Northwest Arkansas Regional Airport (XNA)

mcheiss

Okay maybe someone who knows more about airports can explain this to me. In today's Northwest Arkansas Times they are reporting that Drake Field here in Fayetteville was busier than XNA during the month of June. Drake Field logged 6,934 operations compared to XNA's 5,059. Can anyone explain what an operatio is compared to a flight? And how can Drake be busier than XNA? If Drake keeps doing well could this end up drawing more Fayetteville back to Drake and possibly hurt XNA having two airports instead of just one regional one?

Drake has a lot of personal aircraft. If someone takes off in their little personal 2 seat aircraft that counts as an operation, say they fly around for 5 minutes and land, that is another operation. Drake has some corporate jets as well, but most of those are do to personal aircrat in and out of the airport. Isn't there some flying school there as well? Drake does not have any commerical service anymore, the only commerical service is at XNA.

Ah okay, so basically there's a lot of small personal flights taking place as opposed to larger planes at XNA. Still have to say I'm surprised Drake is doing as well as it is. I thought XNA might put it under. Although I guess there are still needs for it. But it just won't be able to do a lot of the things that XNA can. I also wonder if the fact that XNA isn't very accessable because of the road situation helps Drake very much. That and it is a bit of a drive compared to just going to Drake. I still say not everyone in Fayetteville is used to having to leave the city to do things.

I think I've seen XNA listed as "Bentonville" in some other airports. I also remember my last flight arriving in XNA the pilot said "...service to Bentonville..." in his pre-flight speech.

It's no wonder people would call it that.

Yeah it is right there near Bentonville, but I still dislike that. Maybe that's just the Fayetteville part of me. But I prefer to think of it as the airport for NWA, although it certainly benefits Bentonville and a particular company with it's HQ there.

Okay maybe someone who knows more about airports can explain this to me. In today's Northwest Arkansas Times they are reporting that Drake Field here in Fayetteville was busier than XNA during the month of June. Drake Field logged 6,934 operations compared to XNA's 5,059. Can anyone explain what an operatio is compared to a flight? And how can Drake be busier than XNA? If Drake keeps doing well could this end up drawing more Fayetteville back to Drake and possibly hurt XNA having two airports instead of just one regional one?

Rogers airport has always been Number two for number of operations, I don't understand.

I wish we could close down certain airports like Springdale, Rogers, or Bentonville, and alleviate traffic to XNA. I think costs would be down because of less maintenance costs, crews, etc. It'll never happen, but it would be nice to have one airport instead of 4 small ones and a regional one.

I wish we could close down certain airports like Springdale, Rogers, or Bentonville, and alleviate traffic to XNA. I think costs would be down because of less maintenance costs, crews, etc. It'll never happen, but it would be nice to have one airport instead of 4 small ones and a regional one.

true, I imagine having four small airports in the area doesn't help XNA. Or it makes it harder in some ways when people do have other options even if they are limited. Although I will say maybe they could have located it a bit more centrally in the metro, maybe around Lowell. I think having it that far north makes it more likely that people here on the southern end of the metro might consider other options like Drake. Then again Drake used to be the airport for NWA so I think it has some use.

Personally I think that is a bad idea. Corps use airports close to their HQ or where they are doing business to save time. Smaller airports make it easier for individuals to own and operate a plane. If someone is wanting to do business in say Springdale with Tyson, why would you want to fly to Drake or XNA. Being form Siloam Springs, we have an airport, and it really helps the smaller companies such as Allens, Simmons and Cobb.

true, I imagine having four small airports in the area doesn't help XNA. Or it makes it harder in some ways when people do have other options even if they are limited. Although I will say maybe they could have located it a bit more centrally in the metro, maybe around Lowell. I think having it that far north makes it more likely that people here on the southern end of the metro might consider other options like Drake. Then again Drake used to be the airport for NWA so I think it has some use.

The 4 smaller airports do not compete with business with XNA. XNA is the ONLY commerical airport in NWA and if you are not using a private plane or company plane, your only opinon in NWA is XNA. The amount of operations have no impact on the airport, its just a numbe they release. Airports make their money on renting hanger spaces and selling fuel. XNA makes its money from the commerical planes, who rent space from the airport to operate from there. Drake is not an option for people wanting to fly commerical. If you want to fly commerical you can fly XNA, FT. Smith, Tulsa, Springfield, so I don't understand how people who live in Fayetteville might consider other options.

The 4 smaller airports do not compete with business with XNA. XNA is the ONLY commerical airport in NWA and if you are not using a private plane or company plane, your only opinon in NWA is XNA. The amount of operations have no impact on the airport, its just a numbe they release. Airports make their money on renting hanger spaces and selling fuel. XNA makes its money from the commerical planes, who rent space from the airport to operate from there. Drake is not an option for people wanting to fly commerical. If you want to fly commerical you can fly XNA, FT. Smith, Tulsa, Springfield, so I don't understand how people who live in Fayetteville might consider other options.

Of Course, but it's probably cheaper just to have one major airport instead of a several airports.

What about Pinnacle air in Rogers. Do they not offer private commercial flights. I could understand a company like that benefitting from a location at Drake. Those wishing to just fly in and out of Fayetteville.

What about Pinnacle air in Rogers. Do they not offer private commercial flights. I could understand a company like that benefitting from a location at Drake. Those wishing to just fly in and out of Fayetteville.

They fly out of Springdale Executive Airport. Pinnacle Air does offer private charter service. They have a fleet of nine aircraft. I'm pretty sure they won't be leaving Springdale since J.B. Hunt has committed to keeping this FBO (Fixed Base Operator) to booster Springdale's economy.

I'm almost suprise he didn't build an airstrip next to his Promenade and move it there. :lol:

Your right they do have private commerical flights, but how many people/companies have and are willing to pay that type of money when you can fly commerical at XNA for a few hundred.

Ah I see. I wonder if there's many businesses or businessmen who have their own planes and fly out of there on a regular basis.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...