Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA)

mcheiss

8 hours ago, TRB said:

Slow down, you are giving a false impression of Southwest not making it. Branson simply didn't met there business model and had no intention to caring it forward once the merger was fully complete.

I certainly don't know all the specifics in regards to Southwest Airlines deciding to cease service at Branson Airport, however - quotes like the following lead me to believe the passenger load (profitability of the route) was the main reason ... 

“Unfortunately, the level of local demand no longer allows Southwest to profitably serve these markets” said Bob Jordan, Southwest’s executive vice president and chief commercial officer.  Referencing the decision to pull out of Branson, Key West and Jacksonville.  Source: Branson Tri Lakes News

"If we're not handling 225,000 to 250,000 passengers a year three years down the road, then we'll be in a tough situation" said Steve Peet, Branson Airports Chief Executive Officer in 2009.  Actual enplanements in 2012 was 113,335.  Source: Springfield News Leader

1 hour ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

I certainly don't know all the specifics in regards to Southwest Airlines deciding to cease service at Branson Airport, however - quotes like the following lead me to believe the passenger load (profitability of the route) was the main reason ... 

“Unfortunately, the level of local demand no longer allows Southwest to profitably serve these markets” said Bob Jordan, Southwest’s executive vice president and chief commercial officer.  Referencing the decision to pull out of Branson, Key West and Jacksonville.  Source: Branson Tri Lakes News

"If we're not handling 225,000 to 250,000 passengers a year three years down the road, then we'll be in a tough situation" said Steve Peet, Branson Airports Chief Executive Officer in 2009.  Actual enplanements in 2012 was 113,335.  Source: Springfield News Leader

Like I said, Southwest ditched the 717s, you went from +/- 100seaters to 150+ seaters. A319s are closer to the 717s in size and I think Spirit has a few of those. That article gives you some clues as well, one being 2009. This airport and it's number projections were all based pre recession. It took XNA years to get back to pre recession numbers. Southwest was using some spin as well in other articles they based ditching Key West, Jackson, and Branson one changing business models. Jackson was clearly done in by Southwest in Memphis along with existing footprint in NO. Branson was just to small. Allegiant's fares for Orlando at XNA have gone up since Southwest's Orlando flight went away,  btw.  While the prices we once saw are still seen in LR and Tulsa. The airport, while not meeting it projection numbers, was still the fastest growing airport in the 100,000 to 500,000 range. Using the finances as an excuse when they were improving was kinda lame. If Spirit is the airline, and again it was this CEO that had I would hate but understand it. Here's why

Last year the majors started to compete on price with Spirit. They had finally got their attention. AA in Dallas is a prime example.  AA will offer some Spirit like prices on a few seats on routes Spirit flys. Locals go with hometown AA. Spirit needs to find ways to fill those seats. Spirit's CEO is aware that Around 70 percent of the traffic to the Branson Airport was folks going to and from Branson so you need to only suppliment 30% of traffic originating in  Ranson to achieve near 100% load factors. They see the combined enplanements of XNA and SGF of over a thousand. They see see Allegiant's half dozen destination from SGF. They know that those flights are driving SGF's growth and lots of it are the time share folk, vacationers, and retirees shuttling back and forth. They think, why not split the difference and fly to Branson instead of XNA and/or Springfield. AirTran's numbers were growing and Southwest saw Branson Branson as a tick on an elephant's ass and pinched it after they grabbed AirTran's 737s so their growth into a more legacy like carrier could be expedited. If I can save hundreds by flying my family on vacation to DC or New York out of BKG, I will. And that's the problem still facing XNA, as folks are still doing it by going to Tulsa. But I just have this feeling it's Spirit to Branson and that sucks for XNA if it happens.

Let's hope it's XNA. This announcement was supposed to have happened already, it hasn't. I ain't arguing it anymore. Just don't rule this out. The history and signs are there for the possibility. I can Atlanta, Chicago and Dallas right off the bat with near daily service and weeklies to Orlando International and others added soon after. It'll be all about Marketing and doing it well in NWA.

Interesting perspective for sure ... lets hope Spirit Airlines sees the potential in servicing Northwest Arkansas from XNA.

