Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA)

mcheiss

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

That's great that American Eagle is moving their Bangor, ME maintenance facility to NWA. Its things like this that keep adding to NWA's diversity as we will have 50 new families moving here from a New England state. As we get more families from other parts of the country demand goes up for more family-oriented amenities, which is always lacking in NWA. I'm sure these people are pretty nervous about moving from Bangor, ME to Northwest Arkansas, but at least they will find Fayetteville to be very similar to their former home, while they may be tempted to turn around when their first glimpse of NWA is Bentonville.

You know, some people are not turned off by Bentonville and Rogers.

And, by the way, I grew up in Chicagoland around Hispanic families, including some of our best friends. I live in SW Rogers because of convenience, but `i have no trouble with neighbors of any type so long as they are respectful and keep their homes decent.

Some of us are not as prejudiced as you think.

Let's just cheer the new arrivals

You know, some people are not turned off by Bentonville and Rogers.

And, by the way, I grew up in Chicagoland around Hispanic families, including some of our best friends. I live in SW Rogers because of convenience, but `i have no trouble with neighbors of any type so long as they are respectful and keep their homes decent.

Some of us are not as prejudiced as you think.

Let's just cheer the new arrivals

Did I miss something? I didn't even hint about prejudism so I really don't know where your comments are coming from. I'm referring to people moving from Bangor, ME; a town very similar to Fayetteville, and finding themselves surrounded by farmland and 30 miles from the nearest sign of urban life that they're used to.

If you're commenting about another post I made then please find the topic its under and comment there and not just anywhere.

That's great that American Eagle is moving their Bangor, ME maintenance facility to NWA. Its things like this that keep adding to NWA's diversity as we will have 50 new families moving here from a New England state. As we get more families from other parts of the country demand goes up for more family-oriented amenities, which is always lacking in NWA. I'm sure these people are pretty nervous about moving from Bangor, ME to Northwest Arkansas, but at least they will find Fayetteville to be very similar to their former home, while they may be tempted to turn around when their first glimpse of NWA is Bentonville.

Actually I think NWA as a whole will be a big step up for someone coming from Bangor. The city's population is only 31,473 according to wikipedia. From the pictures on wikipedia it seems like the town has more of an urban feel than towns of a similar size, but I think this is probably related to the fact that the city is so much older (incorporated in 1834) than most towns and its infrastructure was developed before the advent of the automobile (which would cause the city to be more densely populated).

• 2 months later...

Another month , another record at XNA - 51,000+ passengers in November 2007.

More destinations, more flights, more enplanements...

I expect that has more to do with the holidays than anything else and with so many people moving to NWA every month there are a lot more people flying home for the holidays.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Sad news in the Dem-Gaz yesterday.

AA is dropping service to Miami and Raleigh.

Delta is also dropping Salt Lake City (if I remember correctly).

I worked for AA at the airport last summer (I'm a UA student) and the loss of Miami surprises me a bit. They seemed to do well when I was there.

Delta dropping SLC surprises me a bit as well. They now don't offer anything west of Cincy.

Sad news in the Dem-Gaz yesterday.

AA is dropping service to Miami and Raleigh.

Delta is also dropping Salt Lake City (if I remember correctly).

I worked for AA at the airport last summer (I'm a UA student) and the loss of Miami surprises me a bit. They seemed to do well when I was there.

Delta dropping SLC surprises me a bit as well. They now don't offer anything west of Cincy.

Yeah, but some of it has to do with the current climate, high fuel costs and a slower economic market, meaning a lot of airlines are looking for ways to cut back. Two small airlines just went out of business the past couple of weeks.

Yeah, but some of it has to do with the current climate, high fuel costs and a slower economic market, meaning a lot of airlines are looking for ways to cut back. Two small airlines just went out of business the past couple of weeks.

AA specifically stated that there was little interest (i.e. low traffic) on these routes. Fuel costs didn't help though.

AA specifically stated that there was little interest (i.e. low traffic) on these routes. Fuel costs didn't help though.

True, and maybe things dropped off. But Sammy worked there for a while and said there seemed to be demand for the Miami flight while he was there. So maybe things dropped off since then. But it also sounds like something an airline would say too. They probably aren't going to come out and say we're having financial problems so we have to cut back unless they really have to.

Yes, Miami did well when I was there. However, it was a brand new route, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Never saw Raleigh being successful.

I thought they would add Seattle or Boston before Raleigh because we had far more luggage to those places than any other destination without a direct route.

Architect, I was not trying to somehow indirectly say that XNA is better than LIT, which seems to be how you took it.

• 6 months later...

