Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA)

mcheiss

Southwest might have to bend a little, and add maybe 2-3 flights to Dallas, and possibly 2 to Chicago, those are the only destinations I could see most profitable. JetBlue could send an ERJ-190 (carries about 90 people) to XNA from JFK or Boston, and that could be like 6 weekly flights.

Southwest might have to bend a little, and add maybe 2-3 flights to Dallas, and possibly 2 to Chicago, those are the only destinations I could see most profitable. JetBlue could send an ERJ-190 (carries about 90 people) to XNA from JFK or Boston, and that could be like 6 weekly flights.

I think that might work, but it would be the maximum we could support initially and probably the minimum Southwest could support, if they could at all.

One or two daily flights on regional jets from JetBlue (like you mentioned) or Frontier are much more realistic than Southwest.  

Edited by jb1087

The deal with Dallas is a cost issue with just driving 5 and a half hrs. That's how we decide whether to fly or not. I consider it our 6 hour rule. I understand the Dallas flight would be the connector for other destinations and with the massive influx of students from the metroplex there might be some well healed parents that would just rather fly in for a ball game or something. But Southwest got passed over for more gates at Love, they went to Virgin Atlantic. Many in Memphis thought they'd get a Dallas daily and didn't because of that. They are getting a Houston direct. Frontier said, well, well, well, and added 6 daily flights from Memphis to Dallas, one for each day of the week except Sat. and they are giving the first couple of months away at 40 bucks each way to promote the route. Since Delta dehubbed Memphis (remember XNA losing it's Memphis direct flight) and gained Southwest and Frontier the O and D passenger traffic in Memphis is going up and up. I figure Frontier would be the most likely of the bigger name LLCs to try XNA. I just think it's an untapped market because it's so business oriented with the high cost associated with that. Is there any solid info on how many folks use the Tulsa airport. A co worker of mine has used Ft. Smith over XNA before in going to Houston.

The deal with Dallas is a cost issue with just driving 5 and a half hrs. That's how we decide whether to fly or not. I consider it our 6 hour rule. I understand the Dallas flight would be the connector for other destinations and with the massive influx of students from the metroplex there might be some well healed parents that would just rather fly in for a ball game or something. But Southwest got passed over for more gates at Love, they went to Virgin Atlantic. Many in Memphis thought they'd get a Dallas daily and didn't because of that. They are getting a Houston direct. Frontier said, well, well, well, and added 6 daily flights from Memphis to Dallas, one for each day of the week except Sat. and they are giving the first couple of months away at 40 bucks each way to promote the route. Since Delta dehubbed Memphis (remember XNA losing it's Memphis direct flight) and gained Southwest and Frontier the O and D passenger traffic in Memphis is going up and up. I figure Frontier would be the most likely of the bigger name LLCs to try XNA. I just think it's an untapped market because it's so business oriented with the high cost associated with that. Is there any solid info on how many folks use the Tulsa airport. A co worker of mine has used Ft. Smith over XNA before in going to Houston.

I don't see why Fort Smith would ever have lower fares than XNA.  They literally have 6 or 7 flights daily, between Delta and American combined.  If fares are being heavily discounted, I don't see why those numbers wouldn't even decrease further.  

XNA is fairly reasonable if you're looking 3-6 months out, IMO.

Edited by jb1087

According to this article today, XNA may pass 600,000 enplanements this year, putting it on a level with Huntsville, AL.

...or at least it would have in 2011, using this list as a comparison.

The metro NWA population is something like 502,156 people as of today.  Still thinking that "transportation, transportation, transportation" will be the next big positive change we see as the metro moves past this benchmark, but that's just my opinion.

According to this info, we already passed Huntsville, AL in 2013:  http://www.faa.gov/airports/planning_capacity/passenger_allcargo_stats/passenger/media/preliminary-cy13-commercial-service-enplanements.pdf

Virgin America said that they would start a mini-hub out Lovefield, we could be surprised, XNA could a flight to Dallas with virgin. My guess is that they will use an A319 carries about 120 people and have a few flights a week. That that could be a far fetched idea.

If Southwest were to start it should be next late Spring, lets say mid-May right before the summer season begins and right before shareholders. Possible destinations should include

Dallas/Lovefield

Chicago/Midway

Atlanta

Houston/Hobby

...and a possible Baltimore flight.

Southwest's rather large presence in Tulsa is prohibitive for XNA. I'd be targeting the hell out of Frontier. Frontier flights could pull from the River Valley and even the Joplin/Springfield areas.

For the one that questioned me on Ft. Smith being cheaper, there's a older City Wire  article that had XNA's chief saying as much back in early 2014 or late 2013.

I'd like Houston service, it's close enough to drive on over to San Antonio without spending 11 hrs. in a car and both Houston and Galveston are  expanding their cruise terminals to accommodate the larger, newer ,fancier ships from norweigian, Royal Carribean, Disney, Princess, and even the McDonald's of the Seas, Carnival. Over the next decade, that area is adding tons of touristy stuff. SeaWorld in San Antonio is planning major work to bring it up to the other two park's level. There is theme parks planned for Houston and Galveston in addition to recently added attractions.

