Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA)

mcheiss

Southwest flies to Midland/Odessa, Lubbock, and Amarillo TX which aren't huge cities, but SW also started in Texas. These cities also have a lot of connections to SWs Dallas "hub" and service a decent population base that is pretty spread out. Other than that, SW really doesn't service a quite a few places that would be more obvious targets than either NWA or Branson (like Memphis, Minneapolis, Atlanta, or Cinncinnati).

Good point.

• 3 months later...

Looks like we're losing our daily flight to Los Angeles now. It was our last direct flight to the West Coast. Not sure if this is economy related.

What! Thats shocking, was the flight daily, weekly...? Allgient just announced a week ago that Springfield will get a direct flight to LAX starting in May when the new terminal opens. Then you have Branson that just announced direct fligtst to Milwaukee and Atlanta starting in May as well. I just don't understand why Alligient or Airtran aren't flying out of XNA yet. Are there any other low cost airlines out of XNA?

What! Thats shocking, was the flight daily, weekly...? Allgient just announced a week ago that Springfield will get a direct flight to LAX starting in May when the new terminal opens. Then you have Branson that just announced direct fligtst to Milwaukee and Atlanta starting in May as well. I just don't understand why Alligient or Airtran aren't flying out of XNA yet. Are there any other low cost airlines out of XNA?

I did mention it was daily on the original post. :D The article I had read mentioned that Branson was picking up a Los Angeles flight just a month after we're losing ours. But it also mentioned the Branson to LA flight was a scheduled charter not a daily flight.

I did mention it was daily on the original post. :D The article I had read mentioned that Branson was picking up a Los Angeles flight just a month after we're losing ours. But it also mentioned the Branson to LA flight was a scheduled charter not a daily flight.

It's actually Springfield getting the LAX flight, Branson has Atlanta and Millwaukee. I'm glad that SGF will only have 4 scheduled flights a week, that way we don't get in over our heads. I'm sure it will be a huge hit since round trip tickets are only $220.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today Alligient Airlines announced that they will be bringing nonstop flights from XNA to LAX. The twice a week flights will take place on Mondays and Fridays.

I bet XNA will soon have many other destinations from Alligient.

Today, Branson Airport announced that Minneapolis will be the next destination to the entertainment meca with another to be announced next week. So far, Branson has four nonstop/low-cost carries with more to come. This is going to create great competition between Springfield and Branson which will in turn lower the cost of flights out of Springfield.

This is going to create great competition between Springfield and Branson which will in turn lower the cost of flights out of Springfield.

A market the size of Springfield doesn't need competition. I can't see any benefit whatsoever for improved service - if it's cost, it seems that would be short lived before someone (quickly) calls "uncle!" I just don't understand the logic (or should we say business case since it was privately developed) with developing two airports within 50 miles of each other.

A market the size of Springfield doesn't need competition. I can't see any benefit whatsoever for improved service - if it's cost, it seems that would be short lived before someone (quickly) calls "uncle!" I just don't understand the logic (or should we say business case since it was privately developed) with developing two airports within 50 miles of each other.

Yeah... I know, it's stupid that we have two airports but it looks like these guys that built Branson's airport will be making a very pretty penny. You have to admit that it is impressive how they have managed to get these airlines to commit before they even open. What I meant about the competition is that out of Springfield's 13 destinations 5 are low cost: LAX, Pheonix, Las Vegas, Orlando and Tampa, with Minneapolis, Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Denver, Dallas, Memphis, and Detroit not being low-cost. Now that Branson has Atlanta, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee (with a fourth coming Dallas and/or Denver) being low cost, people from Springfield will start flying out of Branson to the low cost destinations that we don't have causing the airlines to lower their prices out of Springfield. I know we have to wait and see how Branson will do, but I'm not as skeptical as I was before.

Yeah... I know, it's stupid that we have two airports but it looks like these guys that built Branson's airport will be making a very pretty penny. You have to admit that it is impressive how they have managed to get these airlines to commit before they even open. What I meant about the competition is that out of Springfield's 13 destinations 5 are low cost: LAX, Pheonix, Las Vegas and Orlando, with Tampa, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Chicago, St. Louis, Denver, Dallas, Memphis, and Detroit not being low-cost. Now that Branson has Atlanta, Minneapolis, and Milwaukee (with a fourth coming Dallas and/or Denver) being low cost, people from Springfield will start flying out of Branson to the low cost destinations that we don't have causing the airlines to lower their prices out of Springfield. I know we have to wait and see how Branson will do, but I'm not as skeptical as I was before.