On another note, there was a Sun Country Airlines 737 at XNA late Saturday ... not sure why - maybe a precautionary landing or press with all the politicians in town or maybe a sports charter - although most of the collegiate charters seem to fly into Drake Field in Fayetteville.

16 hours ago, OzarkSingleSpeed said:

Interesting perspective for sure ... lets hope Spirit Airlines sees the potential in servicing Northwest Arkansas from XNA.

On another note, there was a Sun Country Airlines 737 at XNA late Saturday ... not sure why - maybe a precautionary landing or press with all the politicians in town or maybe a sports charter - although most of the collegiate charters seem to fly into Drake Field in Fayetteville.

IMO, The only thing that keeps from being a no brainer for an outfit like Spirit to fly from there is US 412. If it was near interstate quality all the way to US 65  with a completed bypass of Springdale, making it an easy hour drive to that airport just above the state line, it would really be a sellng point and giving it a major advantage over driving to Tulsa and paying tolls.

If Spirit does come to XNA, I have to wonder if the 3 majors will just lower fares to protect their loyal fliers and market shares. 

I realize this is just a small sample but wanted to share.  I searched two different itineraries on Spirit.  The first in May from LAX-BOS, Spirit offered one option which included one-stop connection that was ~$80 more than multiple non-stop standard service economy seats (so you get free seat selection and regular drinks) on DL from the same airports.  Next, searched an ATL-SAN option in June. This time, Delta offered their "basic" economy where seat selection is limited (though basic drinks are still free) on several different time options that are non-stop for ~$50 less than Spirit.  There were even multiple regular economy options that were the same price as Spirit, all non-stop.  Both examples were for the same dates in the respective months.  

The problem is I don't know which came first, the Delta fares or Spirit.  Regardless, in those two small examples, if you were loyal to Delta or even just a price-conscious shopper, I don't know why you'd pick Spirit.  If the history shows that Delta lowered their fares to compete, then I think it would be a win.  The only caveat would be that Spirit would still need enough fliers that picked their options over the legacies for them to remain in the market as a competitor.  

Edited by jb1087

2 hours ago, jb1087 said:

If Spirit does come to XNA, I have to wonder if the 3 majors will just lower fares to protect their loyal fliers and market shares. 

I realize this is just a small sample but wanted to share.  I searched two different itineraries on Spirit.  The first in May from LAX-BOS, Spirit offered one option which included one-stop connection that was ~$80 more than multiple non-stop standard service economy seats (so you get free seat selection and regular drinks) on DL from the same airports.  Next, searched an ATL-SAN option in June. This time, Delta offered their "basic" economy where seat selection is limited (though basic drinks are still free) on several different time options that are non-stop for ~$50 less than Spirit.  There were even multiple regular economy options that were the same price as Spirit, all non-stop.  Both examples were for the same dates in the respective months.  

The problem is I don't know which came first, the Delta fares or Spirit.  Regardless, in those two small examples, if you were loyal to Delta or even just a price-conscious shopper, I don't know why you'd pick Spirit.  If the history shows that Delta lowered their fares to compete, then I think it would be a win.  The only caveat would be that Spirit would still need enough fliers that picked their options over the legacies for them to remain in the market as a competitor.  

Spirit came first, basic economy is Delta's answer to them. The basic economy fees I've seen do not include seat selection, so there's a good chance a family will be split up. American is offering same type of fares on shared routes with Spirit out of DFW. I have friends that have flown DFW to Tampa to go to Disney. It was cheaper than to MCO and so is the car rental. They even have Spirit sized luggage that CostCo sells. They flew for 240 r/t for 4. It's this retaliatory price matching spurred on by low oil that has Spirit thinking smaller markets to fill those planes at the major markets and take 4h3 fight back to the legacies by eroding their pricing lower at smaller airports. I think it's great the United flys nonstop to San Fran from XNA, but have you priced summer trip of around a week in length, still 450 to 400 bucks for anything, Spirit comes in and offers 1 stops for 250 r/t and watch them react. Spirit moves into Branson they take it to the big boys at two airports. 4he know form their past history that around 70 percent of their traffic is folks going to and from Branson and only 30 percent of the passengers was leaving and coming back to Branson. The Branson Airport, being private, allows them exclusivity on the nonstop destinations they fly. Meaning Delta or any other can't come into that airport and do those routes as a response. Any Branson O&D is gravy and fodder for the fight and thy may figure there's enough potential to pick off from a combined 1,000,000 enplanement market between SGF and XNA. If they see certain demand for markets that would support directs you'll get them as they did with once weeklies to Baltimore and Orlando before Southwest bought out AirTran.