Edited by TRB

It may help that the Wright Amendment that's been hindering Love Field in Dallas will be essentially gone in October.  That'll mean that Southwest can start service to states that don't border Texas, which will lead to more connecting traffic through the airport.  

Here is hoping that Southwest will see the potential in XNA, its truly amazing of the diversity that XNA has to offer. The flights we have today are...

Atlanta 6 flights daily, one on mainline

Chicago/O'hare 10 flights daily

Dallas 7 flights daily, two on mainline

Los Angeles 1 flight daily

Houston 4 flights daily

Charlotte 3 flights daily

Detroit 1 flight daily

Minneapolis 2 flights daily

New York 2 flights daily

Newark 1 flight daily

Cincinnati 1 flight daily

Denver 1 flight daily

Las Vegas 2 flights weekly

Orlando 2 flights weekly

I used Allegiant out of XNA for the first time recently, haven't paid so little for a roundtrip in a long time.  If ever. 

We need more of the discounters here.  I still have to go to FSM and TUL every so often due to the extortionate rates at XNA.  Even Branson makes sense for some destinations.

For some reason I'm not able to link photos or websites here any more if someone  can help with that, that would be nice, but Branson is getting couple of new flights on 50seater jets to Houston Hobby for 99 bucks each way. Google it.

Here is hoping that Southwest will see the potential in XNA, its truly amazing of the diversity that XNA has to offer. The flights we have today are...

Atlanta 6 flights daily, one on mainline

Chicago/O'hare 10 flights daily

Dallas 7 flights daily, two on mainline

Los Angeles 1 flight daily

Houston 4 flights daily

Charlotte 3 flights daily

Detroit 1 flight daily

Minneapolis 2 flights daily

New York 2 flights daily

Newark 1 flight daily

Cincinnati 1 flight daily

Denver 1 flight daily

Las Vegas 2 flights weekly

Orlando 2 flights weekly

Apparently Detroit is ending very soon.  And honestly the only thing keeping Cincinnati connected is the P&G / WM link.  Delta is cutting Cincinnati left and right and Atlanta accomplishes the same thing in the general direction.  No reason for someplace like XNA to have service when even LIT doesn't.  Not to be the debbie downer, just realistic.  

Edited by jb1087

• 4 weeks later...

Noticed that in mid Feb 2015, Allegiant switches from Fri and Monday flights to Orlando to Thurs and Sun flights. Helps for weekend trips with the extra night and the 4:30ish departure time on Thurs and 2:00 departure from Orlando on Sun afternoon. This breaks us from the same Fri and Mon schedules that they operate from Tulsa and Springfield. I sure wish we had the Allegiant flight options that Springfield has with three different Florida airports. I wish they'd offer LAX year round too. Allegiant plans on offering new "somewhere" destinations from their, cough, cough, hack, "nowhere" cities like XNA.

Edited by TRB

Noticed that in mid Feb 2015, Allegiant switches from Fri and Monday flights to Orlando to Thurs and Sun flights. Helps for weekend trips with the extra night and the 4:30ish departure time on Thurs and 2:00 departure from Orlando on Sun afternoon. This breaks us from the same Fri and Mon schedules that they operate from Tulsa and Springfield. I sure wish we had the Allegiant flight options that Springfield has with three different Florida airports. I wish they'd offer LAX year round too. Allegiant plans on offering new "somewhere" destinations from their, cough, cough, hack, "nowhere" cities like XNA.

I think the Sunday return makes more sense than Monday. Same length of time, but you're back by the end of the weekend.  

• 4 weeks later...

Looking at last year's numbers, if XNA settled out at around 610,000 for 2014, it would put XNA in the 100 to 110 range on total enplanement ranking and if Little Rock continues to lose to Memphis on the Southwest front, could pass it within 5 years for the largest in the state. Wish Frontier's Den to Mem route continues to grow to where they could be convinced to add another daily with a XNA bunny hop (where passengers from a Den/Mem don't actually unboard to switch planes but passengers at XNA fill the unused capacity to go to either city) that would give XNA a nonstop to both. That's what Southwest did in Branson and the numbers were good, they just pulled out for other reasons. As Frontier grows, I really see them looking at Memphis as a mini hub. That daily except on Saturday MEM/DWF flight turned some heads and Memphis filled those suckers up.

I don't know if Frontier could work at XNA because, XNA only has one flight a day to DEN on a plane that carries only 50 people. The smallest airplane Frontier has is an A319 which carries about 130 people. I don't think we could do that aircraft daily, maybe 2-3 times a week though.

I don't know if Frontier could work at XNA because, XNA only has one flight a day to DEN on a plane that carries only 50 people. The smallest airplane Frontier has is an A319 which carries about 130 people. I don't think we could do that aircraft daily, maybe 2-3 times a week though.

Similar problem to Southwest.  Allegiant works because the schedule is so sparse.