states three main commercial airports ...

•LIT:  996,837 enplanements /  -4.29% from previous year

•XNA: 643,320 enplanements / +1.09% from previous year

•FSM: 86,704 enplanments / -7.1% from previous year

XNA tailed off later in the year thus hurting better growth numbers earlier on. Little Rock is losing passengers to Memphis as it transitions into a O&D airport gaining it's own Southwest service after getting dehubbed by Delta. Delta made it very expensive to fly from in the hub days and stomped out all competition.

Didn't realize Fort Smith was so small in number of enplanements.

Decent amount of broken stuff at XNA the other day...down escalator was roped off, one of the baggage carousels was down and the other making a loud screeching noise.  And it looked like they were about to rope off the moving sidewalk.

December was a down month but overall it was another record setting year for XNA with 1.29million people flying in/out of the airport.  

It was mentioned to me that XNA officials are getting closer to landing a discount carrier and gates A2 and A3 in the newer concourse have been set aside for when that time comes.  While I would like to see Southwest Airlines, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Spirit, Frontier or JetBlue is the discount airline that moves into the Northwest Arkansas market first.

The 'down' escalator seems to regularly be out of service ... 

On 2/6/2016 at 9:13 AM, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

It was mentioned to me that XNA officials are getting closer to landing a discount carrier and gates A2 and A3 in the newer concourse have been set aside for when that time comes.  While I would like to see Southwest Airlines, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Spirit, Frontier or JetBlue is the discount airline that moves into the Northwest Arkansas market first.

I'm going put a dollar on Spirit just from the comments of the new CEO, it sounds very like they are going the Allegiant route for growth.

I see a Dallas flight for cheap metroplex flights and connections out west and a south Florida flight for Carribean destinations they serve. 

On February 6, 2016 at 4:17 PM, TRB said:

I was looking to bookend NYC for a Europe trip, shocked on the good side at the fares that popped up for xna

The big three are really competing for the NYC market from XNA.  I have a nonstop on DL in mid-June and it was similarly priced, about $250 after tax.  

$250'ish is a great rate.  

I take the non-stop flights from Northwest Arkansas to New York City fairly regularly ... I have flown both United Airlines into Newark and American Airlines into LaGuardia and from a convenience standpoint have settled on the XNA to LGA route as it puts me on the east side of NYC which is where I need to go. 

1 hour ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

$250'ish is a great rate.  

I take the non-stop flights from Northwest Arkansas to New York City fairly regularly ... I have flown both United Airlines into Newark and American Airlines into LaGuardia and from a convenience standpoint have settled on the XNA to LGA route as it puts me on the east side of NYC which is where I need to go. 

I'm hoping the current fares hold for next summer. I can get to Copenhagen for less than 300 a head on LCC  Norweigian but treat myself to Singapore back to NYC from Frankfurt for 499 a head. That's 800 bucks with the return leg on one of the top airlines in the world.  Plus it's on a A380, I'll have a 747 and that big whale on the Flown It list. When footing the bill for 4, you find the cheapest way to get there.

Edited by TRB
Add

• 2 weeks later...

At the BBV Chamber 'Business Matters' breakfast Friday, an official for XNA stated that the airport is still seeking a low-cost carrier, but also stated they are searching for a freight carrier.  That is the first I have heard the airport is looking to add air cargo into the business mix.  Research confirms XNA is losing 200,000 travelers annually to other airports because of ticket prices ...

On 2/21/2016 at 6:25 PM, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

At the BBV Chamber 'Business Matters' breakfast Friday, an official for XNA stated that the airport is still seeking a low-cost carrier, but also stated they are searching for a freight carrier.  That is the first I have heard the airport is looking to add air cargo into the business mix.  Research confirms XNA is losing 200,000 travelers annually to other airports because of ticket prices ...

I'll repeat it again, XNA's best bet is Spirit. The new CEO comes from the old AirTran. He has already mentioned growth in small to medium sized markets. He was the guy that put AirTran into the private Branson airport and once flew AirTran into Tunica MS before the 08 meltdown. I'd love to a Dallas flight to connect out west and a Miami flight to connect their internarional Destinations. 

They would hurt Allegiant and I could see them picking off their Orlando Sanford flights with actual Orlando International ones and Las Vegas as well. May even see a LA nonstop year round and not seasonally like Allegiant. They fly A319s as well so the equipment would be about the same and I consider them the lesset of the two evils when it comes to those LCCs.

Edited by TRB

9 hours ago, TRB said:

I'll repeat it again, XNA's best bet is Spirit. The new CEO comes from the old AirTran. He has already mentioned growth in small to medium sized markets. He was the guy that put AirTran into the private Branson airport and once flew AirTran into Tunica MS before the 08 meltdown. I'd love to a Dallas flight to connect out west and a Miami flight to connect their internarional Destinations. 

They would hurt Allegiant and I could see them picking off their Orlando Sanford flights with actual Orlando International ones and Las Vegas as well. May even see a LA nonstop year round and not seasonally like Allegiant. They fly A319s as well so the equipment would be about the same and I consider them the lesset of the two evils when it comes to those LCCs.

