Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA)

mcheiss

More good news for the airport. Orlando is back on as a destination with Orlando. However, only one flight will be offered per week onboard an Embaer 135.

The Nonstop Destination list is now:

Atlanta

Charlotte

Chicago O'Hare

Cincinnati

Dallas/Ft. Worth

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Los Angeles

Memphis

Miami (Started This Year)

Minneapolis/St. Paul

New York Laguardia

Newark

Orlando (Starts June 6th)

St. Lake City

St. Louis

Washington D.C. (Starts Sept. 9th)

That is great. I love our airport. I think it's super. The only request I have is for better food out there.

More good news for the airport. Orlando is back on as a destination with Orlando. However, only one flight will be offered per week onboard an Embaer 135.

Atlanta

Charlotte

Chicago O'Hare

Cincinnati

Dallas/Ft. Worth

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Los Angeles

Memphis

Minneapolis/St. Paul

New York Laguardia

Newark

St. Lake City

St. Louis

Is this flight going to be with delta again? I searched delta's website and they dont have anything for the 6th.

Is this flight going to be with delta again? I searched delta's website and they dont have anything for the 6th.

Go to the website of Orlando International Airport under New Flights and it's on there. I may be off on the date, but I remember checking Delta and seeing the flight. It's only once a week which is a shame, but it's still a flight to Orlando.

Well as stated here first by another member, Washington is indeed a flight. American Eagle. In the Arkansas DG website.

We beat out LR for it, too!

Yes it will fly everyday except Sunday.

Even more good news is that American will be adding more flights to pre-existing locations.

New York Laguardia will be increased from two daily fights to three daily flights.

Los Angeles International will be increased from one daily flight to two daily fights.

Good to see so much positive news for XNA. It's been a while since they've added this many flights in a short amount of time.

Could someone please explain why a roundtrip ticket through American Airlines from LIT to DFW is $200 cheaper than an American Airlines ticket from XNA to DFW?

I know they can jack prices at XNA because of the business and everything, but 200 bucks?!?!?!?

Could someone please explain why a roundtrip ticket through American Airlines from LIT to DFW is $200 cheaper than an American Airlines ticket from XNA to DFW?

I know they can jack prices at XNA because of the business and everything, but 200 bucks?!?!?!?

One reason is that there isn't a low fare airline to help bring down prices of other airlines. Little rock has two (Frontier Airlines and Southwest Airlines) while XNA has none.

Because they have the attitude that if you don't like it you can just drive yourself to Little Rock or Tulsa and it wouldn't bother them one little bit. Either way American Airlines will get their money.

Because they have the attitude that if you don't like it you can just drive yourself to Little Rock or Tulsa and it wouldn't bother them one little bit. Either way American Airlines will get their money.

Remember that the airport isn't that old and the airlines have to pay off their FBO fees. I'm sure prices will decline over the years. I remember a few years back when a round trip ticket on US Airways to Charlotte was over a $1,000 but is now only about $400.

One reason is that there isn't a low fare airline to help bring down prices of other airlines. Little rock has two (Frontier Airlines and Southwest Airlines) while XNA has none.

That is a good point. I thought about that, but I wasn't sure that would make a $200 difference.

If/When XNA lands a low cost carrier, how many flights do you think we'll lose offered by American?

That is a good point. I thought about that, but I wasn't sure that would make a $200 difference.

If/When XNA lands a low cost carrier, how many flights do you think we'll lose offered by American?

None. A low cost carrier would be taking traffic away from places like Tulsa and Little Rock that already have low fare airlines in place. American would not loose any flights but would lower their costs to compete with this low fare airline and tap into this new market.

Atlanta

Charlotte

Chicago O'Hare

Cincinnati

Dallas/Ft. Worth

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Los Angeles

Memphis

Minneapolis/St. Paul

New York Laguardia

Newark

St. Lake City

St. Louis

Matt, if one were to view Little Rock National airport and XNA simultaneously it would be easy to think I'm joking (and indeed, LRN served about 1.2 million folks last year vs. about 600,000 for XNA) but...given your "Orlando" news...

According to yesterday's Demo-zette, Little Rock National now serves 18 cities.

That means XNA is now going to have flights to as many cities as Little Rock's airport now does.

Wild...

Alert: :offtopic:

I'm a student at the UofA right now, and I finally found me a summer job -- Station Agent for American Airlines at XNA.

So you guys better be careful and keep me happy, or I'll have to send your luggage 3000 miles in the wrong direction. :shades:

Matt, if one were to view Little Rock National airport and XNA simultaneously it would be easy to think I'm joking (and indeed, LRN served about 1.2 million folks last year vs. about 600,000 for XNA) but...given your "Orlando" news...

