Parramore's Future: Highrise Development or No?

DelGreco

That's the difference for me: Wynwood has permanent murals that look like paintings and feature different styles, media, and political messages.

But a lot of what Orlando promotes (Drunken Monkey, Pho88, etc.) is in a more standard graffiti style and usually temporary. (Not to mention sponsored by Red Bull...) Personally, I think graffiti reminiscent of New York in the '80s looks out of place here.

What I love about Wynwood is that you can walk the district and lose yourself in this sort of quasi-surrealist art state.  Kudos to Mark Coetzee for bringing the idea to Wynwood back in the early 2000s.  Wynwood is benefited by Art Basel, helping it to become one of the largest open-air art installations in the world.

• 6 months later...

The below photo by prahaboheme (Thank You!) inspired me to do my annual walk through Parramore...all I can say is WOW! What a transformation...you can feel the energy/vibe building up. Have we reached critical mass to finally make Parramore a "showcase" of Orlando pride and urban transformation?

A quick google search revealed the proposed Parramore Oaks development on Parramore Ave...this is an amazing development that rivals most developments east of I-4. Does anyone know if this is a go..and when?

image.jpeg

OCSC Stadium...looking east on W South St....photo courtesy of prahaboheme

Parramore Oaks sketch

Parramore Oaks rendering. Sout Parramore Ave (just past 408 underpass) Top Candidate identified...........courtesy of Invicta Development

os-parramore-brewery-beer-garden-20160912.jpg

Beer Garden on W Central...yippie!!! Octoberfest in Orlando!

• Like 4

I don't think I have ever driven around in that tight inner corner of the Southwest quadrant of the I-4/408 interchange ... It's so cutoff from the downtown core. Can't get to it without crossing under a major interchange or under 2 separate highways. Looks like a good project, though. Affordable housing is needed over there I'm sure.

On 9/28/2016 at 3:01 PM, castorvx said:

I don't think I have ever driven around in that tight inner corner of the Southwest quadrant of the I-4/408 interchange ... It's so cutoff from the downtown core. Can't get to it without crossing under a major interchange or under 2 separate highways. Looks like a good project, though. Affordable housing is needed over there I'm sure.

I believe this development will surround the new Riley Park, on both sides of Parramore Ave, just under 408. It should be a nice addition for the residents and a catalyst for further activity. The article by thedailycity.com says Invicta Development was selected by the City of Orlando, with ONIC proposal as backup. It appears they have started to apply for funding. Never heard of Invictus Development, but they are a Tampa based company and were supposedly in the running for Tampa's West River development.

On 9/28/2016 at 3:01 PM, castorvx said:

The Griffin Housing Project? Yeah, it's practically surrounded on all sides by highways and ramps. Affordable housing would be a great addition to the area.

4 hours ago, Closet_Urbanite said:

I believe this development will surround the new Riley Park, on both sides of Parramore Ave, just under 408. It should be a nice addition for the residents and a catalyst for further activity. The article by thedailycity.com says Invicta Development was selected by the City of Orlando, with ONIC proposal as backup. It appears they have started to apply for funding. Never heard of Invictus Development, but they are a Tampa based company and were supposedly in the running for Tampa's West River development.

The land where the ramp currently sits on? I don't know what kind of timetable Ultimate I-4 is going on, but it's probably going to be years before they substantially complete the new flyovers and close the old ramps.

I'm all for the Parramore Oaks development on the west side of Parramore, but was kind of hoping the land between Parramore and Avondale would just be turned into park space, as an addition Riley Park, plus the strip of land to the south and even passing Gore. To the north it could tie into the Checkers Park under 408 with a gateway feature to signify entry into "main street" Parramore Ave between the 408 and stadium. Riley Park could then become a pretty large park, better serving "downtown" Parramore, plus the residents of the Griffin Housing Project and new residents of Parramore Oaks, if it happens. One thing that I think would be really cool is preserving parts of the ramp structures and convert it into a sort of mini Highline-type linear park, starting at Parramore/408 and ending at the Columbia/Division intersection in Downtown South with connections to the Amtrak station and ORMC complex. Those ramps are slated to be torn down eventually, and FDOT just wants to build more retention ponds. Without too much work the ponds can be made into a series of mini parks, also plant a bunch of trees in all this vacant land around the interchange to make nice urban forests, connected by a green pedestrian/bike corridor created by the old overpass ramps, Orlando's very own Highline. Everyone talks about a lack of green space and parks here, but I see this area as having a huge potential in creating green space. Too bad neither FDOT nor the City has this kind of visionary thinking.

Edited by metal93
typo

55 minutes ago, metal93 said:

The Griffin Housing Project? Yeah, it's practically surrounded on all sides by highways and ramps. Affordable housing would be a great addition to the area.

I wasn't talking about that. I don't think I realized that place even existed. Wow. It looks like a prison. It would be hard to feel good about life living on the interior of an onramp loop.

• 9 months later...

I do not have Growthspotter access, but do follow them on Twitter as they break news such as this:

Gastropub planned for renovated building near OCS on Parramore:

https://twitter.com/orlandogrowth/status/888027716116553728

There has been a lot of recent discussion here regarding the merits of smaller buildings vs. large-scale development. It is my thought that we can allow these to exist harmoniously. Not every building can be of architectural merit worthy of historic distinction, but we must consider they still have a place in the urban fabric of the city and tell a story.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I do not have Growthspotter access, but do follow them on Twitter as they break news such as this:

There has been a lot of recent discussion here regarding the merits of smaller buildings vs. large-scale development. It is my thought that we can allow these to exist harmoniously. Not every building can be of architectural merit worthy of historic distinction, but we must consider they still have a place in the urban fabric of the city and tell a story.

absolutely!  IMO, unless you are going to build a concrete and brick building, or stainless and green glass facade, do not tear down these old buildings. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

Some details from the article:

• 532 West Church Street (across from CityView)
  • The District Gastro Bar/Social Eating House 
  • First phase of what may be multiple property redevelopments
  • Goal of opening in 2018

Current:

gastropub.thumb.PNG.c96a1ab801265a7e7230f99bb96e6fa5.PNG

Rendering:

DFLkFUhWsAETUhD.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 11:25 PM, prahaboheme said:

This looks like a second similar project by this developer (Tim Green?)...not sure if I ever met him, but I think he might be on to something big.

New bar and cafe coming near soccer stadium - Lions Den

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/consumer/os-bz-soccer-stadium-bar-20170803-story.html

LionsDen.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 9:14 AM, jrs2 said:

absolutely!  IMO, unless you are going to build a concrete and brick building, or stainless and green glass facade, do not tear down these old buildings. 

There is a constant stream of olllld homes getting bulldozed & replaced by new buildings only because they're outside the stupidly tiny historic-designated  areas. Those areas IMHO need to be removed and each case should be based on its own, regardless of location. This city has so few old buildings (and old trees) and the City and developers *do not* value them unless they're forced to. Meh. Bleh.

• 2 weeks later...