Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA)

mcheiss

Plans for the access road to XNA can now go forward now that the 412 bypass has finally gotten aproval. Costs are going to be an issue though. Apparently when this road was first suggested in 1999 costs were estimated at around $16 Mil. But now there are estimates putting it closer to $70 Mil.

Here's a pic taken from the Arkansas Democrat Gazette via the NARPC of the proposed route.

img2374ss7ks.jpg

Edited by Mith242

would the airport have to wait for the 412 bypass to be completed before they could start construction on the access road?

The way I understand it, yes. Unless there's some other smaller road currently where that point is. I would think that maybe that might put emphasis on that end of the 412 bypass and try to get it to that point first. I'm not sure who decides things like this, maybe itk knows, but I'd think if it were up to Springdale they'd like to see that part of the 412 bypass finished first. I think a lot of us have agreed that that area could really be beneficial to Springdale. I bet that it will be a hot spot for development once the roads are there for it.

^ Yep. That's the word I've been hearing-- the western portion of the 412 bypass has ultimate priority. Mainly because (1) the access road to XNA can't be built without the western portion and (2) Springdale/Cave Springs/Elm Springs/Tontitown have developments under construction and planned like crazy out there.

I was at a meeting not too long ago with some city staff, a lawyer, developer, engineer/planners, and the school super involving a huge, huge development in that area (maybe it's better I don't say who right now) where the planned 412 bypass would cut through. The developers obviously don't want to build houses somewhere only to have them torn down in several years for a new freeway. Plus the school district already purchased property from said developer for a brand new elementry school which they plan to open in Fall 07 (and didn't have any other property in the area), which meant that they HAD to have it-- only problem is, is that it almost falls in the path of the bypass (of course if they would've known that before they probably wouldn't have bought it). Fortunately, it looks like, although I say this prematurely, that the future school and some homes won't be in the way... hopefully. But this just illustrates some of the problems facing AHTD right now in that area... and why they wan't to hurry up and buy the ROW there.

^ Yep. That's the word I've been hearing-- the western portion of the 412 bypass has ultimate priority. Mainly because (1) the access road to XNA can't be built without the western portion and (2) Springdale/Cave Springs/Elm Springs/Tontitown have developments under construction and planned like crazy out there.

I was at a meeting not too long ago with some city staff, a lawyer, developer, engineer/planners, and the school super involving a huge, huge development in that area (maybe it's better I don't say who right now) where the planned 412 bypass would cut through. The developers obviously don't want to build houses somewhere only to have them torn down in several years for a new freeway. Plus the school district already purchased property from said developer for a brand new elementry school which they plan to open in Fall 07 (and didn't have any other property in the area), which meant that they HAD to have it-- only problem is, is that it almost falls in the path of the bypass (of course if they would've known that before they probably wouldn't have bought it). Fortunately, it looks like, although I say this prematurely, that the future school and some homes won't be in the way... hopefully. But this just illustrates some of the problems facing AHTD right now in that area... and why they wan't to hurry up and buy the ROW there.

Thanks for the update itk. I hadn't thought about it before but I wonder if there will be long delays between sections completed on the 412 bypass. But just having some sections done could still prove helpful.

Northwest Arkansas has seen it's share of new words like "upscale", "mixed-use" and "condos". I have a feeling Northwest Arkansas is going to learn another new word... "eminent domain". I don't see how the cities are going to be able to complete all these new road projects without scooting someone out of the way.

Northwest Arkansas has seen it's share of new words like "upscale", "mixed-use" and "condos". I have a feeling Northwest Arkansas is going to learn another new word... "eminent domain". I don't see how the cities are going to be able to complete all these new road projects without scooting someone out of the way.

I've heard of this becoming a big thing in other areas of the country. You're probably right and it will be affecting us as well in the near future.

• 1 month later...

Didn't see that.

I know Little Rock National offers Wi-Fi, and I think Ft. Smith Regional also provides Wi-Fi.

Can you name the two Wi-Fi services?

AT&T's Freedom link and Spectrum Telecom. Ft Smith's started just a couple of months ago, they've got Cox.

• 1 month later...

I was checking the Arkansas Planning Commission Website for Plumbing, and it showed that American Airlines submitted plans for an American Airlines for a suite at XNA. Not sure what this is or what it means is in store for XNA, but it sure is exciting.

Do you have a link to that?

Are you sure that that text doesnt refer to an address as being "American Airlines, One Airport Rd, Suite 100" ?

American refers to their suites as "Admiral's Club", they never refer to them as a "suite".

Anyays it'd be nice to see it happen.

Again, as I said, I wasn't sure what it means, it could just be office space.

• 2 weeks later...

Airport officials moved ahead Wednesday with plans to expand the ticket counter and security checkpoint space and on the design of an upper-level concourse.

This is a move the airport needs for extra space to handle existing airlines and to help bring in a low-cost carrier to attract more travelers,

The airport board awarded a $ 4. 4 million contract to Nabholz Construction in Rogers to expand the ticket counter and security checkpoint area. The roughly $ 6 million project will extend the counter by 90 feet to make room for two more airlines. It is expected to be completed in 2007.

The board also chose a concept design plan for an estimated $ 15 million upper-level concourse on the airport