According to yesterday's Demo-zette, Little Rock National now serves 18 cities.

That means XNA is now going to have flights to as many cities as Little Rock's airport now does.

Wild...

The big difference in the two is that LIT is more of a mainline airport while XNA is still heavily reliant on regionals to do their flying. That would be the only difference here. Outside of that, the list is VERY impressive for a market your size! I can't think of another city in the south that could be classified with XNA's market catchment that has that many non-stop destinations. Very nice indeed.

• 4 weeks later...

This article reports that the airport board is looking at splitting up the access road into two phases. The first will be a 2 lane road to highway 112 with enough rightaway bought for a 4 lane divided highway with controlled access. Looks like they want to get started but wait to build the rest of the road until a regional mobilty authority is in place. That may be the only way a 412 northern bypass ever gets built.

Access Road article

None. A low cost carrier would be taking traffic away from places like Tulsa and Little Rock that already have low fare airlines in place. American would not loose any flights but would lower their costs to compete with this low fare airline and tap into this new market.

I have to respectfully disagree. You can't have a competing airline come in serving the same markets tapping a finite (albeit growing) passenger base, all while charging $200 less, and there be no changes. Absolutely you will lose service! You can't just lower the ticket price without giving something up. You will likely lose service points, not to mention equipment. It would be a good bet that you could kiss mainline service goodbye at a minimum.

American got hammered in LR by a relentless onslaught of service by SWA serving the same markets of DFW, Chicago and St. Louis. The same would happen in XNA. By the way, if (when) a low-fare carrier serves XNA, I agree it would impact Tulsa tremendously. Little Rock? Not so much.

I have to respectfully disagree. You can't have a competing airline come in serving the same markets tapping a finite (albeit growing) passenger base, all while charging $200 less, and there be no changes. Absolutely you will lose service! You can't just lower the ticket price without giving something up. You will likely lose service points, not to mention equipment. It would be a good bet that you could kiss mainline service goodbye at a minimum.

American got hammered in LR by a relentless onslaught of service by SWA serving the same markets of DFW, Chicago and St. Louis. The same would happen in XNA. By the way, if (when) a low-fare carrier serves XNA, I agree it would impact Tulsa tremendously. Little Rock? Not so much.

You'd be suprised at the number of people that drive to Little Rock for a flight on Southwest from XNA. I admit most go to Tulsa but Little Rock isn't completely left out. Besides I doubt XNA would loose any flights if a low cost air carrier came into the market since XNA is mainly a business airport at the moment. A low cost carrier would appeal to leisure travelers.

You'd be suprised at the number of people that drive to Little Rock for a flight on Southwest from XNA. I admit most go to Tulsa but Little Rock isn't completely left out. Besides I doubt XNA would loose any flights if a low cost air carrier came into the market since XNA is mainly a business airport at the moment. A low cost carrier would appeal to leisure travelers.

Yes, it is quite true that when a low-cost carrier enters the market, total boardings rise signfiicantly because it can appeal to a broader market. I just can't see that this won't affect other carriers, particularly American since they are so entrenched. But even business traffic is susceptible to low-cost carriers...you'd be surprised how many business travelers fly the "orange bird"...they're looking to save money too!

Yes, it is quite true that when a low-cost carrier enters the market, total boardings rise signfiicantly because it can appeal to a broader market. I just can't see that this won't affect other carriers, particularly American since they are so entrenched. But even business traffic is susceptible to low-cost carriers...you'd be surprised how many business travelers fly the "orange bird"...they're looking to save money too!

Not Wal-Mart my friend. Wal-Mart stays away from most low cost carriers (suprisingly). American is the choice for WM and Delta is usually second.

Not Wal-Mart my friend. Wal-Mart stays away from most low cost carriers (suprisingly). American is the choice for WM and Delta is usually second.

There are no low cost carriers at XNA, so what choice would they have? Certainly, they've negotiated fares with AA.

Well, today was my first day working with American Airlines out at XNA, and throughout the day I was able to find out a few little things here and there.

Some of these things might have already been posted, I didn't check:

The next direct flight they are hoping to add (besides DCA which starts in September) will be to RDU (Raleigh-Durham International) which they hope to have in place by December.

This September, along with the new DCA flight, they will be adding additional flights to LaGuardia, Chicago, and LA.

The new concourse is in the planning process.

And they hope to have another runway under construction within the next 10 years (a little surprised by this one).

American is also in the process of hiring 40 additional workers to handle current traffic, and future traffic created by more flights.

--

This is just American Airlines/American Eagle. I don't know about the other airlines and what they are planning.

If you guys want me to ask anything, I'd be more than happy to.