I agree, and I think Spirit is a lot more likely than Southwest based on business models.  

Saw that number's were down 3% from last Jan. Recent looks at Allegiant prices tell me they are charging more from XNA than they are from other close airports like Little Rock, Springfield and Tulsa.

In other new, KFSM was running a story on Core Brewery opening a bar/tasting room at XNA, hope they are successful.

XNA officials need to find a way to have airlines reduce ticket prices in/out of XNA ... just last week I had a supplier in from Florida and they flew into Little Rock (via Atlanta) and drove to Fayetteville for a meeting.  A few of the folks I work with regularly drive to Ft. Smith when flying to Chicago simply because of the rate difference.

33 minutes ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

XNA officials need to find a way to have airlines reduce ticket prices in/out of XNA ... just last week I had a supplier in from Florida and they flew into Little Rock (via Atlanta) and drove to Fayetteville for a meeting.  A few of the folks I work with regularly drive to Ft. Smith when flying to Chicago simply because of the rate difference

That's why someone other than Allegiant, who just flys targeted markets twice and sometimes three times a week is needed.  Allegiant has been great for those that want to go to Orlando but that's about it. Now, a Spirit, that offers some point to point but also offers lots of connections on a much more frequent schedule at LCC fares would help in spades. Spirit being in Dallas has American dropping prices to protect market share.  

Let's take Atlanta. It's cheaper to connect at ATL going to Orlando than actually just flying to Atlanta. Same goes for Dallas and American under the same senario. Here's a link and look at Airlines and destinations and go down to Spirit and look at their's. They have a growing presence there. Now, if Spirit moved into XNA and offered a twice daily to Atlanta and Dallas(two huge domestic and international hubs) and you could connect to those destinations listed for much less than what is being priced by Delta and American. You would see a market response by the two legacies for the destinations that Spirit offers from those two airports.  That's why I'm rooting for Spirit to come here given their new CEO's recent comments. That flight in economy from Atlanta to XNA would plummet in price. Even with their baggage fees and other LCC shinanagan's, if one does their homework, you can save big money.  

Being from Memphis, I always wants FedEx to start a passenger airline. They thought about it once but it would have been based elsewhere because MEM was dominated by then Northwest and their simply wasn't enough gates. That changed when Delta dehubbed it after the merger where it lied and said it would stay open to gained gov't approval. They are just about ready to pull the plug in Cincy as well. Anyway, back to FedEx. I believe the bulk of their volume here is flown in to Tulsa and trucked in. Same for UPS. With Amazon and online retailers pushing for faster and faster deliveries, I believe they could dramatically increase their same day delivery volume if the coupled rieght with passengers using combi planes and smaller planes like this. 

I'll give an example, Target is putting in a huge online fulfillment center in Memphis. Say I buy a couple of items online on a Sat morning, maybe a new tv, and that could get pulled and taken to MEM and put in the belly of a FedEx passenger plane that's to land at XNA at three, there the passengers get off and the plane taken to the FedEx terminal and then placed on delivery van and they knock on your door by 5. I got to be live there's some reduction of costs availible there for an outfit like FedEx where same day becomes much cheaper and offered much wider than it is now without having to contract thru other airlines services. That would also build up that cargo component that was mentioned at that CoC event. Anyhoo, I think I've ranted on that before. I fly out of XNA on a FedEx plane in the afternoon to Memphis to connect to Knoxville to go to a football game the next day and Walmart can place an online order on that plane and it reach the customer by 7 that night in Jackson MS. They have the infrastructure there, an airports now with dozens on unused gates and likely massive incentives by Tennessee to pull that off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wmr said:

Or, since WMT is trying to compete with Amazon, let them start their own cargo distribution service based at XNA.  Pretty central location in the continental U.S.

Thats an interesting thought - WMT getting into the air cargo biz ... wouldn't rule it out, they are logistics experts.

I wonder if Walmart Aviation will ever move their fleet from Rogers Municipal Airport to XNA ... from what I understand they have a large fleet of 25+ LearJets for domestic flights along with Bombardier Global Express and Challengers that fly international routes from Northwest Arkansas.

22 hours ago, wmr said:

Or, since WMT is trying to compete with Amazon, let them start their own cargo distribution service based at XNA.  Pretty central location in the continental U.S.

I used FedEx, due to the nature of their business and existing infrasteucrure.

In addition to the New Target Online DC in Memphis, their are many more from Mopar parts to Nike to Williams Sonoma to Disney to ATT and on and on. Amazon went out and leased up a bunch of 3rd party planes last Christmas season and did lot of movement on their own, don't think FedEx is not noticing their move to build up their own shipping arm. FedEx can counter by offering a drastically increased same day services via the method I mentioned. They can repeat this at other cargo hubs like Indy and Minny. Hell, they may be the ones to finally pop the Balloon in the metroplex and build their own passenger terminal at Alliance.

