Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA)

mcheiss

Thanks for the info Sammy. Could you find out when ANY of the airlines will have a direct flight to Las Vegas? I really think this flight is long overdue. I am glad they are considering Raleigh/Durham as well. In a couple of years, we will be probably the smallest metro with as many direct flights as many major metros. That is absolutely amazing.

The next direct flight they are hoping to add (besides DCA which starts in September) will be to RDU (Raleigh-Durham International) which they hope to have in place by December.

Why? You can't connect to anywhere from there. Unless you are going to London-Gatwick, there really is no reason for RDU to be on their radar. Unless it's a subsidized flight by Wal-Mart.

Why? You can't connect to anywhere from there. Unless you are going to London-Gatwick, there really is no reason for RDU to be on their radar. Unless it's a subsidized flight by Wal-Mart.

Exactly my thoughts. There's no huge Wal-Mart operations or Vendor operations in RDU that I know of. Raleigh will be an extremly unpopular flight. We don't want another Cleveland at XNA!!

Thanks for the info Sammy. Could you find out when ANY of the airlines will have a direct flight to Las Vegas? I really think this flight is long overdue. I am glad they are considering Raleigh/Durham as well. In a couple of years, we will be probably the smallest metro with as many direct flights as many major metros. That is absolutely amazing.

Yeah, I'll ask them about that, I was kind of wondering the same thing.

I was actually talking to a flight attendant today, and I asked her if she enjoyed visiting our airport and how it compared with others.

And, of course, she said it was small, but she also said that she could not believe how busy it was and how many direct flights we had. She said she had never been to an airport as small as ours that serves as many people and destinations.

Exactly my thoughts. There's no huge Wal-Mart operations or Vendor operations in RDU that I know of. Raleigh will be an extremly unpopular flight. We don't want another Cleveland at XNA!!

I couldn't tell you.

I was thinking you guys could help it make sense to me.

Talked to the head American Airlines guy at XNA today about future flights:

Raleigh/Durham will be next, if everything goes to plan.

And "most likely" Boston or Las Vegas will be after that.

I was very surprised today to see how many people flyout out of XNA with Boston as there final destination.

Sammy, thanks for asking. That is incredible news. Great to hear that these are going to be added. I still don't understand Raleigh/Durham unless its because its Research Triangle and there are some technology companies interested in Walmart. Boston is also a breath of fresh air too. I wonder why so many people would be flying to Boston. I know their Airport is pretty big.

Talked to the head American Airlines guy at XNA today about future flights:

Raleigh/Durham will be next, if everything goes to plan.

And "most likely" Boston or Las Vegas will be after that.

I was very surprised today to see how many people flyout out of XNA with Boston as there final destination.

I can see both of those added in time. It would be extremly weird to see them on American (At least Las Vegas). Phoenix and Philadelphia are both cities desperately needed at XNA as well.

He didn't give a time frame for Boston or Las Vegas.

Even if AA does want to add a flight to LV, I think someone will beat them to the punch.

Sounded like it was in line after Boston.

He also didn't say Boston and LV definitively. Just tossed those two out there as possibilities.

I also asked him if the airport would be adding a low cost carrier soon, and of course, being an AA guy, he gave me a shrugg of the shoulders.

---

Also, the guy that is training me seems to be extremely worried about available space for flights in the future. Said he is worried about the airport being too small after September, which is when they will add another flight to Chicago, LaGuardia, and LA, along with the new DCA flight. He said the new concourse can't get done soon enough.

I don't know if he is overreacting, or if it's reality.

---

If you guys were wondering, I'm a junior at the UofA right now, and just began working part-time as a Station Agent for AA.