Yeah, don't get me wrong...I wish both all the success. Maybe they can feed off of each other...

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we've now picked up direct flights to Las Vegas now. It's being provided by Allegient the same airline providing the flights to LAX.

I knew they would come... I would bet that Orlando and Tampa are next, maybe Pheonix. I was always befuddled as to why they weren't flying out of XNA 3 years ago.

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if Allegiant has started the LA and Vegas flights out of XNA yet? Has there been any other destinations added from allegiant?

For anyone who wants to see them, the link below is to photos of the new Midfield Terminal in Springfield.

http://www.flyspringfield.com/scrapbook/index.htm

BTW... the Branson airport is reportedly doing very well. All the flights have been almost full thus far.

I was wondering if Allegiant has started the LA and Vegas flights out of XNA yet? Has there been any other destinations added from allegiant?

For anyone who wants to see them, the link below is to photos of the new Midfield Terminal in Springfield.

http://www.flyspringfield.com/scrapbook/index.htm

BTW... the Branson airport is reportedly doing very well. All the flights have been almost full thus far.

No offense, but what images I could find of the Branson terminal are, well...hmmm...about on par with most structures in Branson. Yikes.

The Springfield terminal looks quite nice, as one might expect.

No offense, but what images I could find of the Branson terminal are, well...hmmm...about on par with most structures in Branson. Yikes.

The Springfield terminal looks quite nice, as one might expect.

Yeah, the Branson airport definately isn't a wonder to the eye, but it serves it's purpose. I think the reason the Branson terminal wasn't as elabrate as it could have been is because of how much money they spent on earth movement. They originally were going to build a two story teminal with jet bridges, but when the bids came in for the "earth movement" they took that aspect out.

The Branson airport has got some very good publicity with articles in the New York times, Ass. Press, St. Louis Post Dispatch, and the Chicago Tribune. Since it's the first privately funded commercial airport in the country, many people are watching and waiting to see how they do.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Pretty big story which no one has yet commented on is the terminal expansion at XNA. Apparently it will bring the total number of REAL gates to 12 or 13. Construction is already underway, and it appears to be a large undertaking, although I am no longer in the area and can't go check it out.

Also building a new back-up runway, which I believe will run parallel to the older one.

I think this is a wonderful development. Especially since I worked at the airport when I was in college and caught a lot of the snide remarks from people getting off planes in the "walk bridge."

This should finally give it a nice feel, fit for the area.

Glad to see see both Arkansas airports receiving major, and much deserved (even more so in LR) upgrades.

Stroy from June 30th here:

http://www.4029tv.co...389/detail.html

Edited by Sammy00

Pretty big story which no one has yet commented on is the terminal expansion at XNA. Apparently it will bring the total number of REAL gates to 12 or 13. Construction is already underway, and it appears to be a large undertaking, although I am no longer in the area and can't go check it out.

Also building a new back-up runway, which I believe will run parallel to the older one.

I think this is a wonderful development. Especially since I worked at the airport when I was in college and caught a lot of the snide remarks from people getting off planes in the "walk bridge."

This should finally give it a nice feel, fit for the area.

Glad to see see both Arkansas airports receiving major, and much deserved (even more so in LR) upgrades.

Stroy from June 30th here:

http://www.4029tv.co...389/detail.html

Thanks for the reminder. Yeah guess I never got around to posting that.

• 5 months later...

I had been looking for some renderings of the new terminal expansion ever since it had been announced and finally found some...

Airport Magazine had an article on XNA back in 2008 and it had the following images:

Thanks for the info. Not sure if anything has changed since those 2008 plans. But still should give everyone a good idea of what's to come.

I worked at the airport a few years ago while going to school and there was a very interesting rendering of the airport's "Master Plan" kept in one of their large meeting rooms. The new terminal is lengthened and a matching terminal mirrors it on the opposite side, while another 10,000 foot runway parallels the current, shorter one. I can't remember how the entrance changed, but I believe it was expanded on each side to accommodate more ticket counters and luggage pickup.

Very interesting, wish it was still fresh in my mind.

Edited by Sammy00

• 1 month later...

I haven't seen this mentioned, so I'll post it. Just got an ad for Allegiant --- I've used their LA flight --- saying that they now fly to Phoenix-Mesa from XNA. This would be their fourth destination and the Phoenix area is a good addition in my opinion.

Apparently this news has been around since Sep somewhere, but never mentioned on the forum.

Edited by RAK