Southwest pitched this terminal of their own at old Boeing Field in the early 2000s. Alaska and others threw a fit and demanded that if Southwest left SeaTac, all others could open up at Boeing Field as well and the situation became untenable. They clearly saw a Love Field situation. FedEx could pull off with one the mothballed terminals at MEM with a subterranean road that passed under runways to the cargo hub and Alliance in Fort Worth is a no brainer right along side their cargo ship facilities.

Look, I'm just spitballin' but it just seems to be begging to be done. They wouldn't have to cram every seat they could into the cans because passenger numbers would be the primary focus, just a shared focus. If a route is package heavy, the passenger fares can be really low and have high feequencies while those cargo light can charge reasonable, competitive fares with less frequencies.  It would turn two day shipping into overnight while same day would become the new overnight product. 

Edited by TRB

I don't like the sound of this from the Hollister MO. Mayor:

Ziegenfuss says an upcoming announcement from the Branson Airport will make Hollister connected to the world by commercial aviation in a way that the area has never been before.
http://www.hometowndailynews.com/201...ighlights-the-future-of-hollister/

The new CEO of Spirit is the old CEO of AirTran and he was the one that started AirTran flights from Bass Pro International(BKG). That would bad for XNA's prospects for this LCC.

1 hour ago, TRB said:

I don't like the sound of this from the Hollister MO. Mayor:

Ziegenfuss says an upcoming announcement from the Branson Airport will make Hollister connected to the world by commercial aviation in a way that the area has never been before.
http://www.hometowndailynews.com/201...ighlights-the-future-of-hollister/

The new CEO of Spirit is the old CEO of AirTran and he was the one that started AirTran flights from Bass Pro International(BKG). That would bad for XNA's prospects for this LCC.

Certainly sounds like an impending announcement concerning a new carrier ... I would be surprised if it is Spirit Airlines though.

Considering Southwest Airlines, Buzz Airlines and Frontier Airlines all tried to service the Branson market and each terminated their service within a year or so.  Branson being a popular family vacation destination and all, I'm still not sure the market can put enough 'meat in seats' with the kind of equipment Spirit Airlines flies (Airbus A320) to sustain profitability in/out of (BKG).  I wouldn't be surprised if the announcement is GLO Airlines, the relatively new airline that recently started flights from Little Rock to New Orleans.  GLO Airlines operates 30 seat Turboprop SAAB 340B which seems to fit the Branson market.  On the other hand, the Hollister mayor stating 'connected to the world by commercial aviation' makes it sound like a much bigger announcement.

I personally believe the first low-cost carrier to move into the Northwest Arkansas market will be Frontier Airlines - I have no info to base that on, just purely a hunch.

3 hours ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

Certainly sounds like an impending announcement concerning a new carrier ... I would be surprised if it is Spirit Airlines though.

Considering Southwest Airlines, Buzz Airlines and Frontier Airlines all tried to service the Branson market and each terminated their service within a year or so.  Branson being a popular family vacation destination and all, I'm still not sure the market can put enough 'meat in seats' with the kind of equipment Spirit Airlines flies (Airbus A320) to sustain profitability in/out of (BKG).  I wouldn't be surprised if the announcement is GLO Airlines, the relatively new airline that recently started flights from Little Rock to New Orleans.  GLO Airlines operates 30 seat Turboprop SAAB 340B which seems to fit the Branson market.  On the other hand, the Hollister mayor stating 'connected to the world by commercial aviation' makes it sound like a much bigger announcement.

I personally believe the first low-cost carrier to move into the Northwest Arkansas market will be Frontier Airlines - I have no info to base that on, just purely a hunch.

Slow down, you are giving a false impression of Southwest not making it. Branson simply didn't met there business model and had no intention to caring it forward once the merger was fully complete. I'm sure AirTran used their 717s at Branson. Southwest is a 737 only outfit. They were better than Ft. Smith.  In the first five years the airport was open, Branson Airport (BKG)  had 524,465 enplanements with 342,006 of those being visitors to Branson. AirTran steadily increased the amount of flights it had there. The Frontier Denver flight had just been upgraded to daily, year round based on it's performance when it was bought and the new owners gutted it's Denver operation and going more for point to point and away from connecting there. There's something inherently different when flying a "brand" over self branded scheduled charter flights. It would be even more compelling if 412 was a 4 lane divided all.the way to US 65. I live in east Fayetteville, it's 40 minutes to get to XNA. I can make it 5o that airport in under 1:30hrs. If it was 4 lane divided. That 's maybe 1:10 in travel time. Allegiant flies to Sanford., AirTran flew to MCO. Spirit offers the same package deals with cars and hotels as Allegiant plus MCO has the Disney connection when staying on resort. I love being able to check my luggage at the resort when leaving town. 

The reason I fear it's Spirit is because of that past relationship via AirTran and the the other part of the scuttlebutt is that there would be upwards to 300 possible destinations via connections here's Spirit's route map

route_map.jpg