Here's the full article, albeit from an anti-Walmart site. It's the only non-pay site I could find with the full

text available.

http://walmartwatch.com/blog/archives/flyi...a_pretty_penny/

Thanks for that whole article. Although it's funny how this also seems to be Wal-mart's fault. I'm still waiting for an article telling us how the Iraq war its Wal-mart's fault as well. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that whole article. Although it's funny how this also seems to be Wal-mart's fault. I'm still waiting for an article telling us how the Iraq war its Wal-mart's fault as well. :rolleyes:

Ironically most of my flights out of NWA have been cheaper than surrounding airports, but that probably is because of where I go. However, if they get the Raleigh-Durham flight that will be bad for me because it will probably drive up the price of my flight. It was always funny for me to fly through Charlotte to get to XNA from RDU. A direct flight from Charlotte would be $150-300 more than flying from RDU connecting through Charlotte to XNA.

Ironically most of my flights out of NWA have been cheaper than surrounding airports, but that probably is because of where I go. However, if they get the Raleigh-Durham flight that will be bad for me because it will probably drive up the price of my flight. It was always funny for me to fly through Charlotte to get to XNA from RDU. A direct flight from Charlotte would be $150-300 more than flying from RDU connecting through Charlotte to XNA.

I've seen the exact same thing before. While planning a trip to Orlando (not DisneyWorld, family on the Atlantic coast) we flew through Dallas. The trip was cheaper than a flight from just XNA to Dallas. Rather obvious price gouging going on in my opinion. Some of the direct flights aren't that bad, the Newark flight has been very economical as has the Cincinnati and Houston flights, but some of the other flights are out in left field.

Not sure if anybody saw it but yesterday American Eagle announced that they were going to start nonstop service from XNA to Raleigh-Durham. Service starts November 4th. Here is a link for more information.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...923072007-1.htm

So (if indeed Orlando is again going to be accessible from XNA) that makes it official? XNA now has flights to more destinations at this time than Little Rock National does?

Here's a wild thing...Wichita (home of the nation's 67th largest television DMA compared to XNA's102 ranking, and home for the last year to NWA's new Texas League baseball team) Mid-Continent airport has flights to, as I recall, 10 destinations at this point in time.

I could definitely see Boston and Las Vegas next. I can't wait to see the first international flight. I could definitely see one to Mexico City or Canada in the future. I think China or London are still a long ways away.

I think International flights (Canada & Mexico) are atleast 10 years off if that. I still can't ever see places like London adding a nonstop flight to XNA. Seems its cheaper to do it in much bigger cities that have larger infastrucutres, hub structuring, long runways, etc.

I still can't believe that Raleigh Durham is going to be added. AA Officials better be making sure to get travelers from Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Columbus, etc to book this flight. I guess I can see Raleigh acting as a small hub for XNA to channel east coast traffic. Still seems really odd though to have Raleigh as a city.

XNA Destinations: 19 Cities

Atlanta

Charlotte

Chicago O'Hare

Cincinnati

Dallas/Ft. Worth

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Los Angeles

Memphis

Miami (Started This Year)

Minneapolis/St. Paul

New York Laguardia

Newark

Orlando (Started June 6th)

Raleigh-Durham (Starts Nov.

St. Lake City

St. Louis

Washington D.C. (Starts Sept. 9th)

Little Rock National: 19 Cities

Atlanta

Baltimore/Washington D.C.

Charlotte

Chicago - O'Hare, Midway

Cincinnati

Dallas Ft. Worth, Love

Denver

Detroit

Houston Intercontinental, Hobby

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Memphis

Minneapolis/St. Paul

Newark

Orlando

Phoenix

Salt Lake City

St. Louis

Washington D.C. Dulles

Both LIT and XNA serve 19 Cities, but LIT still serves more airports since Southwest flies to Hobby, Love Field, and Midway.

I honestly don't know how many more cities XNA can handle before more gates are added.

We have planes sit on the runway for 20 minutes sometimes because there is nowhere to put it.

AA/AE has gotten to where they will park two planes at one gate and just have the passengers walk up to it.

They need to get that new concourse going, because they need it as soon as possible.

Is it true the concourse will provide a total of 12 actual gates when finished ?

I've heard conflicting reports on that...

Edited by Sammy00