The legacies are playing with fire, many will see those fares and not do their due diligence and expect the same service they got previously and get a shock while low cost carrier flyers get that the fee game is played and learn to play it back. Some complain but you can fly so cheap.

Question , budget minded people planning a week long Disney trip. Mom Dad, and three kids. You are staying on resort by saving money and renting a timeshare from a DVC owners and got you Disney Wilderness Lodge rooms for under 200 bucks a night instead of rhe sale price via Disney that still averages over 250 a night and the perks of multiple fast passes a day along with it and you 1want to use the Disney provided transportation including any checked luggage being forwarded to your resort from MCO and checking it in at the resort when checking out instead of lugging it to the airport because you have three kids. Would you chose Allegiant, either out of XNA or SGF for about 200 or 250 a person R/T but have to fly into Orlando Sanford and miss out on these cough free cough services and pay for checked bags or would you drive to Branson and fly for the same or lower price but into MCO where all that is availible while still paying for checked bags. 

I'm going to Branson. It was a sweeter deal with Southwest cause the checked bags were free but it's still a better way to arrive at Orlando without that perk than Sanford. It's a two hr flight,  buy a soda after security and take it with you and pack a granola bar or something.  

As I have said, it's just conjecture based on past actions and recent statements by the guy that did that past action.

I completely agree with the Spirit logic for the large family vacation and or extremely budget minded people you quoted as well.  I think I just have an unclear picture of how many people use XNA for business vs. leisure and the amount of leakage to other airports in those two different segments.  I would imagine the business side would remain loyal (if prices were extremely close) while the leisure side will (mostly) just go for lowest fare possible.  

17 hours ago, jb1087 said:
17 hours ago, jb1087 said:

It's little stuff like this. http://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/bransons-ballparks-of-america-project-moving-forward 

I thought for sure that was pie in the sky when first announced but there seems to some will find a way. I do know that SDC is looking to build two huge coasters  between now and 2020. They'll announce one this summer. I know they are actively thinking about adding a resort element to the parks as well. They want to be THE PARK between the Rockies and the Mississippi. All of that plays well to an airline and bread abd bitter being leisure travel.  A little league team from Atlanta or Minny with parents and such are plane fillers plus the baggage, oh the baggage.

Edited by TRB

• 2 weeks later...

Plans have been approved to construct a 4-story parking deck at XNA which will include 1,400 parking spaces - this will be followed by a second parking deck to house the rental car companies.

The deck will be built on the western short-term parking lot - seems to me that could have been better planned out by incorporating the parking deck into the terminal structure on the eastern side (in front of concourse A) versus in front of the main terminal.

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, jb1087 said:

Delta has already added a second New York flight in the fall.  Either they're really going after American or the bookings of the first are really strong already....or both.

Lower the prices like they have been and demand will pick up, period. We'll use XNA for sure in the next couple of years for NYC flights either  to fly in early to take advantage of cheaper transatlantic flights or for vacation. 

The rumor is that Delta is about to order some C Series from Bombardier for mainline use. There only a handful of 717s Delta can still buy used and they seem to love the 100 to 120 seater these days.  A CSERIES would be 3x2 seating with 18 and a half inch wide seats and the middle seat of the 3 side being 19 inches. Room for every seat to have a normal sized carry on as well in the overheads. 

Yep, looks like 9:13am and 5:15pm departures. Lined up nicely with the American flight times to the same airport while United has its Jersey flight.

Five total nonstops daily, I would hope one of those would go mainline instead of regional.