Apparently, American Eagle is canceling XNA-LAX service beginning in April.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/g...s=xna#ID4198302

I browse Airliners.net periodically and noticed that this hadn't been mentioned in this forum. Anyway, that is unfortunate...I thought the loads were fairly high.

Thanks for the update, even if it is bad news. I hadn't heard anything about it yet.

That is odd they canceled the LAX flight out of XNA, I thought it was doing well myself. Im sure its the economy that propelled the decision. I take it that XNA is still doing well though. I also wanted to point out to some that might not know, Branson is currently building the first privately funded commercial airport in US history. They have stated that a low cost airline will be flying out of there, but the details are not yet known. Of the 8 million visitors Branson has every year, 5.3 million come from beyond a 300 mile radius. I wonder if they get Southwest to fly out of Bransons major advertisement markets like Chicago, Dallas, Memphis, OKC... what that would do to SGF or XNA. Im sure it would'nt have much of an effect on either airports but the thought still remains for me. I guess all I can do is wait. BTW if you haven't visited the SGF airport website, you should check out the new terminal thats almost done up here. It's nice!

www.flyspringfield.com www.flybranson.com

That is odd they canceled the LAX flight out of XNA, I thought it was doing well myself. Im sure its the economy that propelled the decision. I take it that XNA is still doing well though. I also wanted to point out to some that might not know, Branson is currently building the first privately funded commercial airport in US history. They have stated that a low cost airline will be flying out of there, but the details are not yet known. Of the 8 million visitors Branson has every year, 5.3 million come from beyond a 300 mile radius. I wonder if they get Southwest to fly out of Bransons major advertisement markets like Chicago, Dallas, Memphis, OKC... what that would do to SGF or XNA. Im sure it would'nt have much of an effect on either airports but the thought still remains for me. I guess all I can do is wait. BTW if you haven't visited the SGF airport website, you should check out the new terminal thats almost done up here. It's nice!

www.flyspringfield.com www.flybranson.com

I knew Springfield was building a new terminal and had heard about Branson also pursuing a new airport...which begs the question WHY in the world would that area need two airports competing with one another?!!! Goodness, what a waste.

Also, I had been told that the vast majority of visitors to Branson are not of the flying persuasion. No surprise there, yet this further undermines the viability of this...

Note: I seriously doubt Branson, and even Springfield could land SouthWest. XNA is a much higher probability in my opinion.

I knew Springfield was building a new terminal and had heard about Branson also pursuing a new airport...which begs the question WHY in the world would that area need two airports competing with one another?!!! Goodness, what a waste.

Also, I had been told that the vast majority of visitors to Branson are not of the flying persuasion. No surprise there, yet this further undermines the viability of this...

Note: I seriously doubt Branson, and even Springfield could land SouthWest. XNA is a much higher probability in my opinion.

Alot of us thought they should just build the new terminal between Springfield and Branson, but the topography was not something they could really work with, let alone the cost of doing that.

Even though the study Branson did found 5.3 million people come from over a 300 mile radius, they came to the conclusion that even if only 15% of the 5.3 million flew to Branson, that would still be a whopping 780,000 passengers right off the bat. That is also not inlcuding the people they would draw in by adding the flight to those cities.

Now for those of you that still think Branson is a cesspool for broke, old, toothless, farts, please refrain from commenting as it is obvious that you dont know what your talking about. Yes, it is true that you will find the occasional "hick" in Branson, but the average person to visit Branson is your normal suburban family. We are in the 21st century now and Branson is right there with everyone else. Gee I wonder who would fill all of those exspensive condo rentals, maybe those old broke farts right? Give me a break.

Sorry for going off topic, but I sick of hearing this stupid pathetic BS about Branson. And no, I'm not in love with Branson.

Southwest flies to Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, and Amarillo TX which aren't huge cities, but SW also started in Texas. These cities also have a lot of connections to SWs Dallas "hub" and service a decent population base that is pretty spread out. Other than that, SW really doesn't service a quite a few places that would be more obvious targets than either NWA or Branson (like Memphis, Minneapolis, Atlanta, or Cinncinnati).

^and again, I never should have mentioned the name "Southwest." Talking about low cost airlines... I've always wondered why aligient doesn't fly out of XNA. Aligient just added Pheonix to Springfield in October making that 5 destinations from Springfield on Aligient. While other airlines are doing bad in the current economic crisis, Aligient's flights out of Springfield are growing to which is why they added the Pheonix flight. I just wonder when the idiots heading up the airlines are gonna pull their heads from where the light don't shine and use their brains. Now I know with the current economic crisis, getting new flights is something out of the ordinary but when the economy rebounds, I hope we will see a new light in the airline industry.