This isn't XNA related unless it happens and someone starts a XNA/MEM flight but the CEO of Norweigian Air dropped Memphis, along with New Orleans as potential places for 787 transatlantic flights. This has to be tied to the entrance of Viking River Cruises on the Mississippi River and even ocean cruise out of New Orleans

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/18/reuters-america-interview-update-1-norwegian-air-eyes-more-boeing-dreamliners-for-new-transatlantic-flights.html

On April 19, 2016 at 10:41 AM, TRB said:

This isn't XNA related unless it happens and someone starts a XNA/MEM flight but the CEO of Norweigian Air dropped Memphis, along with New Orleans as potential places for 787 transatlantic flights. This has to be tied to the entrance of Viking River Cruises on the Mississippi River and even ocean cruise out of New Orleans

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/04/18/reuters-america-interview-update-1-norwegian-air-eyes-more-boeing-dreamliners-for-new-transatlantic-flights.html

Hopefully not on any cruises on the MS river :-X.

3 hours ago, jb1087 said:

Hopefully not on any cruises on the MS river :-X.

You have something against the Mississippi? River cruising is booming. Viking has announced plans for 6 vessels at 300 cap each to cruise the Mississippi starting in 2018. Some town s have put extensive worknintontheir river fronts. Although on the Ohio check out what Owensboro KY has done

On April 26, 2016 at 11:51 PM, TRB said:

You have something against the Mississippi? River cruising is booming. Viking has announced plans for 6 vessels at 300 cap each to cruise the Mississippi starting in 2018. Some town s have put extensive worknintontheir river fronts. Although on the Ohio check out what Owensboro KY has done

I don't have anything against the Mississippi River specifically, just shocked if people are coming from other continents to take a cruise on it.

19 minutes ago, jb1087 said:

I don't have anything against the Mississippi River specifically, just shocked if people are coming from other continents to take a cruise on it.

It's exploded in Europe over the past decade. And... here as well. 

Here's the latest entrant:

https://www.frenchamericaline.com/tours

Check out their chronological tour schedule and ask why there's not a single trip up the Arkansas. It's apparent on the other line operators as well.  This is a failure of our state tourism dept.

Edited by TRB

On 4/28/2016 at 9:54 PM, Allen Alexander said:

Hopefully if the river cruises on the Mississippi do well they will consider expanding on the Arkansas. They could do  Tulsa, fort smith, and little rock.

The Delta Queen used to make the Ft. Smith run from time to time.

If you look at these cruise line's Inteneraries, there's usually a theme to them, like a StL to Louisville journey that makes stops along the Ohio and they tour Bourbon distilleries and so on.

Off the top of my head, Little Rock with the Clinton Museum and other stuff, Ozark with it's nearby cottage wine industry, and Ft. Smith/Van Buren and it's future US Marshall's Museum and the lore of the Hanging Judge would make nice stops. Add in a connecting rail trip via the excursion train to Northwest Arkansas with all it has like Crystal Bridges and you have a great terminususing XNA. You could help support a small operation like GLO and allow them to offer direct flights to Memphis and New Orleans where the trip would have began. NWA/Ft. Smith can also be a point of departure for a trip back to those two major ports .

• Like 1

While I'm pulling for XNA, I fear the CEO will land at BKG,and split the difference between XNA and SGF along with Branson traffic just as he did with AirTran:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2016/04/why-spirit-airlines-wants-to-fly-to-smaller-cities.html/

Yet as the Florida-based carrier grows from its fleet of 83 aircraft to 148 by 2022, it will need medium and small cities with leisure travelers—or potential leisure travelers, if the price is right to spur them to take a trip. That could mean service to places with a leisure-travel focus and airfares that can be high, cities such as Springfield-Branson, Mo.; Reno, Nev.; Colorado Springs; and Monterey, Calif.

If I'm reading correctly one of the charter airlines that's been servicing Branson since Southwest and Frontier pulled out has actually gained it's scheduled carrier permitting as full fledged commercial airline and going daily out of Branson to United hubs:

http://www.explorebranson.com/news/new-nationwide-air-service-coming-branson#sthash.cNhht3Za.dpuf

Edited by TRB

• 3 weeks later...
On May 30, 2016 at 2:39 PM, burnz34 said:

Where did you find this information? 

It was on airliner.net's weekly route update on Sunday, though some have been questioning if it (and other United updates) were errors in the reporting.  I guess they have more issues than other airlines in filing the information.

• 3 weeks later...